Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Nobles (make them more than a target for murder)  (Read 3456 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles (make them more than a target for murder)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 02:51:14 am »

I don't mind nobles... okay, I do mind them, but that's because they just come along and settle. From the moment they arrive they demand freaking luxury rooms, offices, bedrooms with weapon racks, armor stands, chests, and all that. Okay, that's not too hard to make. I can probably make room..... somewhere. Then, even though they haven't been here for longer than 1 hour they start demanding and mandating crap. They don't even work, they don't do jack and they start demanding things? The nerves.

To make things worse, the mayor is already demanding stuff (but at least he works) and now I have four more demanding little bastards?

This is the reason why I have so many coffins filled with [baroness], [baron], [tax collector] and [hammerer]. The philosopher can stay, because she doesn't require, demand or mandate anything.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:20 am »

LOL just lock the hammer man in his room with a food and drink supply and use dwarf manager to tell the nobles to haul.  fixes many annoyances with them.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 02:34:34 pm »

I just use a ballista to tell the nobles to f*** off. Works fine for me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »

LOL just lock the hammer man in his room with a food and drink supply and use dwarf manager to tell the nobles to haul.  fixes many annoyances with them.

I might add that merely keeping him in a room with a food supply might not be enough as you must refill his din-dins.. and he might make a break for it. Speeding out of the room to punish a criminal from yesteryear you forgot about.

So keeping a small room next to his is a solution. The room contains 2 doors and food. 1 door for the hammerer to enter through, another to be locked. Then when the hammerer is napping lock/unlock the doors and refill the food.

No alcohol. The hammerer does not deserve alcohol!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »

I might add that merely keeping him in a room with a food supply might not be enough as you must refill his din-dins.. and he might make a break for it. Speeding out of the room to punish a criminal from yesteryear you forgot about.

So keeping a small room next to his is a solution. The room contains 2 doors and food. 1 door for the hammerer to enter through, another to be locked. Then when the hammerer is napping lock/unlock the doors and refill the food.

No alcohol. The hammerer does not deserve alcohol!

Or you could just put a hole in the Hammerer's ceiling and dump food on him. As long as you remember to unforbid it...

Also, am I a horrible person for originally reading the title as "Nobles (make them more OF a target for murder)"?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 03:04:30 pm »

Or you could just put a hole in the Hammerer's ceiling and dump food on him. As long as you remember to unforbid it...

Also, am I a horrible person for originally reading the title as "Nobles (make them more OF a target for murder)"?

Yes you are.

And as long as the dorfs don't throw the stuff in some other garbage dump this'd work.
I have an art blog now.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »

I once had a count who loved anvils to death. What am I gonna do with six anvils? Put quite a dent in my iron supply. Thank god for Goblin Christmas.

But that's nothing compared to my current baron consort, who loves adamantine. There's none on the map! I set three caged goblins on him, and he killed two of them before I gave up on that plan. I fear for my dwarves. The last dwarf who broke the law got 50 hammerblows and 99 days in jail. What are you going to do, lock up the splattered remains?

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 01:29:12 pm »

Seriously though, one hammerstrike against a peasant is usually enough to cripple him for a few years, if not for a lifetime.

50 hammerstrikes? That's.. worse than beating the proverbial dead horse. That's splattering every limb, every finger, every nail and then crushing every essence just to make sure there's none left. Reminds me of crushing coffee beans with a hammer when you don't have a grinder. That's what 50 hammerstrikes do.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 05:08:29 pm »

Seriously though, one hammerstrike against a peasant is usually enough to cripple him for a few years, if not for a lifetime.

50 hammerstrikes? That's.. worse than beating the proverbial dead horse. That's splattering every limb, every finger, every nail and then crushing every essence just to make sure there's none left. Reminds me of crushing coffee beans with a hammer when you don't have a grinder. That's what 50 hammerstrikes do.

Dwarven law is pretty confusing like that. I had a guy who threw a tantrum in which he thrust his spear into a cow. An officer was going to give him a "beating" for disorderly and then the guy thrust his spear into a bull and the bull died. For this he'd serve 201 days in jail for murder.

What happens? The guard approaches him and KILLS HIM WITH ONE BLOW because of the disorderly conduct.  That doesn't seem... balanced.
(yes i know it's going to be corrected)
I have an art blog now.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 05:16:26 pm »

Dwarven law is pretty confusing like that. I had a guy who threw a tantrum in which he thrust his spear into a cow. An officer was going to give him a "beating" for disorderly and then the guy thrust his spear into a bull and the bull died. For this he'd serve 201 days in jail for murder.

What happens? The guard approaches him and KILLS HIM WITH ONE BLOW because of the disorderly conduct.  That doesn't seem... balanced.
(yes i know it's going to be corrected)

I just had had a violation of production order.. I forgot to make the mayor's stupid fetish for lead items. The target? My weaponsmith. The only, precious freaking legendary weaponsmith I have.. but I'm very relieved to see "51 days in prison" and not a beating. The first time someone got a beating, it was a champion. For some reason. The guards were still wimps. I think he did not even receive a minor wound.

The second beaten given out was a few years ago, and by then, every soldier is a champion with uber stats in a matter of months. He was to receive a beating. *smack*. Planter has bled to death. I'm glad it wasn't someone important, but geeez..
Pages: 1 2 [3]