Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31831 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:28 am »

Good morning!

There will be 11 different tiles for soil/rock/mineral/ore use, so I couldn't use the standard set and expect it to look decent. Since I already had to hack up the set, it only made sense to do the job properly and make the best set I could, by stealing the good bits from everybody else.

Right now I'm working on the data. I've got all the relevant vanilla raws imported into my spreadsheet, and have two more steps to do on that. Transcribe all my current changes (including adding new stuff), and then modify all that data to use the new tile information correctly (including setting colors).

After that I just have to do a quick run-through and update the vermin and stuff, then run a test game or two to check that all the pointers are working right, and that the tiles actually look decent in play (and mod as necessary).

It'll be nice to actually get to PLAY again in a bit...all this data-crunching is wearing me out.

Rochndil, who is not a very good data-ape...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 09:15:32 am »

Good morning.

Just a quick update. I've started merging in the Molten Rocks data, and also adding densities to all the rocks, minerals, etc. That's been going well (if a bit slow), but Mr. Murphy has thrown a sabot into the mill. My PC's C: drive has developed a bad spot (probably a corrupted sector) that causes a reboot every time it's read. SO, obviously I need to do some work. I've acquired a somewhat better box currently suffering from (I hope) a fairly minor problem. I'll be building up a replacement over the next few days, and assuming all goes well I hope to be working again by the weekend, if not sooner.

Rochndil, who hopes that the install goes well, and he doesn't have to rebuild again any time soon...

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:32 am »

Any chance of a 9x9 diagonal walls tileset?

Alternatively, list which tiles are different, and I'll modify the one I have.(and upload it.)  I like having a lot of tiles onscreen at a time, but I also really like the diagonal walls.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 12:25:58 pm »

*Pokes head in*

Hmm. Interesting stuff going on here. Why would a mineral mod want its own tileset though?

Also, I do have osmium and iridium in my mod (and osmiridium and iridiosmium, though under different (and awful) names), as well as peat fuel and a certain ceramic byproduct from pig iron and steel smelting that could be reasonably passed off as slag. Just sayin'. ;)

Keep up the good work though, realistic mods are always welcome.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 12:44:44 pm »

Any chance of a 9x9 diagonal walls tileset?

Good afternoon!

I'm DEFINITELY not a tileset artist, so creating a 9x9 diagonal tileset is far beyond my capabilities. However, there are very talented folks hereabouts, so it's possible someone could help you with that. As far as which tiles were changed, the short answer is MANY. There will be a document included with the distribution of my mod detailing all the changes, but I'm not quite that far along yet.

Rochndil, who will be offline for a bit building up a new PC...

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 12:56:49 pm »

Hmm. Interesting stuff going on here. Why would a mineral mod want its own tileset though?

Also, I do have osmium and iridium in my mod (and osmiridium and iridiosmium, though under different (and awful) names), as well as peat fuel and a certain ceramic byproduct from pig iron and steel smelting that could be reasonably passed off as slag. Just sayin'. ;)

Good afternoon!

I'm very familiar with your excellent mod, Sean. I used it as a base for my own, and documented the specific inclusions in detail. There were a few areas where I disagreed with your implementation, however, and either felt that other modders (such as Deej) came closer to my own vision, or that I needed to take care of things myself. This is in no way to diminish your ground-breaking (pun intended) work. I started this mod mainly for my own use, so there were a number of things I just wanted to get done MY way.

That said, once the beast is all finished and posted, I'm happy to let folks pick it apart, re-jigger it, and swap it all around for their own purposes. The only concern I have is that proper credit be given to the original creators of the various pieces I incorporated (as well as the things I actually created myself).

The tileset design is also a personal goal, since I never could find one that entirely suits me. Many come close, but I hope that the one I've cobbled together is as good (and appropriate) as I can manage. Time will tell.

While I'm on a bit of an enforced modding hiatus (PC being rebuilt) I'll be happy to entertain suggestions or comments, though of course I can't guarantee that I'll have the skill or energy to incorporate everything.

Rochndil, who hopes to be back online from home by the weekend...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »

If Modbase was still up-to-date (its code became simply too cluttered and unwieldy to go any further), I'd ask you to make the mod compatible. I'm planning to eventually include the same functions into Fort Knox, so keep a list of all the changes you make.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:50 pm »

I'll just tweak the existing 9x9 diagonal walls tileset.  No worries.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 10:42:04 pm »

Where can I download this?

I was looking to use some of it in my mod DIG DEEPER!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:07 am »

As I understand it, it is not done yet and as such is not available.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 09:38:17 am »

Good morning!

Nope, not done yet, that's why the thread is [WIP] and not [REL] yet. I'm working on it again now, lost some time (about a week) while rebuilding my PC (C: got alzheimer's, started losing data). Just about finished merging in the Molten Rocks data, and adding densities to all the materials. Once that's done all I need to do is set all the tile/color choices for the minerals and see how it actually looks.

I'll keep you posted as progress is made.

Rochndil, plodding slowly onward...

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:17 am »

I don't know if you're already aware of this, but there are tools that can merge files automatically. Works well on the raws, in my experience, as long as the data hasn't been moved too much. (Stuff that's added or removed is no problem, but stuff that's moved is a pain.)

WinMerge is a popular & free example.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 10:07:34 am »

Ooh, I've been looking for something exactly like that!

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:18 am »

Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, they way I'm doing it, merging wouldn't help much. First, I need to open up the relevant source raw file (from Molten Rocks). Then I need to open my raw file(s) (I re-organized all the minerals raws by type), which no longer match the original. Then I need to open up my spreadsheet where I track all the data and changes.

One entry at a time has the relevant data copied from the source to the destination raw, has the density inserted/updated as necessary, and then finally the spreadsheet gets updated to reflect the current data.

It probably COULD be automated, but that's far beyond my feeble coding skills, and since I'm almost done it's not really worth the effort.

At this point, one more full evening will probably finish up this project arc.

Rochndil, building the world stone by stone...

I don't know if you're already aware of this, but there are tools that can merge files automatically. Works well on the raws, in my experience, as long as the data hasn't been moved too much. (Stuff that's added or removed is no problem, but stuff that's moved is a pain.)

WinMerge is a popular & free example.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 12:03:00 pm »

You can still try Modbase. It merges raw files perfectly, and doesn't require much special syntax. You shouldn't try it on your gaming copy of DF though, since it can do funky things with the init file if left untended (like deleting all comments from it).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10