Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving water off-map?  (Read 3443 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving water off-map?
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »

Is it possible to channel water to the edge of the map and off it, or does it simply hit an invisible barrier and flood over?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Moving water off-map?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »

Sadly, you can't channel the edge tiles of a map.
but water WILL flow off the side of the map, just like rivers and brooks.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:40:06 pm »

Also, you can't build within a few tiles of the edge of the map, which makes it difficult to evacuate water that way.

There are a few other ways to remove excess water, though they depend on a few map features that you may not have access to. Chasms and bottomless pits are an obvious option. Aquifers can also absorb an infinite amount of water poured on it. I heard that brooks also absorb water, but I'm not sure about that one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:45 pm »

How do I dump the water into aquifer?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:55:37 pm »

dig a channel into the aquifer from above and start pouring in water.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:23 am »

Dropping water on top of a river or brook works just fine, btw.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:11:40 am »

5 replys and not one mention of the dwarven atom smasher? i'm surprised.

a raising bridge destroys whatever is under it when it lowers. also, a closing floodgate can atom smash water (and probably other stuff) 1 tile at a time.

i wouldn't use this personally, as it is a bug/cheat imo, but it works.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:12:10 am »

cant you use tweak to tile-edit the edge map tiles?

if you can its easy to remove it.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »

You can build bridges to the edge of the map no? Two raised bridges should be able to take over for walls once your that close.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:34:50 pm »

You can build bridges to the edge of the map no? Two raised bridges should be able to take over for walls once your that close.

I've done this accidentally a couple times before actually doing it intentionally for some of my trade paths and water containment to the edge, it's working for me so far  ;D

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:20 pm »

5 replys and not one mention of the dwarven atom smasher? i'm surprised.

a raising bridge destroys whatever is under it when it lowers. also, a closing floodgate can atom smash water (and probably other stuff) 1 tile at a time.

i wouldn't use this personally, as it is a bug/cheat imo, but it works.
For the record anything other than water will cause a floodgate to stay stuck open.

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 09:52:30 pm »

Also, you can't build within a few tiles of the edge of the map, which makes it difficult to evacuate water that way.

There are a few other ways to remove excess water, though they depend on a few map features that you may not have access to. Chasms and bottomless pits are an obvious option. Aquifers can also absorb an infinite amount of water poured on it. I heard that brooks also absorb water, but I'm not sure about that one.

Brooks do absorb water, luckily.

I had just made my first water wheel powered pump and took my eye off of it before completion.  I cam back and there was about a 100 square tile flooding of the area but it was draining into the brook so i was able to deconstruct the pump and save the lower half of my map from turning into a large lake.

PheonixIV

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 06:06:47 am »

Somone recently discovered that while you can't dig out the far edge of the map, you can smooth the rock on the edge of the map and then carve a fortification in it.

If the map has an aquifer, apparantly water will then pour from outside the map into it through the fortifications, but if it does not have an aquifer then the fortification drains water at a truely ludicrous rate. I just ran a test and with a single tile wide tunnel leading to a single fortification i was able to drain the underground river entirely in about 5 seconds; water was draining out faster than it was falling in from the waterfall.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:37:25 am »

Somone recently discovered that while you can't dig out the far edge of the map, you can smooth the rock on the edge of the map and then carve a fortification in it.

If the map has an aquifer, apparantly water will then pour from outside the map into it through the fortifications, but if it does not have an aquifer then the fortification drains water at a truely ludicrous rate. I just ran a test and with a single tile wide tunnel leading to a single fortification i was able to drain the underground river entirely in about 5 seconds; water was draining out faster than it was falling in from the waterfall.

you just solved all my water problems
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:08 am »

If the map has an aquifer, apparantly water will then pour from outside the map into it through the fortifications, but if it does not have an aquifer then the fortification drains water at a truely ludicrous rate.

Is this the case even if the map has multiple biomes? For instance, if the map has one biome with an aquifer and one without, if you carve a fortification on a non-aquiferous edge of the map, will water still come in?
Pages: [1] 2