Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Impoverished  (Read 2172 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impoverished
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:36:44 pm »

If you did this with elves, could you use your starting wood to make a wooden axe with which to get more wood? Heh.

It seems to me that of your available options, decorated bone bolts would make wealth the fastest. Bones come from hunting or fishing, of course. You only get small stacks from fishing, though, so if you have some large and fairly harmless animals on the map (goats, maybe?) they'd be a better source of bone.

Cooking makes compact wealth, but it's not necessarily very fast, especially since your dwarves are unskilled. I guess the question is if it's better to have all of your dwarves working on the same approach, or if you should split your efforts. Given that you need at least one dwarf gathering plants to provide food (unless you want your dwarves wasting time hunting for vermin to eat), you may as well cook what you gather with that dwarf.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rusty the Skatemaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »

You can embark on a wooded coastline.

Deconstruct the wagon and build and deconstruct floors over the driftwood to have a fair amount of wood available at the start.  Use the wood to make your barrels and get a food industry rolling.  You'll need to make a screw pump and fill up a constructed tank for drinking water until alcohol is available.

This is all conjecture, haven't tried it personally.

You can't utilize driftwood in any way.

Appears you're correct.  I'm not sure what led me to believe otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:10:53 pm by Rusty the Skatemaker »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 08:00:02 pm »

You can embark on a wooded coastline.

Deconstruct the wagon and build and deconstruct floors over the driftwood to have a fair amount of wood available at the start.  Use the wood to make your barrels and get a food industry rolling.  You'll need to make a screw pump and fill up a constructed tank for drinking water until alcohol is available.

This is all conjecture, haven't tried it personally.

You can't utilize driftwood in any way.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:07:32 pm »

I think I might try this on a map with ogres.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:58:10 am »

A depot requires 3 wood, and a wagon provides 3 wood.  So all you can do at the start is trade gathered plants and fish, no?  Or am I missing something?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »

You don't need to build a depot until the caravan is due to arrive.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 01:10:26 pm »

As long as you don't build anything that "uses" up the wood (like barrels, bolts, and the like), you can take your constructions apart to reclaim the wood and use it to build the depot. You just need to make certain that the depot is built before the traders decide to try to visit you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »

As long as you don't build anything that "uses" up the wood (like barrels, bolts, and the like), you can take your constructions apart to reclaim the wood and use it to build the depot. You just need to make certain that the depot is built before the traders decide to try to visit you.

Even if it's not built when they show up, they'll wait around at the edge of the map for you to build it.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 01:19:18 pm »

I hoped I will never say this - but use search - I myself have started 2 topics on this challenge mode.

It. Is. Not. So. Easy.

You are right - it is not so easy, it is VERY easy. All you need is a bit of patience.

You can get INCREDIBLE amount of wealth for traders by
a) herbalism -> biscuits
b) herbalism / silk gathering -> cloth industry
c) fishing / hunting -> biscuits + bone craft (+ leather industry)
d) selling all your clothes to traders
e) robbing traders by trading depot deconstruction exploit

If you want challenge, then DO NOT deconstruct your wagon.
No building material -> no trade -> no immigrants (probably) -> no tools -> no building material -> repeat.
I see no exit this circle than somehow killing traders and taking their stuff.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »

Having started doing this last night, I've already had some fun and learnt some lessons.  In no particular order:

• Hunting is good.  I realised early on that a kitchen is better than a tannery, and tallow roasts are worth more than fox leather.  My bone craft and totem industry is progressing rapidly.  Two hunters is enough to keep the rest of the industry going.
  • Hunting can be not so good.  When one of your hunters gets reduced to (oh so many) chunks by a particularly feisty wolf, his friends get upset.  They may be on the edge already because of the lack of chairs, clean water, booze, beds, etc.
  • Oh dear God, why did I plan ahead and embark near a magma vent?  Fire imps set my herbalist on fire.  Now the whole map is on fire.  Remember!  Only you can prevent forest fire-related tantrum spirals.
Pages: 1 [2]