Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: small mod to create anvils without requiring an anvil  (Read 1844 times)

quartic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
small mod to create anvils without requiring an anvil
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »

This is really simple, and a bunch of you already probably know how, but I was not able to find any references to this in the forum or the wiki.

This is two smelter reactions to create iron and steel anvils. This removes the bizzare recursive dependency that existed before in the game world ('create iron anvil' requires a forge, which requires an anvil...). This assumes the motel iron or steel is simple poured into a sand/dirt/whatever cast (I assumed some molding material to be present at the smelter, otherwise what would ingots be cast into?).

This goes into raw/objects/reaction_standard.txt
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CAST_IRON_ANVIL]
[NAME:cast iron anvil]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:CAST_STEEL_ANVIL]
[NAME:cast steel anvil]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

If I remember correctly from mod guides, this will also require regenerating the world because new smelter reactions are added. I hope others find this useful.

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: small mod to create anvils without requiring an anvil
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

Yes I actually think it is very cool. It is one of those things I honestly scratched my head over. Kinda the chicken and egg thing. But last time I checked Melting and Pouring metal does not require an anvil. Not really a deal breaker either way, but being able to make an anvil relatively quickly after embark will be cool.
In other news however, I believe the reason you normally can not make your own anvil upon start of game is due to initial resources. An anvil "costs" 1000 points to buy at the embark screen. Being able to not buy an anvil now and spend those extra points on other things will just make things that much easier. But then again, not having that anvil until you make, or buy one might just kill you on some embark locations ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:38:59 pm »

What you have would work.  I would make a craft item called "anvil cast" that would be both a reagent and product of the reaction, just for flavor though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

quartic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:37 pm »

I definitely agree about potentially making things easier.

I also think that embarking with stone (for smelter building material)+ ore (to smelt to bars) + wood (to burn for charcol) + bituminous coal (to burn for charcoal) , giving workshops + bars, and then casting an anvil, then building a forge, then forging tools + weapons is very dwarf-like.  ;D

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:15 pm »

code stolen for a mode I'm tinkering with. :) Thanks for thinking of this!
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:10:56 pm »

This is really simple, and a bunch of you already probably know how, but I was not able to find any references to this in the forum or the wiki.

This is two smelter reactions to create iron and steel anvils. This removes the bizzare recursive dependency that existed before in the game world ('create iron anvil' requires a forge, which requires an anvil...). This assumes the motel iron or steel is simple poured into a sand/dirt/whatever cast (I assumed some molding material to be present at the smelter, otherwise what would ingots be cast into?).

This goes into raw/objects/reaction_standard.txt
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CAST_IRON_ANVIL]
[NAME:cast iron anvil]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:CAST_STEEL_ANVIL]
[NAME:cast steel anvil]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

If I remember correctly from mod guides, this will also require regenerating the world because new smelter reactions are added. I hope others find this useful.

Yeah I know Necro-threading.

Did you know that Granite and other hard rocks were used as anvils? They had to be carved to be smooth, they didn't last as long or work as well as the metal ones.

[REACTION:CARVE_GRANITE_ANVIL]
   [NAME:carve granite anvil]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:2:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GRANITE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GRANITE]

You may wish to increase the number of blocks needed and/or add fuel back into the reaction.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:54:29 am »

Greetings!

The manufacture of anvils was quite an exciting process, back in the day. They would literally channel a small waterfall on the hot casting to cool it quickly enough to harden it. Now that's Dwarven!

I knew of at least one smith who used a granite stone "anvil" for period work, because the surface left an interesting pattern on the worked metal. A good fine-grained and DENSE stone should make a passable anvil, at least until a better alternative can be acquired.

Rochndil, who has a few anvils, but still wants a bigger one...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »

Rochndil, who has a few anvils, but still wants a bigger one...

See I only have an ASO and want an anvil (and a forge to go with it...).

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:53 am »

See I only have an ASO and want an anvil (and a forge to go with it...).

Make your own, it's easier than it looks: http://members.tripod.com/rochndil/mudforge.html

And it still works, quite a few years later.

Rochndil, master of mud...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

quartic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:20:40 am »

Glad this is (still) of interest. I did not know about granite anvils before, so that's something I'll keep in mind for future reference, thanks. ;)

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:34:43 am »

Sorry to necrothread, but I also found this useful.  I've managed to forget the anvil on an island with no visiting caravans.  I'm planning on modifying an existing reaction so as not to need a regen.

Thanks again for this!

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:16:09 pm »

Okay, is it possible for the granite anvil to lower the quality of things used to make it? To balance things out... So can it lower the quality of work done on it by, say, 3 levels?

"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 05:47:24 am »

Okay, is it possible for the granite anvil to lower the quality of things used to make it? To balance things out... So can it lower the quality of work done on it by, say, 3 levels?

No, the material and quality of the anvil currently have no effect on the item, as far as I know.