Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pit fortress  (Read 3370 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pit fortress
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:58 pm »

I'm curious if anyone has ever done this before; instead of a usual fortress dug into the side of a mountain, or a simple entrance going down into the ant-tunnel fort, what about a cylindrical pit fortress?

I'm going to build this type next, and here is how I envision it: A very large circle or square shape is channeled into the ground, deep down to make a huge pit. At the top/precipice of the pit are walls, fortifications, etc and maybe you can leave some floating islands for farms (or just have the farms outside).

There could be two methods of vertical transport; stairways all around the inside of the pit, or a single pillar up the center of the pit, with bridges/walkways going out to the rooms dug into the side of the pit.

Hell, you could even have multiple pits; a residence pit, workshop pit, etc.

Has anyone ever done this before? Also, any suggestions for me when I go ahead and try this?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Pit fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:46:47 pm »

Do it with a bottomless pit for extra fun. :)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:48:45 pm »

Do it with a bottomless pit for extra fun. :)

I've theorized about forts around that design. It's a good idea, I highly recommend it.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »

So if a dwarf trips on the stairs they die forever? Hahah, how dwarfy! I like that idea, I wouldn't have to channel out a shitload of stuff either. Thanks!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:54:17 pm »

So if a dwarf trips on the stairs they die forever? Hahah, how dwarfy! I like that idea, I wouldn't have to channel out a shitload of stuff either. Thanks!
As a note for any future multi level rooms, use ramps instead of channeling. :D

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »

well, i havent started a game in about a month, but now I have too.  uhh, thanks for the idea   ::)
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »

I'm totally building my next fort along a chasm or pit. Glacier fort's probably going to tantrum itself to death after the next orc siege, anyway.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »

I did this once. I sunk a 10x10 square shaft down the middle of a heavy forest. There would be two entrances: one at the top for dwarves to go about their business with, and one at the bottom at the end of a narrow maze of narrow walkways, retracting bridges, and a water pit. I don't remember why I abandoned that fort. Probably because it was messy, as I was still pretty new to Dwarf Fortress.

Though a bottomless pit would be cooler.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:42 pm »

I was actually thinking about doing this, only rather than a vertical pit, I was going to make an inverted pyramid with ramps leading between levels

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:57:53 pm »

I'm doing this with the dwarf heaven site. It's a 47 diameter round fortress inside the bottomless pit. It'll be 25 stories tall with a water and magma shaft running the height of the fortress. The center shaft will have both water and magma pump stacks (where the two temporary bridges are) as well as stairs.

Here's the future water/magma storage at z+5 above the top of the magma pipe:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:12:14 pm »

The best part is you can attach your fortress to a single support. BOOM, instant reset.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 10:18:23 pm »

A site like that could make a good succession game, actually.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:37 pm »

I was actually thinking about doing this, only rather than a vertical pit, I was going to make an inverted pyramid with ramps leading between levels
I did that once, when goblins attacked, they shot from the edges all the way down to dwarves at the bottom...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:47:41 pm »

I did that once, when goblins attacked, they shot from the edges all the way down to dwarves at the bottom...
oh, my intent was to have it still be closed off from the outside world (maybe extend the 'base' (top level) of the pyramid 1 level above ground onto walls with fortifications, and have a normal entranceway somewhere

like dis

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »

like dis

I'll have to try that too, it could be pretty awesome looking and fun to make. Perhaps make it possible to seal off all entrances, and flood the entire base like a lake? Would be a cool defense mechanism.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:41:13 am by Slappy Moose »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4