Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OASIS---Let's Play  (Read 2844 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OASIS---Let's Play
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »

Before the rise of Narmer, what we know as "Egypt" was divided into Lower Egypt (which lies in the delta region of the Nile), and Upper Egypt (which lies south of the Lower Egypt). Egypt was in fact composed of autonomous villages, each having local control over their own affairs, waging war on one another. These conflicts were part of a broader power struggle between the two main Gods of Egypt, Seth (God of the Desert, Storms, Darkness, and Chaos), and Horus (God of the Sky, the Sun, and War). This war would continue for a long time...until the lesser Gods of Egypt intervened on behalf of Horus. Seth has lost the war, for now at least, and was exiled into the far reaches of the Egyptian deserts, while Horus gained full control over both Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt.

Horus decided to excerise his control over Egypt thorugh Narmer, who was divinely appointed to be the first King of Egypt. It is Narmer that established the current system of government that has served us for so long, and he deserved to be called the founder of Modern Egypt.

Narmer and his successors are known as "Pharaohs", and they serve as divine "spiritual intermediaries" (both a man and a God), speaking on behalf of all the Egyptian gods, especially the supreme god Horus. Therefore, he is deserving of the loyalty of all Egyptians. Not only is the Pharaoh the supreme military commander, he is the head of the government, and has complete and utter control over the land and its resources. The Pharaoh is tasked by Maat, the Goddess of Truth and Friend of Horus, to enact laws, deliver justice, and maintain law and order. To assist him in these dire tasks, the Pharaoh has a second-in-command, a Vizier, who represent the King and coordinate the administration work for the good of the empire.

The grand and mighty Egyptian empire is subdivided into administrative divisions known as Sepats. The leaders of these Sepats, known as Governors, are directly appointed by the Pharaoh, in order to help implement the will of Horus. These Governors are further backed by religious Priests, who act as the intermediaries of the Gods and of the Pharaoh, to allow for anyone to petition communicate with the Gods. It is this divine system, created by Narmer himself, that has caused Egypt to remain unified up to this very day.

Under Narmer, the conquests of Egypt began. The territories of Libya, Nubia, and Cannan were taken over, thanks to the blessings granted to us by Horus himself. The raw resources provided by these territories were instrumental in keeping Egypt content.

With a stable economy to ensure the prosperity of the grand Egyptian empire, our Pharaohs were able to build great mouments, both to honor the Gods, and to prepare for their own Afterlife. These grand tombs were built by Egyptian peasents paying a very small "labor tax", which was often times a small sacrifice compared to the greatness the Pharaohs provided to the Egyptian Empire. These peasents also assisted in the building of temples, quarries, canals, and roads, thereby furthering the reaches and power of the magnificent rule of our Pharaohs.

The Dark Times however took Egypt by surprise, engulfing it entirely. The great Pharaoh, Pepi II, died after reiging for 64 years, causing instability as people wondered who would rule after him. The Governors of the Sepats became greedy for power, not wishing to serve the interests of Egypt. They broke away from the Pharaoh to run their own fiefdoms. The great public works of the past, including mighty mounments, were destroyed by these rebel Governors. Egypt was in turmoil, wicked rulers rose to oppress the people, and famine gripped the nation. However, the great Gods of Egypt would intervene on behalf of Justice, and helped the Intef family, based in Thebes, to finally liberate Egypt. Justice was restored, and the Egyptian empire again prospered. The Intef Family became the new Parahohs of Egypt, and their dynasty is known as the Falcon Dynasty.

The Falcon Dynasty went to work, implementing reforms to ensure that the Dark Times will never come back to haunt Egypt again. The first major reform moving their capital to Amenemhat-itj-tawy, in order to act as a military base to protect the Empire's froniters from barbarains, to ensure the survival of Egypt. The second major reform is to send in people to check the Governors, to ensure that they behave and will not rebel, as well as to guide the Governors to ensure that justice is spread throughout the land. These two reforms will ensure the prosperity of the Egyptian Empire forever. Horus will be pleased.

