Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Foresthold  (Read 3479 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Foresthold
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 09:23:50 am »

I agree with the underground road thing. I used to connect hunting lodges with undergorund roads. Good times.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:22 am »

wooden floors

Why not use stone? Surely you've got plenty of that. Unless you're drowning in logs (and i'd guess you're not) use stone for everything. I suppose that does make it more realistic. But stone floors are more dwarfy. :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Oh!  I did this once, actually, yours looks alot like mine.  It was my first successful fortress, in fact.  It's survived a few sieges almost without loss.  I had an aquifer 2 z levels down, though, and a much smaller fort, because I had less room to work with because it was in a valley.  If you've hit a rut, build it taller.  Alot taller.  I had towers going to the highest z level when I finally quit mine, and I had four above ground covered levels.

I love building above ground forts.   ;D

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »

wooden floors

Why not use stone? Surely you've got plenty of that. Unless you're drowning in logs (and i'd guess you're not) use stone for everything. I suppose that does make it more realistic. But stone floors are more dwarfy. :)
In order to keep my original wood cutter busy I designated pretty much everything within 10-20 tiles of anywhere I though I might eventually build...  I can usually keep my wood stocks above 100, although it's slowed down now that my legendary woodcutter died in a goblin ambush.

That being said, it also keeps the carpenters busy, and lets my masons concentrate on getting the walls done.

Oh!  I did this once, actually, yours looks alot like mine.  It was my first successful fortress, in fact.  It's survived a few sieges almost without loss.  I had an aquifer 2 z levels down, though, and a much smaller fort, because I had less room to work with because it was in a valley.  If you've hit a rut, build it taller.  Alot taller.  I had towers going to the highest z level when I finally quit mine, and I had four above ground covered levels.

I love building above ground forts.   ;D
I'll probably start building the towers higher once I get the walls connecting the towers, and possibly the wall surrounding the map, although that's likely to be a little more time consuming.  the walls may stay where they are, just for aesthetic reasons (multi-level walls look kind weird).

Thanks everyone!

[EDIT]: I was considering doing a mural using my civilization's symbol, on the floor of what will eventually be the kings throne room, when I realized my symbol was a piece of cloth.......  woot.  Any ideas for an interesting mural?  Preferably in gray, brown and red :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:43:15 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:27 am »

Update!

The Map

Picture 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Picture 2:
Picture 3:

[EDIT]:  Fixed link.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:22:32 am by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:12 pm »

Okay, it's been three years since my last update on the forum, although the years are still up individually on the map archive.  Any comments, critisism, etc?

The Map

Spoiler: The Latest Project (click to show/hide)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »

Well, you said you were new to DF and a large megaproject would be to difficult for you, but I disagree. part of what makes DF so fun. Besides, it's those "Wait, what did this lever do ag- OH MY GOD THEIR ALL ON FIRE HOW DID THAT HAPPEN" moments that make DF so much fun.

Also, it's good experience. You gotta try something crazy at some time, so might as well try it on a good fort where you have many skilled/expendable workers and food available in case of emergencies.

I recommend this as a starting project: A shower for your dwarves. Alternatively, a waterfall. Something with pumps, lots of them. It's good practice at being thorough and planning ahead: if you don't, your dwarves will drown.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:34 pm »

You know what, you make a very good point.  How much water is safe for a dwarven shower though?  I'm sure I could get them into it easy enough, but how much water can I use without them drowning?  Actually, if I made the bottom pump in the shower manually operated, would the amount of water coming out be enough to drown them?

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:21 pm »

if I may paraphrase robert browning:
"If a dwarves reach may not exceed their grasp, then what's a fortress for?"

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:50 pm »

Do the math.

No one even starts drowning until the water is 5/7.  If you fill the entire area up to 5/7 (or even a little more), but have the pump already working, then 4/7's will appear almost immediately, and they'll just learn to swim that much faster.

A door and drawbridge connected to the same lever (or more than one), one the exit and one the fill end of a reservoir, will deliver a measured amount of water every time.  (When a lever is thrown "open", the door opens and the drawbridge raises - shutting the hall it's in front of.  Throw, empty. Throw again, fill.)

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 06:18:11 pm »

One method that I might suggest for forcing single entry points but still allowing quick outside access along your walls are moats with bridges over them.  Connect all the bridges to a single lever placed in a high traffic area that you can quickly pull in the event of an invasion.  It may still leave some of your dwarfs trapped outside but it should protect the inner fortress area, by having your enemies funneled into the danger areas.

Also one thing you could do with the different fort areas you have going is to make them into drowning chambers for your enemies/elves.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 04:27:33 am »

Okay, one mini-update, and a quick question. 

1.  The tower is done.  The year isn't up so I won't be uploading a new map, but I did record myself dropping a cat down the 21-level fall.  Not the best recording, cause a freaking goblin theif shows up near the end, but it shows the functionality.  The video can be found here.

2.  I was just thinking, what if, instead of building a water-fall or shower, I built the steam machine found here (thanks AncientEnemy!), but set it up in such a way that I can trap dwarves in the corners to bathe them and teach them to swim?  However, that would require that I wall off each corner to prevent the dwarves from moving, which would block the mist.  Would it work if I build fortifications instead?

ElTacoLad

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM The Taco Lad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:33 am »

What tileset are you using? I like it.   :D
treat it like royalty, obviously.
Quote from:  Eviltyphoon
magma
Aren't these the same thing? 
KG

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »

What tileset are you using? I like it.   :D

It's a mix of several that I liked.  I've actually changed the walls and floors to try out a set withuot the curved wall, as I had originally wanted diagonals, but the curved wall don't work.  I like the one I'm using now, but I'm trying to decide if I like it better than the one in the last update or not...  The next update will use the new walls/floors and I can get some input.

If you want the tileset let me know, although some of the objects might be colored a little differently now, cause I updated even the older one with some new, smoother looking objects.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 12:18:23 am »

I did record myself dropping a cat down the 21-level fall.  Not the best recording, cause a freaking goblin theif shows up near the end, but it shows the functionality.  The video can be found here.

Nice.  Totally not how I anticipated a cat would explode.  Thanks for that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3