Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pit fortress  (Read 3373 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit fortress
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »

That's a cool idea; put a big tower in the middle to shoot down at invaders.

However, I had envisioned multiple workshop entrances etc on every level, so if I ended up doing that I'd need more like 20 towers. Perhaps, link them all together via walkways, so that marksdwarves can move around above without risking themselves to return fire.

Also, here's an idea to combine the pit fortress and the reverse-pyramid fortress: start off with the RP fort, with the ground slanting downward slightly. Then, in the middle, have a pit. I can't help but think about how damn cool this would be; there would be all sorts of aesthetic and functionality choices about placement of stuff. Perhaps all residences are in the pit, while workshops are up above?

Or maybe all the military dwarves are up top to protect the civilians in the pit.

AUGH I GOTTA TRY THIS SOON
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:50:19 pm by Slappy Moose »
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 05:03:11 pm »

Megaproject idea:  Pyramid, and inverted pyramid city.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »

Megaproject idea:  Pyramid, and inverted pyramid city.

Megaproject: Pyramid in the middle of a desert, next to a river, with a sphynx. Dwarves live huge 15 zlevel city under the pyramid. Hippos and carp infest the moats around the pyramid. 15zlevel Anti-Elf pit next to pyramid, with labyrinth connecting the bottom of the pit to the bottom of the dwarf living quarters.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 07:47:50 pm »

Megaproject: A pyramid that narrows to 3x3, which then connects to an upside-down pyramid.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »

Brilliant addition. I must try it.

Count 4 dead elves in my pitfall.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:46:38 pm by Atlas »
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:14 pm »

Just a note.

My brother told me that if a dwarf for some reason falls over (cavein, swallowman attack, whatever) in a flight of stairs he falls down the stairs to the bottom. I don't know if this applies to if he just falls asleep in it but if you make one huge staircase that might be something to look out for... and a reason to make a huge friggin staircase. In fact I have a pretty large staircase I'll tell a recruit to go stand at the top. brb.

EDIT: nope. falling asleep didn't cause him to fall. so I caused a small cave-in next to the staircase. of course I forgot the fact that this isn't a pit it is a constructed tower and the piece of roof on the top level (6) caused a chain reaction that collapsed floors BUSY with dwarves all the way down to level -2.
Apart from the recruit participating in the experiment 2 children, 2 soldiers and 5 animals fell into the hole. Broken arms, hands and legs aside all the dwarves will survive... except the guy who fell from the top floor.
These are his mangled bodyparts: upper body, the entire left arm, the entire right arm, both upper legs, left foot, left lung, left shoulder, upper spine. Everything else is bruised or broken. It'll be interesting to see how long he survives. oh and he's a bit unhappy too.
Could be worse I guess. Now all those who got hurt fell down the hole, there are 7 stunned dwarves and animals at the bottom of the staircase but not a single one anywhere in the middle of it.
Conclusion: Tall staircases are dangerous but large holes are much more dangerous!

... now I have some repairing to do.

EDIT:

apparently I have some burials to attend to as well. Children can't take much of a beating ...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:08:34 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »

its only up/down stairs that do that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 03:57:25 am »

Did a fort like this once, was quite fun...

Just dug down 10 or so z-levels (using ramps), made the floor of that pit my main hub, with statue garden, roads in a cross.

Up to the entrance I had a massive ramp, and on each side I had a sentral staircase, houses in the walls, looking out into the pit trough glass windows.
had Water and magmafalls down into the center, a nice little pool, and a magma pool.

Was a great fort, but FPS ate it...

(Also, my pet Dragon went Berserk and killed the Queen. He also roastet the dining room and made a fine mess.... in the end, he also made a nice skull.....)

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:44 am »

Megaproject/Semi megaproject:

An entire city around a bottomless pit. Suspended, heavily supported towers jutting out into the middle. Ramps and dangerous causeways interconnecting everything, with only one way to the surface via Grand Tower jutting out from the top with series of drawbridges.

Bonus points if sections are close enough to the edge for marksdwarves to shoot from. :D

Super extra special bonus points if you make it entirely out of Bauxite and then fill the excess space with magma.

THE RED CITADEL OF THE DAMNED DWARVES.
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 11:15:18 am »

Interesting. worth a try XD

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »

When my weekend gets here, I plan to spend a time experimenting with dropping a fortress down a lava pipe.  Any "natural rock" wall should survive, so basically it would be something like a giant obsidian test-tube, suspended over the hole by a single support, and set to a size such that it will wedge to a stop at a narrow point.  Then I can go back in and build floors and interior walls inside. :)

What would happen to the dwarves inside it if you did this? would they be killed? maybe just knocked unconscious. It'd be pretty cool if you built your entire fort in a capsule like that, put all your dwarves in it, and dropped it. The Dwarven Core Exploration Team.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:54 pm »

If a room is above an area, with a grate in the floor, are archers able to shoot down through the grate at enemies in the area below?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 06:39:33 pm »

If a room is above an area, with a grate in the floor, are archers able to shoot down through the grate at enemies in the area below?

I don't think so .. I made a trapped tunnel that went under one of my walls into the city, the inside of the tunnels roof consisted entirely of grates.. but no marksdwarves took the shot.

Maybe I just missed it or it was a bug. All I know is I didn't see them shoot... and I'm all out of goblins to experiment on too!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:28 pm »

reminds me of this:

The dwarf castle from Heroes V
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:28 pm »

I HAVE A NEW GOAL!

Lava Castles!

Also, can anyone help me with modifying raws so that bauxite is abundant?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4