The second reform is why I, the Prince of the great Falcon King Merneferre Ay, arrived at the Sepat of Aneb-Hetch. Along with my trustworthy Vizier, I will bring greatness to the Egyptian Empire, by ensuring that the Governor of this Sepat will fufil his appointed duty. This is indeed only a minor job, and after a few months, I will return back to Amenemhat-itj-tawy and resume my life of luxury. But there will be a day when Merneferre Ay will die, and pass the throne onto me. This is an learning experience, one that I will treasure.

What can go wrong?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:48:45 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

FoboslC

Re: OASIS---Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »

What is this, I dont even...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:46:47 pm »

OASIS is a mix between a puzzle game and an strategy game. You play as the leader of Ancient Egypt, as you try to find cities, build roads, research technologies, find advisors, etc. as you prepare for the barbarian invasion of your Sepat (the game calls them Kingdoms).

The game isn't historically accurate. There also isn't much of a plotline, so I have to invent one, but I did get inspired by the 35 Levels that they did include in this game. It is also easy to mod in new Levels, so that would be great, if I ever have to mod them in.

In each Sepat, there is an Oasis, and on that Oasis is an oblisek that hides the Glyph of Power. To win the scenario, you have to find 12 of these Glyphs and protect the Glyphs from those barbarians. There are 7 scenarios, but I plan on changing the scenarios on player's requests and also if one of my Leaders, well, kick the bucket.

OASIS is a great game. According to Wikipedia:
*Oasis received Game Tunnel's 2005 "Game of the Year"[10] and "Strategy Game of the Year" awards.[11] The game also won the Independent Games Festival's 2004 "Seumas McNally Grand Prize" and "Innovation in Game Design" awards in the web/downloadable category.[12]

So, it is a good indie game to play. You might want to buy a used copy on Amazon though, the company that made this game is selling it for $20.

Also, for the most part, I am using real Egyptian names randomly picked from Wikipedia, as well as the Egyptian names that the game itself use. I am not sure if I should allow for the Bay12ers to choose the names for the Leaders that I will be playing as. While it does allow for interactivity, it might destroy the flavor text.

Anyway, I'm just posting this so I don't forget it. I do have to finish my other Let's Plays, of course. The General should be quite easy to finish up, as Russia is winning against those Xenos scum in Germany.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

FoboslC

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »

Cool, I, uhm, in.?
Dling the game now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:04:09 pm »

Despite all arguments for historical names, I propose Aqizzar for the name of our glorious leader.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 03:07:42 pm »

I was going to say, Aqizzar does sound vaguely Egyptian doesn't it?  Well, ancient Arabian anyway, which is kind of close.  Of course, it doesn't really sound like anywhere.

Post lots of screenshots of the gameplay, I'm curious how this works.  It uses arrangement and a strategy-like element to find and hold points around a map, or something?  Sounds puzzley alright.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

It's not Dwarf Fortress.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:01:09 am »

Spoiler: Aneb-Hetch (click to show/hide)

I spoiled it because of images in the first part of this update. I have finished the Tutorial mind you, I just need to upload the pictures and come up with some way to tie the pictures together, and that takes time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:10:42 am by Servant Corps »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

This game odd.  Keep going.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »

Reading this topic reminds me of when I played this game...
*hopes to revive*

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

Alright, this is just unnecessary.

Twi, I'll have to ask you to stop resurrecting topics. Please?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »

This game odd.  Keep going.
And it never happened.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »

I'd love to see this. OASIS is a great game.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »

I mean, I finished taking pictures of the entire Tutorial, but I soon began to realize C+P the pictures is sorta a bad idea...if I do Oasis again, I'll see if it is possible to make it a video LP (I haven't had luck with it).

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »

I mean, I finished taking pictures of the entire Tutorial, but I soon began to realize C+P the pictures is sorta a bad idea...if I do Oasis again, I'll see if it is possible to make it a video LP (I haven't had luck with it).
I recommend CamStudio.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: [1] 2