Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Viyecetha: The Forsaken Few (Community Fortress)  (Read 1403 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Viyecetha: The Forsaken Few (Community Fortress)
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »

Viyecetha
A Dark Elven Community Fortress
Thanks go to catoblepas for use of his Dangerous Wilds Mod.

Author's Note:

So... I was going to make this a serious, dark, and brooding sort of fortress. But then catoblepas came out with the new version of his mod, and I genned a different world to start this in.

And then I got Roresa.

And suddenly the prospect of telling a story from the perspective of a sociopathic ditz seemed much more important.

So, onwards and upwards...

Backstory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the current world political situation. Yes, that is 10 hostile civilizations.

This game begins in year 3, the earliest possible. This is mainly in the hopes that a lot of megabeasts will still be wandering around. I guess we'll see how that goes.

On to the story!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:31:43 am by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
Bleh
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:24:19 am by Lord Dullard »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atharaelomi, the Wraith-Home (Community Fortress)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:15 pm »

I'll take the mason please. Name of 'Sphinxter'.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:46:16 pm »

May I suggest waiting until the next update for a community fortress? You won't have to deal with the likes of the annoying slig leather glitch, or the hordes of traders. It'll be out sometime today, I expect. I'm testing it right now.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:00:51 pm »

May I suggest waiting until the next update for a community fortress? You won't have to deal with the likes of the annoying slig leather glitch, or the hordes of traders. It'll be out sometime today, I expect. I'm testing it right now.

Hm.. very well. I'll go ahead and redo this once the update comes out.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:53 pm »

Although I must say, this fort idea does sound awesome. I'm done with the reactions, trap components, armor etc. Pretty much the only thing I need to do is test to see if the new armor items I included on your advice overlap correctly.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:13:46 am »

The Carnal Stump? Ewwwwwwwwwww. On the other hand, the Victim of Memories is a pretty cool group name.

I don't think I'll immediately claim an elf. Once you've written more, I'll have a better idea of what kind of character I want and how to make him/her fit in better with the overall tone and setting of the story.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
Re: Viyecetha: The Forsaken Few (Community Fortress)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:23:27 am »

*-._.-*{ 1 Granite, Year 3 After the Fall }*-._.-*

The dark elves trudged slowly through the snow and ice. Their little caravan was quite humble; they numbered seven elves, a shaggy old horse, a dejected-looking mule, and two tall, towering arachnids that seemed strangely suited to the frozen climes. It was these, not the pack animals, which were hauling the caravan. All but one of the elves was actively avoiding the stilt spiders, either by staying a good distance to the either side or keeping the wagon in between them.

The seventh dark elf was sitting on top of one of the spiders. In spite of the cold her hood was pulled down, and she was glancing about with some curiousity. Large shapes loomed off in the distance - it was too hard to tell what they were from here, and Roresa didn't even think the other elves had noticed. But they looked a little like elephants.

All at once the wagon gave a mangled-sounding shriek of complaint. Both wheels cranked inward at forty-five degree angles, and the eight-legged forms hauling the contraption struggled against their bonds momentarily before the rider called out, in distracted but somewhat amused tones, "Sparkle! Glitter! Stop!"

She hopped down, stretched, and plodded through the waist-high snow towards the wagon. The other elves were looking up now and only just realizing something had happened - their hoods, combined with the sound of the gale-force winds, had prevented them from hearing anything at all.

"What's going on!?" Shouted one of them. He had been a cook up until recently. There was something about him that Roresa didn't like.

"WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, SPEAK UP," Roresa screamed back.

"I SAID WHAT'S GOI--"

"THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT IN MY EAR," Roresa screeched into his ear at the top of her lungs. "The wagon is broken. But this place looks pleasant enough. We'll stay here."

The cook, and the other elves, looked around. 'Here' was a dismal looking cleft between two large hills. A short ways away some type of round pit in the earth descended out of their sight. Beyond that was a huge sheet of ice that extended on for miles and miles. A glacier.

"Here? We'll freeze to death!" Piped in a female dark elf, once a mason.

"Nonsense! It'll be nice and warm once we get underground. Now go get a pick!"

The cook shook his fist. "There's no way I'm staying here! We need to keep moving!"

