Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Journal of Stonebastion  (Read 854 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Journal of Stonebastion
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:40:31 am »

[this is my first shot of making a story of one of my fortresses, so here goes, have fun reading.]

[By the way, i will just add onto this main post as the story goes.]

First of granite, 201:

Well, time to start digging, and this area looks promising. The site has been named Stonebastion, for we will hold evil at bay here. My name is Cilob Fikodnebél, and we have actually stopped our wagon right above the entrance to the underground we have marked. me and the others will start digging it out. we have found a small copper vein that was right on the surface near the area we chose to dig. There is also a magma pipe nearby. The area is a bit cold though. I will only put notable events down, or just write every season. Strike the earth!

21st Granite, 201:

YAHOO! we struck gold! IT was right there in one o the first chambers of the fortress proper in the design! Armok surely smiles upon us. On a less satisfying note... we can't seem to find Adel Idendeg, a Carpenter, i hope she's alright.

19th felsite, 201:

The hollowing out of the outpost is going along nicely, we found Adel's body... she seemed to have wounds on her back, of some sort, and died of thirst, some ways out east of the outpost. we are hollowing out the arming area right now, and over half of the hub is complete. one of the barracks is shaping up nicely, we also have a temporary communal workshop area, in one of the larger halls.
The outer fortifications have been planned, and they are being worked on. though, my head still hurts from that small cavein... no damage though, other than my pride.

1st Hematite, 201:

Summer has arrived, our first year here... one death, but progress is being made. This will be, Armok willing, a most profitable and sturdy fortress. I hope to soon have some basic trade-goods going back to the Mountainhome, and so that profit can be made.

2nd Malachite, 201:
Macaques! i hate them... spooking my companions.. and trying to steal things... those beady eyes... I sent our axe-dwarf after them, who is also our lumber-dwarf. that blade should cut them nicely.

14th Malachite, 201:

he got them all, can't see a living monkey as far as the eye can see. haha, well done. WE are preparing for the coming caravan, and even setting up a lava pipe, which can be converted to a defensive mechanism, if need be, a bit of lava would do the trick of setting fire... in case of a really bad siege.

16th limestone, 201:

Ah, i can see the caravan on the horizon, to the south of us, barely.. they will be here soon. we have mugs to sell.. and... more mugs... maybe humans might buy them... pansies... much to do... i hope we can get some good items from the caravan...

19th Sandstone, 201:

The merchants have left, and we did some good business, our fortress progresses well, but i'm starting to feel very nervous about our current defensive situation... the entrance of our fortress is still wide open in the air, but i'm trying to get others working more on that project... i've heard reports from scouts before we came here... coming across nearby settlements of orcs, and gobbos... it's only a matter of time before they find us, and attack.

4th Moonstone, 201:

Tings have been, uneventful so far, thank Armok. Someone said they spotted some skelatal mountain-goats in the distance... but they did not seem visible again... water has frozen over... everywhere... it's so cold now... i hate the winter... at least we are underground now... for the most part...

7th Moonstone, 201:

I've ordered a cunning project, for a deep well, for the fortress, hopefully, it can be completed quickly, before the ice thaws, because that will flood us.

13th Opal, 201:

DAMNED MONKEYS! they stole some things... one almost got away with a rope, while others made off with pieces of clothing... i hate those monkeys... alot...

10th Granite, 202:

I don't believe my eyes, turtles, walking on two legs, and it's a caravan. Eh, business is business. This should be interesting though... It's a new year, and the well project is nearly complete, and nearly ready to be implemented... fresh water even through the winter.

27th Granite, 202:

FOUR CARAVANS! FOUR FREAKING CARAVANS! we've been so nusy here, moveing goods back and forth, bartering with four peoples, Elves, we knew... but then there are the turtles, Jackals on two legs, and tigers on two legs. By Armok they are all tall! this is good business indeed! we are out of things to sell, and we have new allies. ahh, tis good to be a Dwarf!

15th slate, 202:

Immigrants, lots of them! We now are 26 strong, 20 immigrants! thank Armok that they came! we needed more hands around here.

12th Felsite, 202:we broke open the lava-pipe, bringing the Glass furnace, and the metal-works to working order, I'm looking at them right now as I write, ahhh... it feels good to be near the warmth of a forge.

2nd Hematite, 202:

Not much really to write about right now, population is doing well, relocating the workshops to the industry wing, to the north of the hub, which is near the magma-pipe. More will be written when it comes... i need a drink.

10th Malachite, 202:

A surprise was on the horizon, more dwarves, coming to live here! i'm going to count how many come... but we'll see what happens.

13th Malachite, 202:

Well, took some time, to sort them out, and give then tasks, but we now have 8 more dwarves, and some animals new, two children among the 8 immigrants.

9th Granite, 202:

Armok damn them.... damn those undead... they have killed many dwarves... undead fire imps, and undead mountain goats... damn them all!

27th Timber, 202:

i have not been doing so well, feeling better now that there's booze again... something lit all the booze we had on fire... dwarves flying everywhere... there was a cat clinging to the ceiling... the stone ceiling.

15th Moonstone, 202:

Armok be with us, orcs... on the horizon... to the west, all we can do, is try to survive this... maybe kill them... Armok be with us...

15th Opal, 202:

Those Orcs are still out there... i can see them on the nearby mountain-peak... just sitting there... and farting at their campfire... disgusting savages... oh, nice! one of them just got a lick of flame up it's ass! now that is entertaining.

3rd Obsidian, 202:

Nearing the end of the year... and those orcs are still there... and we've even gotten closer to them, after having found some rich seams of copper ore... and the orcs are too stupid to realize what the sounds of mining are... those orcs are... as unlikely as it sounds, less intelligent than gobbos.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:18:40 pm by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Journal of Stonebastion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:37 pm »

please people, give comments. i want to know what you think. i'll work on some images for you all to see... of the fortress proper, and also the surface level.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:43:03 am by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:51:29 am »

Undead mountain goats are one thing, but Fire imps? Damn. At least they aren't skeletal. Good luck man.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:31:00 am »

they are skeletal fire imps...

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:17:54 am »

they are skeletal fire imps...
Well, I suppose Armok is truly with you. :|
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:46:47 am »

damn.... damn... damn... my save-file has gone corrupt... for some odd reason. nothing has changed. no savescumming... just... pffft...