Author Topic: Music  (Read 4234 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Music
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:15:32 am »

What type of music does everyone like?

I used to be a huge Nirvana fan, but have somehow moved from Nirvan and Metallica to the first Linkin Park and Rise Against.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:56 am »

Nat King Cole, Sinatra (both Frank and Nancy), Beatles, Elvis. Joplin, Hendrix, Cash. Bowie and Dylan, obviously. More modern tastes include some Cibo Matto, Regina Spektor. Basically anything from the 50's, and brief instances of brilliance since then.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:33:38 am »

I thought about making a thread for this earlier today.

I listen to pretty much everything with some exceptions, those being new age, jazz, and gospel which includes any genre that includes anything with the word "Christian" in front of it, though I do like the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, so i can handle some of that. I'd add pop to that list, but that's not really a genre, and I like Billy Joel, and Prince who were pop music in their own time.

Flavors of the week are probably, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, (new album is a strange blast of modern New Wave, not as good as Show Your Bones or Fever to Tell, but still worth it) The Kills, (how were they missing from my collection! It's like a great fusion of older BRMC with some Sleater Kinney and some bluesy touches for good measure. The songs No Wow, M.E.X.I.C.O and Good Night Bad Morning are all really great) Rilo Kiley, (All their albums are quite good but particularly The Execution of All Things and More Adventurous) and The Toadies. (most known for Possum Kingdom, but they so consistently kick out the f*cking jams that their body of work is worth a listen)

My favorite bands are The Bouncing Souls and Rage Against the Machine, the latter for nostalgia and what they gave me, and the former for optimism and what they continue to give me.

I'm sure there's an obvious rock and "indie" (a genre title I hate) thread through there but I also enjoy, Bach and Liszt, The Coup and the Pharcyde, Neko Case and Jenny Lewis, (see above Rilo Kiley) so the other major genres are covered in there.

Sorry for the long post, but I really enjoy talking about music, and can for quite a while.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:48:08 am by viskaslietuvai »
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:22:38 am »

Metal. Not Nu-Metal. Not metalcore, no kind of xcore. Black and Death metal.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:34:43 am »

The Red army choir and Ivan Baranov are awesome.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:32:35 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 03:34:27 am »

Wait, wrong one...

The final coutdown

Europe is a prime example of what you can call an 80's One-Hit-Wonder band.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:16 am »

Hey, it's still an epic song.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:22 am »

Strangely, I like a lot of Europe's stuff. Good song, though.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:16:08 am »

Hard dance, trance, rap.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:22:06 am »

I listen to a little metal but my CD and MP3 collections are a mixed bag. I'm a big fan of Rob Zombie. KMFDM is decent. From there it's a lot of miscellany. A few songs from Cibo Matto (notice they were mentiond earlier) The Sneaker Pimps, Modest Mouse, The White Stripes and Gravity Kills.

My top three musicians are...

1: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Also "The Birthday Party")

I'd argue that for most bands lyrics are unimportant, and the human voice is merely another instrument. You can tune out on what they're saying and you miss nothing. Not so for Nick Cave. His lyrics are complex and loaded with all kinds of imagery, often alluding to literature or religion. Cave's voice is not perfect but I think it adds to the effect. Instead of just another instrument, you get a real human voice.

His first band was The Birthday Party, where apparently his major influence at the time was heroin. I don't generally differentiate between the two bands because Cave was the front man for both and the transition from one to the other seemed pretty smooth.

2: Bjork

She's Scandinavian and nutty. If you're not familiar with Bjork I'm not sure I can explain her. If you are familiar with Bjork, no explanation is necessary.

3: Led Zepplin

One of the top rock bands of the late 60's and on into the 70's, they made some music in the 80's, but personally I think it pales in comparison to their earlier stuff. If you're alive you've probably heard of them. At least one member (Robert Plant) is still kicking around in the music industry.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:33:04 pm by Awayfarer »
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

FoboslC

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 07:49:10 am »

Mostly trance, dark psyche trance, goa, and electronic.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:04:47 am »

Imperial March is awesome.

Well, I... listen to... J-pop, techno, trance, what-other-genres-that-fit-here

No, no metal, nor heavy metal, death metal, [RANDOMNAME] metal.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:17:01 am »

1: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Also "The Birthday Party")

Mother

Fucking

Yes

Dig Lazarus Dig is easily the best album of 2008

Other than that...well I've been listening a lot of Billy Joel and Alice in Chains lately, I'm listening to Rush right now and my all time favorite musicians are Bob Dylan and Steven Wilson.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:05:49 am »

Hmm...

Thyrfing, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Korpiklaani, Wolfchant, Amon Amarth, Tyr, Alestorm, Turisas, Wintersun.

Also Megadeth, Led Zepplin, Rise Against, Soilwork, Atreyu, All That Remains,Disarmonia Mundi, Static-X, Powerman 5000, Opeth, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Finger Eleven, Insomnium, Allele, Alter Bridge, Sentenced, Anubis Gate.

Some bands that I like some of their songs are Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Skillet, Sixx A.M., Rob Zombie, Ra, Sick Puppies, Strapping Young Lad, Sum 41, Systematic, Korn, Taproot, Switched, Trivium, Lost Prophets, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Dope, Disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Black Stone Cherry, Blur, Alexisonfire, Avenged Sevenfold, Alien Ant Farm, and...pheww...Finntroll.

These are all off the top of my head.
Pages: [1] 2 3