Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic Starting Spot  (Read 3902 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Epic Starting Spot
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:13:49 am »

Okay, normally I wouldn't bother posting a map-gen unless it was specifically requested of me, but this is just insane.  I recently decided to try running a second fortress, and figured I'd try a starting spot with magma.  Problem is, I'm a bit picky; I didn't just want a spot with magma, I wanted a spot with a magma pipe , a river, trees, flux stone, high elevation, and no aquifer.  After quite a few map gens, I found that and then some. 

What it has:
A brook,
a magma pipe
a chasm,
an underground river,
trees,
other plant life,
two soil layers,
access to dwarves,
access to humans,
access to goblins (at war, I think),
NO access to the tree-huggers,
flux stone,
and plenty of elevation variences.

What it does not have:

HFS,
access to the tree-huggers, (sorry, just felt the need to express this twice)
pretty much any other feature not mentioned.

Now, I haven't actually started yet, so I don't have any idea where all this stuff is, beyond where suggested by the map, and the civilization access is just according to the neighbors screen, pre-embark.  I'm not 100% sure if that means you don't have to put up with the elves for sure, but at least if they do show up you have magma and a chasm, I'm sure you could come up with something.  Even with all this I might not have posted the site, but the choices for your starting dwarven civilization pushed it over the edge:

Any map that allows me to be a part of the dwarven civilization "The Hammer of Splattering" is worth sharing in my book.

Anyways, I'm willing to bet at least one person who took the time to read that would like to get the world gen already, so here it is...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enjoy, and PLEASE let me know what you think!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Starting Spot
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:28:43 am »

This site is incredible, extend the embark to 6x6 and you get HFS as well! If this map was terrifying rather tham calm it would be absolutely perfect in everyway.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:01:16 am »

That mountain sqaure in between the chasm and river is perfect, just do an epic magma tunnel bridging the chasm and you have everything.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:42 am »

bauxite?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »

bauxite?

Pretty likely if there's enough chalk. Every time I've had chalk I've found bauxite. Add orcs to make up for the calmness.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:57:35 pm »

nice spot.

when i embarked it had to be right next to the chasm so the giant cave spider went out to try to kill me, but my 10 war dogs killed it.
is there more than one or is my idea of starting giant cave spider silk farm over?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:34 pm »

bauxite?

Pretty likely if there's enough chalk. Every time I've had chalk I've found bauxite. Add orcs to make up for the calmness.

I just tried gening the world again, with the orc mod this time, and it worked pretty well.  Only difference is that you don't have access to humans either, just dwarves, gobblins and orcs.  The wildlife may not be very dangerous, but with both orcs and gobblins, and only one trade caravan, it's looking up to be a pretty tough map.  That having been said, the new races changes the history gen, so you can't be a part of "The Hammer of Splattering", and are instead stuck with "The Trumpet of Ransacking".

nice spot.

when i embarked it had to be right next to the chasm so the giant cave spider went out to try to kill me, but my 10 war dogs killed it.
is there more than one or is my idea of starting giant cave spider silk farm over?
Thank you.

I'm not 100% sure if it comes back, but I've had creatures show up after I thought I'd killed them all off before, so it's definately a possibility.  If creatures come from nearby world tiles then I would assume you'll be seeing more of it, cause that chasm continues on quite a ways south of the embark area.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:41 am »

no sieges yet and im on second year in autumn, hmmm i have orcs but no gobbos so maybe i need to anger the humans.
havent seen another GCS but i wonder, can these spiders climb up z-levels because i found web on some ranges inside the chasm, ill post the map when i get a little further because nothing interesting has happened yet.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:54 pm »

1st try, everyone was immediatly hit by a GCS.

Reclaimed, tantrum spiral due to GCS deaths.

Reclaimed, still alive for now, I do have 70 dorfs with _no_ place whatsoever.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »

Nice looking site, if you change the [HISTORY_SEED:337286772] to something else then you can get elves too, it won't change the landscape just the civs :).

Oh and I thought bauxite tended to show up in chert, maybe chalk too, nice to know.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:14:55 am »

Nice looking site, if you change the [HISTORY_SEED:337286772] to something else then you can get elves too, it won't change the landscape just the civs :).

Oh and I thought bauxite tended to show up in chert, maybe chalk too, nice to know.

Good to know, thanks!

The wiki says it'll show up in any of the following layers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, it's both and then some.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:27:02 pm »

I've got two quick questions:

How do I use this map?

How do I use it with the orc mod I downloaded

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 01:24:31 am »

I've got two quick questions:

How do I use this map?

How do I use it with the orc mod I downloaded

Copy the text in the spoiler in the first post to the bottom of your world_gen.txt (it's in the init folder) and then it should show up as an option in the "Design New World With Parameters" mode as "Small Custom".  Pick it, generate the world, and voila.  The specific location can be found using the images in the original post.

[EDIT]: So long as the orc mod is set up right, it should work fine.  Just keep in mind that you won't have contact with the humans, just dwarves goblins and orcs.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »

bauxite?

I just tried gening the world again, with the orc mod this time, and it worked pretty well.  Only difference is that you don't have access to humans either, just dwarves, gobblins and orcs.  The wildlife may not be very dangerous, but with both orcs and gobblins, and only one trade caravan, it's looking up to be a pretty tough map.  That having been said, the new races changes the history gen, so you can't be a part of "The Hammer of Splattering", and are instead stuck with "The Trumpet of Ransacking".

nice spot.

Thank you.

I'm not 100% sure if it comes back, but I've had creatures show up after I thought I'd killed them all off before, so it's definately a possibility.  If creatures come from nearby world tiles then I would assume you'll be seeing more of it, cause that chasm continues on quite a ways south of the embark area.
In one of the map archive forts I was looking at there was a point of interest that mentioned a GCS crawling out of the actual abyss tiles at the bottom of the map but that he didn't have cage traps up so he was waiting for another one.

In another the guy was pretty sure one migrated onto his map like animals herds do.

Either way you probably won't get another one for quite awhile.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:00 pm »

Great, another starting spot, I already have 9 regions, and I can't decide what fortress to develop...
Pages: [1] 2