Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pit fortress  (Read 3379 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 02:51:38 am »

there was one fort i saw that was built like that and it was very nice. there was a round pit in the center and the creator would change the stairwell design all the time. shame i didn't favorited it when i saw it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 05:31:57 am »

I'm doing this with the dwarf heaven site. It's a 47 diameter round fortress inside the bottomless pit. It'll be 25 stories tall with a water and magma shaft running the height of the fortress. The center shaft will have both water and magma pump stacks (where the two temporary bridges are) as well as stairs.

Here's the future water/magma storage at z+5 above the top of the magma pipe:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm currently building a cylindrical fortress in the magma pipe on that same map. I intend for it to be made entirely out of green glass, with magma flowing on the outside and water running down a tube in the center, and for it to reach from the bottom to the top of the map.

First I'll need to drain the magma pipe, and make it perfectly circular.

It's rather likely I'll never get it done though, seeing as this is my first major project.
The fish are watching.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:10 am »

I'm doing this with the dwarf heaven site. It's a 47 diameter round fortress inside the bottomless pit. It'll be 25 stories tall with a water and magma shaft running the height of the fortress. The center shaft will have both water and magma pump stacks (where the two temporary bridges are) as well as stairs.

It's impossible to drain the bottom level. The magma flow tiles create 7/7 magma on themselves instantly, always.

I'm currently building a cylindrical fortress in the magma pipe on that same map. I intend for it to be made entirely out of green glass, with magma flowing on the outside and water running down a tube in the center, and for it to reach from the bottom to the top of the map.

It's rather likely I'll never get it done though, seeing as this is my first major project.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 08:39:57 am »

When my weekend gets here, I plan to spend a time experimenting with dropping a fortress down a lava pipe.  Any "natural rock" wall should survive, so basically it would be something like a giant obsidian test-tube, suspended over the hole by a single support, and set to a size such that it will wedge to a stop at a narrow point.  Then I can go back in and build floors and interior walls inside. :)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 09:07:15 am »

I once attempted to set a fort up over a valley that had been eroded by a river. Anyway i dug into the aquifer and created a nice waterfall that happened to sweep everyone of my dwarves to their dooms.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:38 am »

Do it with a bottomless pit for extra fun. :)

That is what I'm trying to do. I have a classic fort dug in a mountain, but there's a nifty bottomless pit in the corner of the map which I'm planning to build more stuff around. I'm thinking of building a jail in it, suspended in mid air above the depths and accessible only by a drawbridge. And possibly a tower buttressed by supports running from the pit walls and rising way above the pit, effectively making the pit a bottomless moat around the tower.
But that's long-term. First I need to get rid of the monsters infesting the pit and hollow it out a bit to make it perfectly circular.
On that note, can I channel out the lowest level to extend the bottomless area?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:56 am »

It's impossible to drain the bottom level. The magma flow tiles create 7/7 magma on themselves instantly, always.

I should have phrased it better  :) I'm aware of that. The lowest floors will be 1 z-level above the flow tiles.
The fish are watching.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:37 am »

Do it with a bottomless pit for extra fun. :)

I'm doing this in my current fort. It has a huge spiraling rampway made of obsidian blocks from the bottom of the bottomless pit to the top, with bridges leading to the various areas. Trickiest part was there was no easy obsidian source on my map so I had to make it all myself with a mold.

It'll probably never be finished though due to my waning interest in the game. Until the next version at least.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 10:57:01 am »

Glacier fort got wasted by an orc siege. This is so my next project.  ;D

I'm thinking "Wheels" has to be in the name somewhere....
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 11:16:51 am »

That's very similar to my plans. All green glass, and when built I'll drain the magma pipe and expand it to surround the fortress. And yes, it's taking quite a while. I have 3 levels built (out of 25) and one half-built, and all but 2 levels of the pit are excavated. The half-built level is the GSC silk harvesting and it was a lot of trial and error to get that working right and took entirely too long. I've extended the underground river and dammed it up, am now getting the water controls hooked up, and next will build the level of the fortress that the river enters and the one above which will be the powerplant, so that'll take entirely too long as well. Then I'll build the central stack all the way up and get the water pump ladder build and powered and I still need to figure out how to breach the magma pipe. The topography doesn't make for an easy tap (I need to tap the bottomish level in order to drain it) so I'll have to sacrifice a miner to do it. I'll probably wait for one of my kids to grow up since I'm playing immigrantless.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 11:39:28 am »

How fast will a door burn?  With a set-up like"

####
*D..
####

where D is a door.. would a very agile miner survive long enough to dig out the * and duck out the door, possibly gaining enough ground to survive?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:13 am »

there's a nifty bottomless pit in the corner of the map which I'm planning to build more stuff around. I'm thinking of building a jail in it, suspended in mid air above the depths and accessible only by a drawbridge.

stick a goblin leader in the cage at the bottom and re-enact the escape of that crazy cat from kung-fu panda.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 12:01:17 pm »

there's a nifty bottomless pit in the corner of the map which I'm planning to build more stuff around. I'm thinking of building a jail in it, suspended in mid air above the depths and accessible only by a drawbridge.

stick a goblin leader in the cage at the bottom and re-enact the escape of that crazy cat from kung-fu panda.
But you would have to set the dwarf cap to 1000+....
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:11 pm »

How fast will a door burn?  With a set-up like"

####
*D..
####

where D is a door.. would a very agile miner survive long enough to dig out the * and duck out the door, possibly gaining enough ground to survive?

Good question. I've never tried that. The door won't melt if it closes before the magma hits it, but if you hook it to a lever and open it remotely, then it'll melt. Put a row of doors there and one should stay closed behind the miner, assuming he survives the initial blast.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 03:41:02 pm »

I was actually thinking about doing this, only rather than a vertical pit, I was going to make an inverted pyramid with ramps leading between levels
I did that once, when goblins attacked, they shot from the edges all the way down to dwarves at the bottom...
oh, my intent was to have it still be closed off from the outside world (maybe extend the 'base' (top level) of the pyramid 1 level above ground onto walls with fortifications, and have a normal entranceway somewhere

like dis

The fort I made last week was a bit like that, except I carved a tower out of the center as I ramped down. I overdid it a bit, the rim of the pit was 40+ tiles away from where I had cut fortifications so my marksdwarves could shoot invaders as they streamed toward the tower entrance from all sides. This worked fine when it was ramped all the way around, but when I removed the ramps from the top so that the invaders had to walk all around the perimeter, they were too far away to get shot. :) Just as well actually, even a champion marksdwarf shooting far away from the east at an enemy that's traveling north or south will just waste bolts (unless there's a whole line of goblins behind them and they're shooting at the first one).

Removing all that ground to make the pit with ramps was terribly laggy constantly, if I did it all over again I'd clear out the bulk of the area with just regular digging, then separate it from the surrounding supporting land with a ramped perimeter or channels from above (and a support linked to a lever somewhere for safety so my miners don't get squashed).

Also I feel a little silly because I realize the map I just started on already has a natural canyon and a few tall hills that could've been sculpted into natural towers, so I could've built a trade depot in the tower sculpted from the canyon and living towers in the mountains, in half the time it took me to sculpt just one out of a mountain. In fact I could still do that, except that the large-sized map with a bunch of chasm, a cave, a cave river and magma is already lagging me to hell and back.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:46:49 pm by Stromko »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4