Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does history continue after I start playing?  (Read 1261 times)

Guillaume777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does history continue after I start playing?
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »

Hello,

I played a small fortress for about 5 years. However looking at legends, it seems that during these 5 years nothing happened in the world other than events related directly to my fortress.

Is this intended?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does history continue after I start playing?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:40 pm »

I'm afraid so.  However, you're in luck, because (I think) world gen type events occurring during normal play is supposed to be getting in with one of the next few releases, as part of the Caravan Arc, I think.
Footkerchief or somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also, Welcome to the Forums!
Fefeshnelmargalip

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:46 pm »

I have seen minor instances of fortresses started after an adventurer retired containing engravings detailing that hero's exploits. No "ongoing" history in the rest of the world, though, it seems.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:38:19 am »

Recent experience seem to tell me that history DOES happen while you play your fort, assuming there is something going on.

To sum it up, a race that I modded in had Winter/Spring as their active trading seasons. However, they seemed only to send a caravan in the Winter, and not in the Spring as they should, and there wasn't anything stopping them. No sieges and so on.

So I checked a bit. Note, playing with Civilization Forge, slightly related, because I found out that the civ I was trading with was in war with the Frost Giants. So I figured "maybe that's keeping them from trading normally".

Then last year in the current camp, they didn't show up. At all. So I check the civilization list again. There they are. Then the Frost Giants.

"This land has no important leaders."

So I figure, genocide kept them busy. Up until that point, Frost Giants had one town listed, but not anymore.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:56:44 am »

Maybe I've just never looked hard enough, or had a world with anything interesting happening.  I hope that's the case, because that's a pretty cool story.
Fefeshnelmargalip

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »

I have had the age change during my games both as an adventurer and in fort mode

Went from the golden age to the age of heroes, or something like that.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:32:33 am »

The only history that continues to take place is your local history, wherever your fortress might be. At other locations people don't even die of old age, nor are they killed by rampaging megabeasts anymore.

I tested this purposefully and had one last dwarf from (almost) dead civilization live past 170 years (max dwarven age). And when I ran the worldgen for the same amount of years instead of playing, he was killed by a beast and the civ crumbled into nothing.

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »

I once created a Spirit of Fire adventurer to depopulate the world. When I retired him for a while and started a fortress, the world immediately entered the Age of the Elf. Now I'm busy killing the tree-hugging bastards to see if I can advance the history further.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]