Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Even smaller, simpler and faster Repeater (with handy auto-regulating cistern)  (Read 13785 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile

Did you find out a way..

A way to dispose of pets/immigrants?

If you did, I love you.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, any really useful repeater needs to be somewhat slow - otherwise the thing it's triggering won't happen before the switch flips. Try hooking a spike trap to a lever and set the lever to repeat - the trap rarely, if ever, fires because the switch is toggling before the trap can fire. The bridge (should) pretty much force the repeater to be just slow enough to be reliable.

Well no, you don't want it to be TOO fast, but 200+ step cycles is WAY short of too fast to be reliable, and in fact would probably be much too slow for many applications.

Or did you mean faster to build, AncientEnemy? Because that it certainly is quick with. In any case, still a great concept. The reliability ought to be top-notch, and I'd bet this setup gives you really regular timing between switches, which I'm sure could be put to use in some really interesting ways (automated swimming pool aside, hehe).

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wanted to alter the timing of your spikes you could add another pressure plate and have them alternate :/
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

Wouldn't this repeater design be extraordinarily slow thanks to the delay of the bridge?

And the constant 3-4 level thing is bizarre, I can't think of any reason whatsoever it should do that... with the plate set to 7-7 there should ALWAYS be a full tile of water to flow into the cistern when the gates open, and when they close they should have about the same level as the rest of the cistern to destroy, keeping the level constant until the next full tile's released... odd...

I meant it's faster than a previous design I posted before. But it could be easily expanded to multiple pressure on alternate settings to provide a ON tick (just over) every 100. What application did you have in mind that needed even faster ticks? *sets out to build even faster device*

the 3/4 thing like i said is because the cistern eventually reaches an equilibrium:

-each tick exposes a block of 7/7 water to the cistern
-eventually the cistern reaches about 3/4 full
-each tick lets in only 3 or 4 water of the exposed 7/7 (because only water in excess of what's already in the cistern will flow into it from the repeater)
-each tick the floodgate smashes a tile's worth of 3/4.

so each cycle 3/4 water goes in, 3/4 gets removed, so it doesn't raise any higher than that

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

Did you find out a way..

A way to dispose of pets/immigrants?

If you did, I love you.

well, i showed the pet-annihilator on the first page. as for immigrants, just recruit em, station em on a spike trap or hatch leading to death, and throw a lever somewhere.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..

This is nifty enough to bump (and query if the promised faster one ever got built), and post on the wiki: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Repeater
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For those thinking of using this to kill pets/immigrants:

Remember that dwarves will happily go onto restricted tiles to retrieve remains / pig tail socks / etc. Make certain you turn off your repeating spike traps before that happens, or you'll get a bump rush into the death corridor to retrieve beloveds and clothing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile

Pressure plates are a dangerous way to regulate their own water flow. I set up a similar contraption a while ago - my fort sewer design consisted of a massive vertical cistern which was filled form the top by a river, and which was as deep as my fortress. (15 levels or so.) Each level tapped the cistern with a small pool on each floor, inside of which was a pressure plate which would open the pool to be flooded when the water was below 4, and close when above it.

Unfortunately, because water "sloshes" as it fills, this can cause the pressure plate to toggle faster than the bridge operates. The result was a stuck bridge, and the bottom 4 levels of my fortress got flooded with water. 6 dwarves survived the initial flooding thanks to being in watertight rooms, but 4 died of thirst/starvation before my miners managed to dig an alternate route down to get them out.

Since then, I've stuck to more conventional systems, such as relying on a constant flow of water and draining it off the map, etc.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

This design is actually immune to the problem you describe, since there's never an open path from the river to the cistern at any point in time - the only open path is either from the river to the pressure plate or from the pressure plate to the cistern.

The only way this one could go wrong would be if it somehow got jammed in one position, and that would only cause the cistern to dry up - in order for it to flood, a creature (e.g. a carp) would have to swim its way onto the floodgate when it was supposed to close (either due to a missing fortification/grate or from water pressure "pushing" it through).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:16:59 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile

Well, there's never an open path, unless it breaks.

For instance, let's say the bridge closes, and the floodgate opens. Water starts flowing out, causing the floodgate to toggle off. The bridge starts to open to let more water in and the floodgate closes, but uh-oh, a bit of back-slosh from the emprying tile over the pressure plate fills it back up to 7/7 on the same frame the floodgate closes - the bridge misses the close toggle because it's in the process of opening, but the floodgate doesn't, and you've got a flooded fort. At the very least, I'd engineer htis with a "reset" option: a second bridge linked to a lever to cut off the flow into the pressure plate's chamber, and a floodgate to drain the pressure plate's room, and then divert the outflow of the repeater directly into a drain which can't overflow and flood everything instead of trying to use the water for something else.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

7/7 water will never flow back to the pp unless you are putting a water source on the cistern side.  The FG will always crush the water unless something blocks it and therefore keep the cistern side at 3/4 water. 

If something blocks the FG then there could be problems.  Then it wouldn't just dry up the cistern.  It would flip the bridge back open and start pumping water to the cistern until whatever is blocking the FG moves or the pp gets back to 7/7.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've found that I like to put 7/7 non-reset pressure plates linked to emergency floodgates in the cisterns. If the cistern ever fills up, dump the whole thing and wait for someone to come fix it. That is, if you've made a place for it to go.. :)

I had never though of this repeater tho, it's nice. I just used it to make use of an accidental aquifer breach. Change a problem into a waterfall & non-pressurized moat
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Pressure plates are a dangerous way to regulate their own water flow. I set up a similar contraption a while ago - my fort sewer design consisted of a massive vertical cistern which was filled form the top by a river, and which was as deep as my fortress. (15 levels or so.) Each level tapped the cistern with a small pool on each floor, inside of which was a pressure plate which would open the pool to be flooded when the water was below 4, and close when above it.

Unfortunately, because water "sloshes" as it fills, this can cause the pressure plate to toggle faster than the bridge operates. The result was a stuck bridge, and the bottom 4 levels of my fortress got flooded with water. 6 dwarves survived the initial flooding thanks to being in watertight rooms, but 4 died of thirst/starvation before my miners managed to dig an alternate route down to get them out.

Since then, I've stuck to more conventional systems, such as relying on a constant flow of water and draining it off the map, etc.
Used a bridge to block the water, you say?  I think see the problem.

I'm guessing you set the plate to be triggered at 4-7 depths of water, so that when it dropped below 4/7 depth the plate would reset and the bridge would go down?  What may have worked better was to build a door to block flow and set the plate linked to the door to be triggered by 0-3 depths.  Doors respond to triggers much more quickly than bridges, so there's little to no chance of a stuck door; It will close as soon as 4/7 sloshes onto the plate, and open as soon as it goes below that, so things will soon regulate themselves when things get too low.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is great.
I was just about to give up on my fort because of problems making a repeater; attempting to smash water to remove it from the map due to a lack of chasm, and needing one in order for my mechanical water systems (noble flooding pipes) to function.

...you do realise you can carve fortifications into the last tile at the map edge and drain water off-map through them, right?  ;)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What may have worked better was to build a door to block flow and set the plate linked to the door to be triggered by 0-3 depths.  Doors respond to triggers much more quickly than bridges, so there's little to no chance of a stuck door; It will close as soon as 4/7 sloshes onto the plate, and open as soon as it goes below that, so things will soon regulate themselves when things get too low.

But then you'd have to replace the floodgate with a bridge, as doors and floodgates operate the same way.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 [2] 3