Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Burying my fallen foes... why?  (Read 2236 times)

Asatruer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burying my fallen foes... why?
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »

I just started playing in the last couple weeks and am on my second fortress where I have run into something I did not with my first. So for a while now I have been getting goblin ambushes led by a Dwarf and while the green corpses get tossed on the refuse piles just fine, the traitorous scum misguided dwarfs are taken and put in available coffins along with my hard working dwarfs and shiftless lay-about glorious leaders...  So, I am guessing other than marking the corpses for dumping I cannot prevent them from being hauled down to my crypt. Now for those already in my crypts I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of them like leave no coffin available, unbuild the offending coffin, marking bones for dumping into magma, and even then it seems without bones they take over the next coffin to be marked available.  Any suggestions for getting rid of them?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: Burying my fallen foes... why?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »

simply forbid the 6 bones and skull. works for me
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »

Just make more coffins and extend the crypt.
Or jam coffins in all over the place.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:19 pm »

yes as skopion says you can make crypt at the lower level and it looks better with filled graves then just empty ones, just dont bury any elves
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:47 pm »

If there's no corpse available for whatever reason, the dwarf gets a cenotaph (empty coffin). You can't stop dwarves from being assigned coffins from the available set; all dwarves are united in death.

What you could try doing is assigning coffins to living dwarves as you build them; coffins so assigned aren't available to random dead dwarves. If you don't make any coffins just generally "available", then enemy dwarves won't get buried. However, there's a metaphysical queue that they'll sit in...if you ever want to bury a dwarf who didn't get a coffin assigned during life, you'll have to make cenotaphs for all the dwarves in the queue first, regardless of allegiance.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:21 pm »

As for why... where do you think those dwarves came from? Have you ever had a child snatched by goblins?  Would you have said that child's future corpse should one day be thrown on a rubbish heap?

I actually thought that was a neat detail when I first discovered it. Giving those dwarves a respectful burial seems like a small penance for our failure to protect them as children.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »

I Forbid enemy dwarf corpses.

They Deserve No Mercy.
They Deserve No Respect.
They Deserve Only Hate.
They Deserve Death and Rot.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »

As for why... where do you think those dwarves came from? Have you ever had a child snatched by goblins?  Would you have said that child's future corpse should one day be thrown on a rubbish heap?

I actually thought that was a neat detail when I first discovered it. Giving those dwarves a respectful burial seems like a small penance for our failure to protect them as children.

This. Dwarves wouldn't toss out the corpses of their baby-snatched kids anymore than a northerner would have tossed out the corpse of his son if he'd fought for the south in the civil war.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:53:17 pm »

Likewise, I wish dwarves paid more respect to humans and elves (maybe) that die in their fortress. If not a coffin, at least an arrangement with the caravan to transport the remains.

It's pretty sad to see a valiant human caravan guard defend the fortress against a goblin ambush, and then see his remains get turned into a +human bone earring+.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:58:11 pm »

Failure to bury even the most traitorous or evil of your dwarven kin is one of the greatest crimes.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »

Likewise, I wish dwarves paid more respect to humans and elves (maybe) that die in their fortress. If not a coffin, at least an arrangement with the caravan to transport the remains.

It's pretty sad to see a valiant human caravan guard defend the fortress against a goblin ambush, and then see his remains get turned into a +human bone earring+.

I'm of the opposite persuasion. I want to be able to butcher, cook, and eat other humanoid species. I want elf meat roasts, elf tallow soap, elf leather armour, as well as elf bone bolts and elf skull totems.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Asatruer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »

Failure to bury even the most traitorous or evil of your dwarven kin is one of the greatest crimes.
Which is why the Hammerer doles out such harsh punishment for ignores it...

I know that they are not baby-snatched kids--from this fortress at least--so that argument does not hold well in this case. It is not even just other Dwarfs, I am pretty sure I have humans and maybe tree loving hippies entombed in my crypts as well. And the philosophical/theological reasoning definitely does not hold up for them.

I think I will just move the cenotaphs to the bottom of the drowning pit I am working on for my caged goblins and tree loving hippies I have stockpiled.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 11:43:04 pm »

I'm of the opposite persuasion. I want to be able to butcher, cook, and eat other humanoid species. I want elf meat roasts, elf tallow soap, elf leather armour, as well as elf bone bolts and elf skull totems.

Only an ELF eats other humanoid species.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:18 am »

does that make them "fair game"?

also, how is dwarven babby formed? of course they were snatched from a fortress somewhere or were born by baby-snatched dwarves. they deserve a proper burial.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:54 am »

does that make them "fair game"?

Heh heh, I think I may sig this.
Pages: [1] 2