Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchering enemies  (Read 1582 times)

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering enemies
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:41 pm »

I'm playing version 40d.  As I understand it, in this version there's no BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag any more, instead replaced by ethics tags.  I've set [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE] and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE] in the dwarf entries in entity_default.txt, and generated a new world and a new game.  Fought off a goblin ambush and ended up with several goblin corpses in my refuse stockpile, but there's still no butchering going on.  I turned off all other job for my butcher, but there's no "Butcher" task appearing at the butcher's workshop.  Turning the task on manually tells me there's no butcherable corpse.

When embarking, I can request stuff like troglodyte meat and gremlin meat, so I assume the changed tags do something, but I just can't butcher enemies I kill on the battlefield at my fortress.  Is it possible to do so?  What am I doing wrong?

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering enemies
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:36:52 am »

Actually, [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] still works in a way, I think.

It makes corpses nonbutcherable, making the only way for that by capturing live enemies thru cage traps then slaughtering the in Animals menu. Though maybe you need the creature to be tame for that.

There is another possibility, though I'm not sure, is that the [INTELLIGENT] token interferes.

Anyway, this option is largely untested, so anything written here may be wrong.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:38:33 pm »

The general confirmation was that ethics replaced [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:25 am »

The general confirmation was that ethics replaced [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]

OK, so how do you make sentients butcherable? What the OP did is almost exactly the same I would have done and it doesn't seem to work for him, so before creating a new world I could use some clarification, if you don't mind.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

this may be very mild necromancy but, does anyone know how this would be possible?
butchering other entities I mean.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:35 pm »

I've since given up on this myself. I can't even remember what exactly I found out, but I seem to recall that it was either impossible, or that you had to strip the enemies you wanted to butcher of some of their sentience-related tags.

Maybe someone will be able to tell you more.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »

From my experience if you add the pet tag and remove the intelligent and replace it with can_speak, civ, learn, it allows you to harvest their babies once you tame them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

so we can't kill them in battle then eat their corpses?
bummer
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:37:04 pm »

perhaps it will be fixed someday so that one can eat the corpses they kill. until then you could try the messed up solution of taming the enemy and then eating their offspring.

hmm, delicious. finally one can eat some delicious *goblin meat roasts*.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »

goblins have nothing on the elves.
few things are as delectable as the flesh of young elves.  ;D
GENERATION 26:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »

From my experience if you add the pet tag and remove the intelligent and replace it with can_speak, civ, learn, it allows you to harvest their babies once you tame them.

Oh Jesus, that's fucking disgusting. I love it!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:13 pm »

...... intelligent simply is can_speak, civ and learn all together. You haven't made any changes there apart from the pet tag.

... and entities other than yours are never tameable nor butcherable, no matter the tags. It's hardcoded. If that really is your experience i'd love to see a save.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 09:05:01 am »

...... intelligent simply is can_speak, civ and learn all together. You haven't made any changes there apart from the pet tag.

... and entities other than yours are never tameable nor butcherable, no matter the tags. It's hardcoded. If that really is your experience i'd love to see a save.

I would but it's on a save that involves and unfinished mod, so you'll just have to wait.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 02:26:08 pm »

Doesn't add anything to the 'feast on the flesh of your foes' discussion, but I've noticed that if you embark on a site that already has, say, goblins on it, then any of them that die (perhaps due to inexplicable building collapse, who can say?) can then happily be chopped up and cooked.

It's something, at least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:21 pm »

You cannot butcher or eat creatures that CAN_SPEAK.

You can butcher creatures with CAN_LEARN, but the instant you give them CAN_SPEAK they become uneatable; thus Troglodytes can be butchered, but Antmen cannot.
Pages: [1] 2