Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anyone else...?  (Read 1958 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone else...?
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

Have difficulty playing dwarf fortress so close to a new release? I find myself saying "Why bother mastering THIS set of gameplay mechanics when new and better ones will be coming soon? I think I'll just drool over the enhanced medical system for a bit while I wait."
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else...?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:04:30 pm »

For me, the upcoming release still doesn't feel all that soon.  I suppose that's a subjective thing, but it might be partially behind some people's willingness to continue playing when you feel that doing so is somewhat difficult psychologically.  Just a guess.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:31:19 pm »

Well, it's also partly that I know myself and how I get along with updates.

Learning an entirely new set of controls is fun; a sideshow to learning entirely new concepts. If I could forget everything I ever knew about dwarf fortress I would; just so I could have it be all new again.

But I find that if it's a considerably different version of the same basic stuff, I get really thrown off. Like if I try to play Halo after CoD; It feels like such a betrayal when I run up to an enemy, pull out a knife, and hit him in the head with a grenade. Or when I rely on a particular ingame trick and then note that they've changed it such that that tactic is completely idiotic now.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »

Haha, everytime I play an FPS after playing any Valve game, I always end up looking damn stupid.

Like say... instead of switching my empty pistol with a submachinegun, I lean to the left. (button Q)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:30 pm »

Yes, but a bigger problem is not wanting to play much when the next release is going to be both a) major and b) save breaking.

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »

I want to start playing DF again but I don't want to be in the middle of a fortress when the new version comes out.

But then I thought the new version would come out in February... it didn't.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:55 pm »

Actually, my biggest concern that's preventing me from playing is that I know once I start, I have to rewrite all my mods (even if they aren't very popular) since I like to play with them. That would mean I would have to learn all the new stuff we have to do as well as what we can't do any more. I haven't updated mine in awhile, so it's a bit troubling...

I'll probably resume when the new version is out and I can finally release my compendium of 1000 monsters. Sort of like a Pandora's box of challenges for adventurer mode. I work on that one on and off and usually just put notes for monsters that I can't do yet.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:17:02 am »

Have difficulty playing dwarf fortress so close to a new release? I find myself saying "Why bother mastering THIS set of gameplay mechanics when new and better ones will be coming soon? I think I'll just drool over the enhanced medical system for a bit while I wait."

Yep, here is the proof!:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32306.0
 :D

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:23 am »

I actually find myself playing more Dwarf-Excel than Dwarf Fortress anytime something major that will break my tolerance of the world comes up. The Army Arc history did it. The incompatible save files is doing it. I'm still waiting for my Signature before I go on and start playing massive amounts of Adventure mode.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »

On the contrary, I find this time to be a great opportunity to experiment with myriad construction ideas.  Answer questions like, "Does the length of a drawbridge affect how far it can launch a kitten?" or "if a drawbridge simply retracts, will people standing on it get dragged to one side or plummet downwards?"

Note: it also applies to non-drawbridge questions/ideas.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »

Hah, yes. I haven't played for months because I want to lose my skill by the time the new DF is released so it will be a challenge. Also, I don't want to get bored of DF just before a new release.

Oh god I'm itching to play Dwarf Fortress.... I'M ITCHING INSIDE MY EYES AUUUUGH I GOTTA DWARF THE AXE DWAAAAARF_AFAKSO)la
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »

Oh god I'm itching to play Dwarf Fortress.... I'M ITCHING INSIDE MY EYES AUUUUGH I GOTTA DWARF THE AXE DWAAAAARF_AFAKSO)la

Yeah pretty much this.

Besides, its going to be FOREVER untill the new version comes out. I'm guessing like, 2045 will be a liberal estimate.

So might as well start a fort, play it out to the fullest, send aventurers in there and build another fort after that.

There is absolutely no reason to think you could play a fortress as long as its going to take for this next release to come out.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:19 pm »

so will the next version be save-compatible? if not, I'll wait to DL it until Fencedcurl is complete.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:02:33 pm »

so will the next version be save-compatible?
I doubt it. Toady is changing so much, it would be impossible to transfer old data over to the new system.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:39 am »

Yeah, Toady mentioned a bit early on that there'd be a save compatibility break.

Personally (And I've said this in another thread), I'm using the waiting time to explore the game.  Only a couple of my forts have had any significant nobles and never the king, I've only been besieged once, I only breached HFS once with a throwaway party designed strictly for digging...

If I can find a 1x2 with a brook and HFS, I'll be set for a seriously legit try.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: [1] 2