Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Foresthold  (Read 3485 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Foresthold
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:47:32 pm »

Hello everyone, my current fortress is now three years old, and I've run out of ideas.  I would like any comments, criticism (so long as it is constructive, this is my favorite.  Otherwise, keep it to yourself), ideas for mega projects, etc.

I'm relatively new at Dwarf Fortress, so as much as I'd absolutely love to build a massive pyramid with a lever inside a maze that can flood, burn, or otherwise destroy the entire world, it's a little over my head at the moment.  Currently, my only real plans for expansion include the finishing of the road, or towers along it, as well as possibly digging out more bedrooms or dining rooms where designated via a PoI on the map.  As such, any ideas are welcome, and please feel free to critique the general design, as I'd really like to do better next time.  Oh, and I realize I built to close too the edge, I'm still beating myself up over that...

The Map

3D Pictures!  (Click to see full-size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:59:46 am by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foresthold
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »

Uh, how come in the tomb levels, there are some bauxite walls that look like smoothed floors? *scratches head*

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:40:11 pm »

Uh, how come in the tomb levels, there are some bauxite walls that look like smoothed floors? *scratches head*
Didn't notice that... I'll see if I can figure out what's going on there... probably a tile I screwed up.

[EDIT]: Okay, it's actually Kaolinite, which apparently uses the same tile as stockpiles, but used as a layover on the wall.  I'm considering setting up a single tile to use for all stones and changing it in the raws, but I don't really have the time right now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:53:02 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:26 am »

Very nice castle, I especially like the symmetry of the whole place.
(Most of my forts end up as huge unorganized messes and don't beat yourself up too badly about the edge).

Question: How many dwarfs total do you have now and how many more do you expect? You could expand upon the road towers and set up guard towers at strategic points on the map connected underground. Or do it the most ridiculous dwarven way and set up your own private castle in the middle of an artificial lake.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:30:00 am »

Very nice castle, I especially like the symmetry of the whole place.
(Most of my forts end up as huge unorganized messes and don't beat yourself up too badly about the edge).

Question: How many dwarfs total do you have now and how many more do you expect? You could expand upon the road towers and set up guard towers at strategic points on the map connected underground. Or do it the most ridiculous dwarven way and set up your own private castle in the middle of an artificial lake.

I've currently got about 40.  I capped it for the last year, as I couldn't keep up with the inflow of immigrants.  Now that I have some hold on how I'm going to proceed, I'll probably get a few massive immigrant waves, to make up for lost time.  With my luck, they'll all be soap makers or something else equally useless. 

I plan to build more guard towers alng the road, and I love the second idea... I may do that just to make sure I have wood, plants and such if the fortress is besieged to the extent that I have to raise the bridge.

Thanks! 

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:45:11 am »

UPDATE:

I uncapped the population, and have left it that way for a year so far.  I've had surprisingly few (15) immigrants, all things considered.  That being said, a lot happened, and a lot got done.

Start of Year 5

New Pictures!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably the biggest changes is the completion of the road, and four towers along it.  while they are mostly evenly spaced, the last one is actually one tile too close, as the game wouldn't let me build it any closer to the edge than it already is.

My next plan is to connect the towers to the castle and each other via a long walkway/wall, that would both provide above-ground access to the towers, and control the wagon's entry point, allowing me to defend it easier.  I am considering placing doors through the walls, so my dwarves can still have reasonable access to the wood I need for fuel.

If too many more goblins come I may just build the dang thing out of iron to get rid of some of the stuff...

Any further advice is very welcome.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:47:38 am »

ooh! make an underground road to connect the towers!

make a giant tree out of wood and put cloth ropes all over it, so you can pretend its a weeping willow or something!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »

ooh! make an underground road to connect the towers!

make a giant tree out of wood and put cloth ropes all over it, so you can pretend its a weeping willow or something!

Um... there's already an underground road connecting the towers.

Definately a cool mega-project idea, although I'm not quite sure how to go about it, I may try!

Chasted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »

Wall off every other map entry point other than the road (And maybe create a wall along the road as well)

Force the road to be used by enemies and allies alike!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:37 pm »

Wall off every other map entry point other than the road (And maybe create a wall along the road as well)

Force the road to be used by enemies and allies alike!

I am planning a wall along the road, probably from the middle of each tower to the middle of the next.  I can't build constructions all the way to the edge (or is there a way around this?), so forcing a precise entry point is difficult, but I can at least control most of the path they have to take.  On the other hand, I still want my dwarves to have access to the trees and plants outside the walls, so I'm considering putting doors in the walls, but making the passages through the wall like airlocks, so I can trap invaders in, and surround the room with my dwarves before unlocking the doors.

Chasted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »

What about those invaders that can destroy doors?

Create the wall as far as you are allowed and surround the zone, it will still have the same effect as forcing their spawn point - Just means some things might be delayed depending on where they spawn.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »

What about those invaders that can destroy doors?

Create the wall as far as you are allowed and surround the zone, it will still have the same effect as forcing their spawn point - Just means some things might be delayed depending on where they spawn.
I love the second sugestion, and plan on working on that once the walls are done, but in the mean time I think I may try to get some extra temporary wood cutters out there long enough to get a massive amount of wood stored up, so I have less reason for them to be wandering around outside in the mean time.

Unfortunately, I kinda need the doors in the walls, so that it doesn't take too long to get to the trees, as I need the wood, both for fuel, and for cnostruction.

So far the plan for the walls is to have a double wall, with one tile of open space between them.  The open space will be covered with wooden floors on the upper level to allow later building of fortifications along the sides.  I've just dealt with two goblin ambushes.  Fortunately,my only losses were a few dogs, as I was tipped off by both the dogs, and the dropping frame rate.  At the same time I got some new migrants, including the dungeon master, and the elves showed up to trade.  Both goblin squads were headed by dwarves, one died, the other got away, but all the goblins died.  I'm working on some less-than-glorious tombs (read: holes in the walls where it's most convenient) for my corrupt fallen brethren.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »

Very nice, you should post the 3d pics in the 3D art thread over in General Discussion
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 05:59:58 am »

Very nice, you should post the 3d pics in the 3D art thread over in General Discussion
I may just, but I'll probably try to finish the walls between the towers first.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 06:26:52 am »

make an aztek temple with level flowing from the 4 passages up there(the stairs in real-life) it shoul not be too hard.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: [1] 2 3