Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Into the mines?  (Read 1200 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Into the mines?
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:38:04 am »

Hi all, I dont biuld big forts often, so I like to do different things.

This time my plan was to not make a traditional dwarf fort, as in a giant workshop strewn hub with podded living rooms, and the same old defences. No my friends, the idea this time is to make a more (for lack of a better word) "realistic fort", a tolkein/DnD inspired design of a true mountain hall. So Im asking for suggestions on what to include, currently Im thinking:

Large carved entrance, or spiral stairway,
Central enourmous hall, with tables and the thanes throne
Large opened up areas of z levels and overlaying bridges
Magma pit
Defences in multiple locking rooms, so we may "fall back"

Or to go completely over the top
One tile bridge over a chasm leading to demon pit?

Any and all feedback welcome

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Into the mines?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 05:44:29 am »

One tile bridge over a chasm leading to demon pit?

This... held up a single support rigged to a lever.  Pull the lever after breaching HFS, with a staff (spear?) wielding dwarf holding it off.  Right before you pull the lever you have to scream "YOU. SHALL NOT. PASS!" at your monitor.

In all seriousness, an entrance a ways into a mountain road would be good, as would a massive main hall that spans multiple z-levels and has 2x2 pillars evenly spaced throughout it.  Defense wise you should depend on axe-dwarves and strong walls, and probably not use traps, unless you need some to get started.  The orc mod would go well with this theme too.

Sorry if that's a little too much, I've been wanting to do a fortress like this for a while, but for the time being it's out of my skill range.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 05:47:58 am »

Yeah I was going to go for pillars, and if i didnt scream YOOOOOU SHALL NOT PAAAAAASS then id fail as a dwarf, also i own the LOTR soundtrack which is gonna be blasted out in the background :P.

Getting an actual worldgen road to lead into the mountains would be slightly harder but is probably worth it, I could even make it run straight through my fort, under the mountain, so my fort was like a dwarven guardhouse

Any other suggestions?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:27:41 am »

Magma is a must, So is chasm and underground road, river would be awesome. HFS only if it happens to be there, you should also impact the outside as little as possible other than making the walls and a few sheer cliffs.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:05:03 am »

Thank you seal lord! Theres definately some good ideas here,  I dont want to make a carbon copy of moria, I want to biuld my own bastion of dwarvenly might.

Giant underground waterworks seem to be necessary, large open spaces (multi z level) seem to also feature prominently with large stacks of workshops instead of single z level "factories". Im starting to hash out a rough plan now, for defence its looking like melee axedwarves only, ill see what I can do about huge raised stairways

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:22 pm »

Thank you seal lord! Theres definately some good ideas here,  I dont want to make a carbon copy of moria, I want to biuld my own bastion of dwarvenly might.

Giant underground waterworks seem to be necessary, large open spaces (multi z level) seem to also feature prominently with large stacks of workshops instead of single z level "factories". Im starting to hash out a rough plan now, for defence its looking like melee axedwarves only, ill see what I can do about huge raised stairways

Catapults and collapsable mine-sections also seems dwarfy. Maybe being able to collapse part of a mountain side so that a river can pour out?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:11:54 pm »

Oh! I got a good defense mechanism!

Have a bunch of pumps constantly draining river water into a massive "cauldron" or something, and then dam one side with a bunch of floodgates. Have this damn right next to the massive entrance archway or whatever you have. Whenever trouble comes up, flood your entrance, drowning anything nearby.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 02:26:12 pm »

Have a bunch of pumps constantly draining river water into a massive "cauldron" or something, and then dam one side with a bunch of floodgates. Have this damn right next to the massive entrance archway or whatever you have. Whenever trouble comes up, flood your entrance, drowning anything nearby.
We'll have no pointy-ears telling us how to build traps :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 03:54:16 pm »

We'll have no pointy-ears telling us how to build traps :P

Since when am I a pointy ear?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.