Roresa smiled merrily. "If you won't stay here, I can't risk you being caught by the light-lovers and betraying us. SPARKLE. GLITTER. LUNCH TI--"

"NO, WAIT, I'LL STAY!" Screamed the cook, suddenly turning as pale as was possible for someone with near-black skin.

"Good! Go get a pick!"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:34:10 am by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:30:14 am »

There is six two one elf left. Sold out!
Ufaeir the Miner/Metalsmith (Male) (Taken)
Syfrax the Carpenter/Butcher/Tanner/Leatherworker (Male) (Taken)
Nidi the Mason/Mechanic (Female) (Taken)
Kat the Weapon/Armorsmith (Female) (Taken)
Vifrothal  the Cook/Furnace Operator (Male, grudge against Roresa) (Taken)
Sphinxter the Brewer/Hunter (Male) (Taken)

I'm going to reserve a male character for sonerohi, since he'd originally claimed one, but the current mason is a female. Therefore if he doesn't claim one himself before the other male characters, he'll just get the last male remaining.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:04:46 pm by Lord Dullard »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:45:18 am »

Seems only appropriate that I should join in on the first community fortress based off of my mod. Looks like this also will be my first community fortress I have participated in, as well. I'll take the carpenter/butcher/tanner/leatherworker if that's OK. Name him Syphax. (after syphax of Numidia).

Personality-wise, he is pleasant to talk with, as long as he expects one to be useful, otherwise, he is cool and indifferent towards those he deems his 'lessers'. He is not above using violence to settle his differences. (perhaps have him train as a wrestler in his off-time?). He is focused on achieving wealth and power (mostly wealth), however distant a goal that might be, he thinks that by bidding his time and carefully choosing who to associate with, anything is possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:25:24 am by catoblepas »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 02:05:30 am »

I'll take that battered cook.

Name: Vifrothal
Personality: A passive aggressive nobody. Takes orders but silently loathes those who give them. Would be motivated to action against them if he wasn't such a coward.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:16:35 am »

I'll take the Metalsmith please.
Name:Ufaeir
Personality: Grumpy. Is generally in a lousy mood for no particular reason. He hates being underground about as much as he hates being above ground. He hates the cold and warm weather pisses him off.
He is often drunk as well, which is understandable.
It is thought that he once traveled with a particularly disreputable dwarvish thief, hence his general aura of alchoholic bastard.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:21 am »

Log of Roresa Icithapelina, 9 Granite, Year 3 AF

Today we finished digging out a short tunnel under to our nice new farms. Of course, it's still freezing down there since we haven't constructed any doors to block the wind yet, but the brewer and that ugly lout Vifrothal say they think they can get some bloodcaps growing anyway with a little luck. I remain positive about our future.

The brewer demonstrated his worth by killing a naked molerat just yesterday, and dragging its lifeless carcass back to our campsite. I was quite impressed, but when he asked if he should continue hunting, I told him no, since the only things around left to hunt were those giant furry elephants. I had the smith construct a butchery and tannery for Syphax, who said he knows a little about each, so we managed to process the meat before it spoiled. Not that I suppose it would spoil in this sub-zero weather, but better safe than sorry.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:27 am »

Log of Roresa Icithapelina, 13 Granite, Year 3 AF

Today we started digging ourselves out some rooms now that the bloodcaps have been planted and seem to be taking to the silty soil here. I ordered a larger room to be dug out for myself. Vifrothal immediately started bitching about this and asking why I got a better room than anyone else before I told him obviously I'd need more room since Sparkle and Glitter would be sleeping with me. He quickly shut up.

Unfortunately the room I had excavated for myself was full of ugly sand. I don't want to live like one of those furry little hobbits, so I gave the room to Vifrothal to be generous. Somehow he didn't seem happy.

The miner and metalsmith, Ufaeir, seems to be perpetually pissed off about something. When I asked him if he liked his new room, he said no, he hated it. I asked him why and he said it was because it was square. So I asked if he'd prefer a circular room, and he said that circular rooms makes him feel dizzy and that would be even worse.

I gave up after that.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 06:14:38 pm »

I would certainly like to join up for this expedition.  As the miner/mason, if that would be acceptable.  She'll go by the name of Nidi.  She's somewhat of a loner, and enjoys working by herself.  Still, she's loyal and will help out, though her laziness often gets the better of her.

(Of course, if Sonerohi wants the mason, then I'd be fine with the war-smith).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:20:59 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: [1] 2