Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: cyclops  (Read 2858 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cyclops
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:57 pm »

i got a quest by the mayor to kill a cyclops i go where he said and, as you can imagine, i died.
i went there with 4 other adventurers and died
all before i could do anything right after he said he killed my other adventurers
how do i kill this cyclops, its starting to get personal

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: cyclops
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:48:11 pm »

Arm yourself with a crossbow/bow/anything throwable(aka, anything)
Train up throwing and get as much crossbow/bow skill as you can.
Throw stuff at the cyclops.
Win!
Alternatively, hang around the taverns in towns and recruit drunks, have them distract him while you hack away at his legs.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57:57 pm »

pick up hundreds of chert rocks, find a way to slow your fps to a crawl, and throw as fast as you can.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:44:25 am »

Creatures are totally oblivious when you are throwing stuff at them while sneaking. They'll go "Ow!" and not think anything more of it.

The best way I've found to incapacitate, and subsequently kill, one of those semi-megabeasts is by throwing an iron maul at it, hope it falls unconscious, and then cripple all of its limbs. After that, strangulation is usually the most reliable method.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:23:56 am »

the thing is as soon as i see it, even when i'm sneaking, he sees me and immediately kills me and since he is in a cave i can't see very far

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:07 am »

Cyclops have [CANLEARN], so this oculd be your problem, if he's flashing, then he's legendary in some skill. I remember when i tried to kill a certain cyclops and it turned 5 of my adventurers into -adventurer pulp- x5 untill i realised he was a legendary wrestler. So i came back with an ambusher/thrower and killed by throwing socks (and eventually a stell war hammer) at him untill he fell down, so i got close and crippled all his limbs and gouged his only eye out, then watched as he bled to death  ;D
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:56 am »

poke it eye out wit stick.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »

Heres my tip-o-the-day, before you do any REAL adventuring go into the wilderness and fight as many wolves as you can until your ultra-mighty.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:19:52 pm »

looking at this cyclops in dwarf mode it says that she is unbelievably agile and tough how do i find out her wrestling skill

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:05 am »

That suggestion about fighting wolves is a dangerous one. Their packs are sometimes large enough so that you can't kill them fast enough before one has torn your throat out.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:02 am »

I've found chasm monsters that use blunt attacks to be the best way to earn experience, especially if they're undead. Just find a chasm in Dwarf Fortress mode(be sure to edit the init file so that you can see chasms and pits), note the location and then find it in Adventure mode. Then slay every monster you can find, "T"ravel to another square and return. The monsters should have replenished their numbers. Usually you can get a couple of hundred kills before the monsters become scarce.

Undead critters are better for training because they do not faint from pain, and the zombies are slower, making it easy to run from them. On the other hand, undeads are slightly more dangerous. Keep away from things like undead Giant Bats and Trolls to begin with.

Troglodytes, ratmen and batmen are best for training, because they punch rather than bite. Biting monsters are always dangerous because they might(and will. Always) get lucky and tear your throat out. Not so with bludgeoning monsters. Just make sure you don't get surrounded, that usually ends in tears.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:42:52 am »

Ah, the cyclops. My first adventurer met his death at a cyclops' hands. Easy peasy, I thought! And then I died with my skull crushed.

I trained up my second adventurer in the mystic (and overpowered) arts of throwing and sneaking. When I finally came to him, I was hidden and throwing dirt at him. Unfortunately, it didn't do too much.. Most of it glanced away, and the rest only caused minor wounds. Then I found a bolt in my inventory and tried that. It went straight through his head, eye, brain and he died instantly.

Wow. Yeah, throwing is all you'll need. My next person will definitely be someone with a load of axes. Throwing axes! Chopping off limbs from a mile away!

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »

I tried gouging out his eye.
He ripped off my leg.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »

Throwing axes! Chopping off limbs from a mile away!
Oh so true, so true.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:24:49 pm »

Throwing axes! Chopping off limbs from a mile away!
Oh so true, so true.
makes more sense then my "pants ninja"
Pages: [1] 2 3