Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many zlevels does it take to get to the center of an elf?  (Read 1877 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol

I want to be sieged by elves... What is the best way to get this to happen?

Do I just keep trying to feed them bones and wood, or should I keep seizing their merchandise or killing the caravans from a zlevel drop?

Also, with my title question, how far should I drop my trade depot with the elves on it to kill them?
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: How many zlevels does it take to get to the center of an elf?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:06:22 am »

They are very tolerant hippies. Seizing their merchandise and killing their caravans is a far greater offense than offering them wood.

*snicker*

Killing the diplomat, however, will always get them to ambush you.

As to the z-level question, the answer is obvious. As many as possible.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:41:34 am »

AS a fun engineering project, make a few layers of carp filled water halfway through the drop, and somehow allow for the caravan to fall through without the water hitting the magma at the bottom of the drop. I advise an insane amount of pumps.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:04:04 am »

The few times I've gotten sieged by elfs, it was when I hoarded over 500 logs ( Hey, tower-cap farms, gotta keep 'em growing  ;D ) I haven't had any luck with other methods.

As for the drop. One level will do the job, but as high as possible will make it safer for your dwarves to drop the constructs  ;D

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:34:03 am »

As high as possible. I had a very deep artifical chasm dug out once in an ambitious but short-sighted defense set-up, and I had enemies/Elite soldiers falling at at least 8 z-levels and then landing in the bottom with only yellow injuries! My mind was blown both by the utter and unexpected back-firing of my setup and the fact that some of them survived the fall!

I've never managed to go to war with the elves, but I hear that killing them outright and agreeing to a tree-cutting limitation and then breaking it can instigate a war.

I honestly value them more for the wood and booze they bring every spring then as some sup-par seigers with crappy weapons and worthless armor. That said, I can think of many ways to kill of a trade caravan. Just locking them in a room with a trade depot and flooding it with water would be a good, reusable way to piss off the elves and preserve their precious bones in a large stack and the rest of the stuff they brought. Falling deaths break up their bodies and you get like -Elf Bone Bolts [5]- and all that.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:01:15 am »

Is there a trick to getting the elven diplomat to show up? I've never seen him(/her).
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:33 am »

They generally show up when you reach a certain fort size/worth...

Once they deem that you may become a great enough threat to the trees of the area...

then...

Fire.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »

O-hun! Tu-who! The-ree! *Crunch* hammerdwarf was waiting for em.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25:05 pm »

Once they deem that you may become a great enough threat to the trees of the area...

then...

Fire.

Funny how they equate your ecological threat with your fortress wealth.  In most of my fortresses I've clear cut the entire map long before getting an elvish diplomat (Still haven't gotten one actually, how weird.)  I think I'd have trouble breaking the trade agreement just because there wouldn't be enough trees.

Oh, and if your trying to piss off the elves, make your Trade Depot out of soap.  No game affect, but think how much they should be grossed out by a building made from burned wood AND dead animals.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »

I recommend using a bottomless pit...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:58:26 pm »

I set up the raws so that elves come every season, and so I have been slaughtering every elfish caravan that comes with my 15 zlevel drop. It makes quick work of the elves, and I get the brilliant picture of bouncing elf limbs.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 11:53:21 pm »

I fire ballistas at them every time they show themselves ... so far they tolerate me and accept it as accidents. I even trapped an entire party of elves and starved them to death once.

Tolerant bastards.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 11:58:32 pm »

I'm at 5 million dwarfbucks and the pop cap. No elven diplomat. Do I need a noble handy?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:11:28 am »

They only talk to the baron/count/duke, so you have to have one for them to send a diplomat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:17:13 am »

Blah blah blah, set up roads surronded with wood dead bodies, and dead body byproducts, strategically place torture rooms filled with animals that the elves can view at, through vertical bars/past a channel.

Steal some stuff, kill and/or injure most of the caravan, torture the diplomat, keep the diplomat as a hostage, eventually release it, then kill it next time.

And if you are good at it, hold them all hostage, then steal their stuff, and injure most of them ( the outliers, are casualties ) , then release, and keep the diplomat away from meeting with their target.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:21:53 am by Foa »
Pages: [1] 2