Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crafty/Odd goblin snatcher  (Read 1272 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Crafty/Odd goblin snatcher
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »

So I had made a tower.

Basically it was an outpost, it was the first thing goblins saw as they tried to attack the fortress. A tower sticking out of the ground with no entrance, only fortifications. From there my marksdwarves delivered pointy death to any intruders.

The tower was connected to the fortress through a rather long tunnel, for this reason there was a bed, some food and ammunition in a cellar directly below it. A soldier went on a huge detour to fetch some food and stumbled upon a goblin snatcher in the tunnel.

As the snatcher got his head cut off I started to wonder exactly what was he doing there? There were no children in the tower. Had the goblin...

A) Weaseled his way through the ground-level fortifications and entered the fortress that way? or
B) Entered the fortress and taken the huge detour into the tower for some reason?

Snatchers are only after children. Right? Well there weren't any children there and his bag was empty ... I am stumped I have no idea what that goblin was doing there. I mean they can't press themselves through a bleedin' ARROW HOLE now can they?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: Crafty/Odd goblin snatcher
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:35 pm »

Sounds like a case of an Umxu in Urist's clothing. That dwarf you've known for years, with whom you've shared beers—maybe even married—could be a goblin spy in disguise! They are the same [SIZE], after all.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:54:05 pm »

Sounds like a case of an Umxu in Urist's clothing. That dwarf you've known for years, with whom you've shared beers—maybe even married—could be a goblin spy in disguise! They are the same [SIZE], after all.

Would that mean. If it had a baby, it would lose its disguise and run off with the Baby? 'cos thats a scary thought.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:09:32 am »

How close to the edge of the map was the tower?

I've never had it happen to me, but people have reported sieges magically appearing inside the fortress near the edge of the map. Perhaps the same thing happens sometimes with snatchers and it's just harder to notice?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:36:36 am »

I've never had it happen to me, but people have reported sieges magically appearing inside the fortress near the edge of the map. Perhaps the same thing happens sometimes with snatchers and it's just harder to notice?

I'd say it was about 45 tiles from the nearest edge.. I wanted some time to actually get my marksdwarves into position before the goblins arrived!
I have an art blog now.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »

An update.

A kobold appeared in the same tunnel. When discovered he continued towards the tower but then turned and try to flee through the rest of the fortress.

Now it's not ENTIRELY unlikely that he sneaked in through the fortress and went towards the tower before being discovered. Most dwarves are working elsewhere .. that he turned to run away from the tower proves to me that he didn't enter through it.
So kobolds cannot squeeze through arrow holes. Most likely he was after some good quality bolts I had lying there.

It doesn't explain what the hell that goblin snatcher wanted in the tower though. This must means that goblin snatchers ...
1. can spawn a good distance into the map.
2. can squeeze through arrow holes.
3. have secondary objectives to snatching babies, such as stealing ammunition, food or perhaps sabotage siege equipment (there was a ballista set up in the towers lower level)
4. aren't really that intelligent
5. don't know what your fortress looks like but scouts it out .. which is pretty interesting
I have an art blog now.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:10 pm »

Or they sneek in the fort very quickly, hide somewhere, where are difficult to find, steel food and water and wait until some children are born. You know - Where are males and females and where nights are cold, there ...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:54:43 pm »

Or they sneek in the fort very quickly, hide somewhere, where are difficult to find, steel food and water and wait until some children are born. You know - Where are males and females and where nights are cold, there ...

I don't see why they would wait ... my fortress is incredibly fertile.  89 children!
I have an art blog now.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »

Apparently the bug is that if you have a non-square map, ambushes spawn on the border of the largest square that fits in the center of the map:
Code: [Select]
++++
====
====
====
====
++++

So, if you have a 4x6 embark as above, the 4x4 region in the middle will mark the boundary where ambushes spawn. Anything in the embark squares with the + will be outside the spawn area. 45 tiles being less than the 48 tile embark square size suggests that's probably whats happening here.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »

Martin that sounds reasonable ... does it only affect ambushes and thieves? Because all sieges have appeared on the far sides of the map. Nowhere else.

Also I remembered I had a captive goblin thief and a goblin master thief.. I released them inside of a fortificated area and sure enough they just stand there. Still captives.

Brb. Execution.
I have an art blog now.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 07:39:42 pm »

In my fort I'm playing right now, I had built a large arch over my raising bridge that had ramps up it so you could go the top. I also had a wall built that connected up with the arch, but not in a way that you could get onto the walls from the arch. Except by falling from z-level eight onto the wall walkway at z-level three. Which a goblin master thief did. With a yellow leg wound now, he limps along the walls and stabs my legendary swordsdwarf in the throat, killing him on the spot. He grabs a bracelet off the corpse and limps through my trade depot, over my bridges, and back up the arch. His target? My statue I'd placed at the very tip. Now, I'd given goblins building destroyed, so he went ahead and toppled my statue, then went down and broke my bridge and my road. The sunny side to it? I'd moved literally all building materials outside to build a large castle out front. I had no picks due to a magma based accident. In short, they were trapped. Live long and prosper, Ongu Glaremurder.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:07 pm »

Martin that sounds reasonable ... does it only affect ambushes and thieves? Because all sieges have appeared on the far sides of the map. Nowhere else.

To the best of my knowledge it only applies to units that sneak. And I don't think it's a confirmed bug, just a theory.