Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bauxite Mechanisms?  (Read 874 times)

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
Bauxite Mechanisms?
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »

So I'm in a pretty igneous map, it would seem, so I don't think I have any bauxite readily available for mechanisms for my magma channel. I thought that I'd be able to trade for them, but I don't see bauxite on the trader's list at all. Am I missing something here?
I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals...

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: Bauxite Mechanisms?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:51:29 pm »

Your parent civ doesn't have access to it, better start exploratory mining
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:57:05 pm »

Nope, you can only trade for stone that your mountainhome has access to. Looks like yours doesn't have bauxite. Sorry.

When you're embarking, whatever you have access to to bring with you is the same stuff you'll have access to through trade, so you ought to check for bauxite and any other special stone or gems you might want, so you'll be able to trade for them later. I believe you can always trade for all types of metal bars with dwarves, even if you can't trade for the raw ore (which I prefer).

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:36 pm »

...but...but the firey magma...
I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals...

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »

fake it with pumps

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »

Make an overly complex pump-system to get water to the level where you intend to pour the magma in, then flip the switch to pour water on a specific part of the flow, in order to plug the magma with an obsidian wall.

Option two, fail horribly along the way and flood your entire fort.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »

ya you can block magma with pumps, just dont use wooden pipes or it will burn. make sure that you have to have it entirely out of magma safe materials for it to be covered in magma.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:53:04 pm »

...but...but the firey magma...
There is a mod that adds in realistic temperature values for more of the stones, producing a significantly larger number of magma-proof rocks.  The best parts, it doesn't need re-gen, and it makes the game more realistic without any consequences.

See the Community Mods & Utilities list under the modding sub-forum.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember