Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nobles (make them more than a target for murder)  (Read 3455 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles (make them more than a target for murder)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 08:06:32 pm »

No sand on your map? Start a grass fire. Easy way to make sure.

Btw, I really like this idea.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:14 pm »

Oh, and for some reason, they banned the export/import of steal, and demanded for a steel object, and I hadn't been able to find any of the required materials.

And an auto job cancel if a Baron just happened to have banned the export of steel items while you were in the middle of selling/filling up the Depot with steel goods.

And here is a bug for some reason, I was able to make buildings out of water, and a noble requested for water doors ( the bugged water was classified as a type of stone ) .
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:26:57 pm by Foa »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »

I like nobles. They've always been pretty nice to me ... they meet with diplomats while the mayor is off having babies and engraving walls. They harvest my fields, they train my war dogs.. they don't demand much. One wanted a bed in her office but her office, bedroom and dining room were the same room ... so she basically just came over to say "Hey thanks for the bed." and that was that.

Hell my dungeon master even saved the life of one of my soldiers. A small squad was protecting a trapped entrance, they didn't get backup because the traps were plenty. Problem was only the squadleader arrived, the others decided to take naps. So the squadleader is in a cramped space fighting WAY too many goblins and what happens?
The dungeon master comes in to replace a cage trap that caught a goblin earlier and instead of freaking out and retreating he walks right into the horde and starts tinkering with the trap. Now that's balls.

Needless to say the goblins cut off his massive balls and served them to him. It distracted them from the soldier for long enough, he was able to fight them 1on1 while the others were decorating the walls with what used to be my dungeon master. and all of a sudden they were retreating.

I -really- like nobles!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 09:14:50 pm »

I like nobles. They've always been pretty nice to me ... they meet with diplomats while the mayor is off having babies and engraving walls. They harvest my fields, they train my war dogs.. they don't demand much. One wanted a bed in her office but her office, bedroom and dining room were the same room ... so she basically just came over to say "Hey thanks for the bed." and that was that.

Hell my dungeon master even saved the life of one of my soldiers. A small squad was protecting a trapped entrance, they didn't get backup because the traps were plenty. Problem was only the squadleader arrived, the others decided to take naps. So the squadleader is in a cramped space fighting WAY too many goblins and what happens?
The dungeon master comes in to replace a cage trap that caught a goblin earlier and instead of freaking out and retreating he walks right into the horde and starts tinkering with the trap. Now that's balls.

Needless to say the goblins cut off his massive balls and served them to him. It distracted them from the soldier for long enough, he was able to fight them 1on1 while the others were decorating the walls with what used to be my dungeon master. and all of a sudden they were retreating.

I -really- like nobles!

may i point you here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33553.0

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

Oh come now it's not that rare is it? I've never had any problems with nobles in any of my forts. They've always been reasonable and I've gone to great lengths to obey their wishes... I just wish they'd ignore the population cap and come anyway.
I have an art blog now.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:52 pm »

i have never seen a reasonable noble except for my first mayor, he was a good dwarf armok rest his soul
maybe your worldgen went better than i could hope for that culled all the bad nobles in civil war but mine were mostly greedy bearded bastards.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »

Alpha game.  Released 2002.  Search function.  Developments page. = little reason for this thread.

I clearly remember looking in the dev notes and seeing plans for improved nobles. I now go to double check.

Edit:  okay, it was probably a thread, not the dev notes.  Searching the suggestions forum yielded several threads on the subject of making nobles better, just on the first page.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:41:47 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:23 pm »

i have never seen a reasonable noble except for my first mayor, he was a good dwarf armok rest his soul
maybe your worldgen went better than i could hope for that culled all the bad nobles in civil war but mine were mostly greedy bearded bastards.

well.. the mayor is a little annoying.
"make me warhammers!" and i make warhammers. "make me iron warhammers!" and i make iron warhammers. "make me something else made out of iron!" and i go do you ever shut up? and i make iron coins. "I FORBID YOU TO EXPORT THIS!" well what am i supposed to do with it then?? my military don't use hammers they use maces! they don't use iron they use steel!
so i mostly ignore her now
I have an art blog now.

cliff987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »

Alpha game.  Released 2002.  Search function.  Developments page. = little reason for this thread.

I clearly remember looking in the dev notes and seeing plans for improved nobles. I now go to double check.

Edit:  okay, it was probably a thread, not the dev notes.  Searching the suggestions forum yielded several threads on the subject of making nobles better, just on the first page.

Ah, quit being such a blowhard. Link the threads for reference, and then contribute to the discussion. And yeah, it's an alpha. You discuss that sort of thing, and then they get better!

In the spirit of said contributions, I agree that the nobles should have more use, such as the manager and the bookkeeper. Perhaps the Captain of the Guard at various levels could enable more options for military control, and the Baron et all could open up various diplomacy screens and options.

Also a general consenus on the "things get harder as the nobles get more nobley" idea.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:53 pm »

Remember that the vast majority of 'unfulfillable' mandates CAN be fulfilled - just check the likes of your nobles and order enough from the caravans to keep your stocks full.

There are exceptions (glass comes to mind) but I'm pretty sure nobles don't ever mandate specific leather types or adamantine or things like that.

Nobles are just an extra challenge you have to overcome, like sieges and starvation and carp.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:16 pm »

Remember that the vast majority of 'unfulfillable' mandates CAN be fulfilled - just check the likes of your nobles and order enough from the caravans to keep your stocks full.

There are exceptions (glass comes to mind) but I'm pretty sure nobles don't ever mandate specific leather types or adamantine or things like that.

Nobles are just an extra challenge you have to overcome, like sieges and starvation and carp.

actually one of my barons liked, and mandated often, adamantine so if they like it they will mandate adamantine

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 04:17:42 pm »

I've consistently found that, even if they don't like it, your nobles will mandate all of your armok-damned adamantine. "Screw the militiary being re-armored for the Ender Goblin siege, I want 10 adamantine bracelets to be made or ELSE!"
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 06:06:19 pm »

Ah, quit being such a blowhard. Link the threads for reference, and then contribute to the discussion. And yeah, it's an alpha. You discuss that sort of thing, and then they get better!

Sorry.  It's just kind of irritating when a thread starts off "this has probably come up before," even though there is a search function to check on that.  While it can continue to be discussed, those old ideas can sometimes be better in various ways, and should at least be looked into.

That said, I like the dungeon master, but would like for there to be some more control over which metalworking jobs he does.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 06:39:44 pm »

heh, noble dorfs are assholes
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »

In addition to adamantine mandates, I've also seen mandates for giant cave spider chitin (a specific type of leather), so both of those are possible even if they normally mandate their metal preferences. Other annoying metals include bismuth, pig iron, and any of the decorative alloys (rose gold, pewters, brass, and so on), because of the annoyance of needing to order lots of ore/bars that are otherwise useless every year from the caravans, in case they decided to make a bunch of mandates in the next year. Or if a siege/ambush takes the caravan out.

I also really dislike the craft-subtype mandates (like Idols or Crowns), since even though you can make them out of stone it's difficult to make the three that they demand without ending up with a bunch of useless trinkets cluttering up the workshop afterward.

However, if the nobles were slightly more reasonable with their mandates, I'm not sure they need any other changes at the moment.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 [2] 3