Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ok, got me a Giant Cave Spider. What now?  (Read 1026 times)

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
Ok, got me a Giant Cave Spider. What now?
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:48:22 am »

Well, I've captured one of the most coveted creatures in the world. How should I use it? Not sure if it climbs walls or anything trippy like that, so I don't really want to throw it in a pit without some advice. Here's some questions.

*How can I get it in a pit and running around safely (for my favored dwarves, at least, not the poor sods I throw in there).
*How much is it worth to trade?
*Any way to find out more about it while it's in a cage?
*Any awesome ideas of how I could put it to use?

No chance of taming it, as the beast tasted blood devouring one of my woodcutters.

Thanks for reading.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Ok, got me a Giant Cave Spider. What now?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:50:39 am »

There was a topic earlier today on silk farming, try searching for that, that'll net you way more money then you would get if you just sold the thing. :P

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:57:23 am »

There are many potential uses for a giant cave spider, most of them gruesome.

1. Noble dispatcher.
2. Arena entertainment.
3. Migrant killer.
4. Silk farming.

Once you decide what you want to do with it, you can transport it in the cage and release it with a lever. It's the safest way. Doing it any other way might be fortress ending.

*Any way to find out more about it while it's in a cage?

Find out what about it? Giant Cave Spiders are always female, they have an abdomen, a thorax, and a cephalothorax, eight legs, mandibles, and shoot giant cave spider silk that entangles any creature that walks into it. They also have [NO_PAIN], so they won't stop fighting just because of a missing limb, if that's what you're wondering.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 03:07:44 am »

I heard its worth building an elaborate set up to collect silk from it.

You basically build a cage on one end of a maze dug out with channels to maximum travel time. attach the cage to a lever, and While the GCS paths in for the kill on a chained kitten or whatever, it shoots web at the cat protected by a fortification, and is caught in a cage trap to be used over again. The fortification might be unnessicary. Not sure if they stop once their target its webbed or not or if the silk is collectible if it actually entangles its target.

Not sure if that works, but in theory it should, somebody else might confirm, its my plan if I ever find one. Whatever you do, don't try to pit the thing.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:19:53 am »

Once you decide what you want to do with it, you can transport it in the cage and release it with a lever. It's the safest way. Doing it any other way might be fortress ending.

If you want to risk a worker rather than waste a mechanism, you could set up a "spider lock", connecting multiple doors and drawbridges (to be used to block halls when "open") to create the lock-out system.  If the spider gets past barrier X, you don't open barrier Y.

Of course, that will use far more mechanisms than you'd lose, but if it's the principle of the thing, then it's an option.

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:31:20 am »

So can they climb up walls?  Also, do they lay eggs or produce any young?
http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:48 am »

I could check really quickly, but I don't think they have any breeding information, so no eggs or little giant cave spiders running around tearing up your fortress.

And no creature can climb walls currently.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:19:00 am »

Sadly they dont eat goblins, imo the biggest Flaw currently.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:46:22 am »

Slightly offtopic, I never got the deal with silk farming for clothes or trade anyway. If I need silk, I buy it in ridiculously large quantities from caravans (for moods only, since I don't produce clothes. Clothes only make the fortress a mess in the current version.. at least, in my experience). For trading? Who needs money? With every single ambush or siege I get so many goblin corpses, full of really expensive giant cave spider clothing. Bones and skulls serve nicely as crafts and totems for trade.

I'd say, noble killer pit spider!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:32 pm »

Sadly they dont eat goblins, imo the biggest Flaw currently.

Really? What about kobolds?

Right now she's just raging in the middle of my main entrance hall. The dwarves keep organizing parties around her.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 07:35:04 pm »

GCS need a path to spit web at anything. Abuse the broken pet unpathable doors for this, they just think they can get to the prey through those. Raise a bridge to block LoS when harvesting

I'm not entirely sure whether hostile animals work for this though

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 07:45:16 pm »

It should as long as they don't have the [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] tag.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:04:48 am »

They're Buildingdestroyer:1's
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.