Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46098 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2009, 01:27:24 am »

You could also make a food and booze stockpile halfway to the end of the bridge.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:37 pm »

Yeah. Make a waystation halfway across the bridge. No wait, make a small fortress in the middle of the bridge. Complete with farms, a still and a kitchen for the workers, workshops to produce the materials for the bridge, et cetera.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

Holy crap, the Boltcatcher actually survived longer than our marksdwarf?
Woooow.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:51 pm »

Yeah. Make a waystation halfway across the bridge. No wait, make a small fortress in the middle of the bridge. Complete with farms, a still and a kitchen for the workers, workshops to produce the materials for the bridge, et cetera.
Technically, if you have magma, you could make a muddy obsidian island...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 25, 2009, 12:09:14 am »

It would be nice to have magma. It would be so, so nice.

Woooow.

I think it's obvious. The more stupid vulnerabilities you give a dwarf, the less likely it is that he will actually die. Now all I need is for someone to request a naked wrestler who spends all of his time outside without food or booze, fighting carp, orcs, and hippos. He'll be invulnerable.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:22 am »

Anyways. No pictures for these, because I plumb forgot to take them.

Events in Greatbridge: Summer and Early Fall.

Keilden and Legon were sitting together in Frea's Bar, as it continued to be called. Neither would have called what they were doing “plotting”, Legon because he knew that by all rights, he should be in charge, and Keilden because he knew damn well that he was in charge. You don't plot when you're charge. You lead.

“The way I see it, Keilden-”

“Captain, if you please!”

“Ok, Captain. So, as long as you and I hold all the alcohol in the fort, I've got a good chance of winning the next election. And that's coming up in a few days. So what I say is, we keep sitting on our little stockpile here. We parcel out a drink here and there to the dwarfs who really like to vote... you know, Mook, Erith, and the rest. We complain about shortages, mention that if Solon hadn't let our best brewer-”

“Your wife, right?”

“Yeah, right. Anyway, if she hadn't let Frea get killed, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. Listen, half the fort hasn't had a drink in weeks. They're desperate. We can ruin her with this.”

Keilden looked thoughtful for a moment. “Yeah, I like that. And after we've beat her, why, Solon will practically be a war criminal, right? Getting all those people killed and all? She'll probably need to be locked up, or even executed, right?

“See, I'd leave that in the hands of my Captain of the Guard. He's in charge of justice, here. I'm sure he would make the right decision.”

Keilden grinned. “He fuckin' would, wouldn't he? He'd know just what to do with the criminal scum around here.” He raised his glass. “Cheers, Mayor to be.”

“Cheers, Capt-”

There was a sudden clattering at the door. Grath rushed in, looking out of breath but excited. “You wouldn't believe it! Human merchants! They just got here, and Solon's already bought something like thirty barrels of booze off've them!” He bolted back up the stairs, shouting, “Got to go! It's like huge party up there! She's the hero of the hour, by gods!”

There was a moment of silence between the two. Finally, Keilden spoke. "Well, at least I'm still the law around here. Don't know what you're going to do." Legon said nothing.

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Limestone the 20th, 208.

Well, despite everything, the fort holds together. I was reelected as mayor, which was good to hear. And every day, (well, week) we get closer to the opposite shore. You know, home. The land I was born in. In a month or so, we'll be able to walk there. Do I want to? Do I want a direct channel to the King?

I... I'm going to finish this damn bridge, is what I'm going to do.

Well, the King's emissaries get here anyway, by ship as always. And the usual insane letter: “Solon! The weather continues fine. My petunias are in full bloom, and one just chased me round the pig tail bush! I just thought that perhaps you should add a small bridge that floats, unsupported, wandering about in the ether! Consider it, old boy! Also, my cigars demand brass cases. The pure steel cases I use are simply not strong enough to hold them back! Best wishes, and all my love to Pamela,

- Mad King Onul”

I've got no intent of even thinking about starting a fourth “bridge”. Hell, he hasn't had me executed for failing to produce the others. Why would he start now? The cigar cases... we can manage. Maybe. I'll put out a mandate, or something.

Have to find out what a cigar is too.

Anyway, even better news. The king's merchants brought even more alcohol. That leaves the mayor's, IE, my, stockpile at 956 units, and Legon and Keilden's at 23. Thank you Inaluct for that information, though why you refer to a pint of beer as a “unit” is still beyond me.

Elsewhere:

Meanwhile, Moron was growing increasingly desperate. Every year, he sent his report to the king, describing the disasters that had befallen the fort, and what the king could (hopefully) do to rectify them. And every year the answer came back: "What wonderful news! Tell me, have you tried scrubbing it out?" Moron was sure of two things. One: That probably wasn't code for anything he needed to know. And two: being a spy for a mad king was exactly what it was cracked up to be.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:26 pm »

It would be nice to have magma. It would be so, so nice.

Woooow.

I think it's obvious. The more stupid vulnerabilities you give a dwarf, the less likely it is that he will actually die. Now all I need is for someone to request a naked wrestler who spends all of his time outside without food or booze, fighting carp, orcs, and hippos. He'll be invulnerable.

Haha might I have said dwarf? Call him Sir Roderick.

Incoherent

• Escaped Lunatic
  • ™£¢∞§¶•ªº–≠º–≠œ∑∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘‘«åßß∂ƒ©ƒ˙∆˚∆¬…æ
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 06, 2009, 03:05:49 am »

What's this? A flying Fishy?  ::)
Can't wait to see what happens next!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »

Heh.  I like it when bad, non-lethal things happen to that jerk of mine.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 07, 2009, 06:56:08 am »

Oh no, Jurgen's dead!
Now who's going to supply the intellectual arrogance?

If there are any dwarves untaken, or if the fort survives and gets migrants, I'd like to request another dwarf, please.

Name: Sigmund
Profession: Architect, mason and historian
Description:
Sigmund is the most respected archaeologist in all the dwarven lands, much to the vexation of his uncle, Jurgen. He is just as abrasive and arrogant, and even more overpoweringly clever than poor Jurgen. upon hearing his uncle had died, he immediately decided to go to his place of death and nick all of Jurgen's work for himself, after a suitable period of artificial mourning.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 07, 2009, 11:03:12 pm »

I'm dead?  Did I at least put up a fight?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2009, 09:08:37 pm »

I died. Then my computer died. But then I came back to life, and I salvaged the sad remnants. This fortress will continue, and that bridge will be built.

Remalle, you died instantly. They lopped off your head, and that was that.

More, as I always say, later.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:13 pm »

Huzzah!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2009, 02:03:13 am »

(ok time to get rolling. Where doing this, man. Where making this happen.)

From the Records of Inaluct, Officious Secretary of Greatbridge

A new applicant for the military today. “Sir” Roderick. Says he plans to strip down, paint himself blue, and charge at the orcs “bearing only his hands, feet, teeth, iron will, and awesome nudity”. Have already selected and placed his tomb.

Also, dwarf calling himself Sigmund has requested Jurgen's old office, access to his journals. Said he was a nephew, seemed surprised I didn't recognized him. Why did he just announce this now? Seems like the easiest way to get your relatives interested in you is to die.

(Ok, so a slow start. Next! actual events.)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:34 pm »

And by events, you mean that dwarves will die, right? That always seems to be what events mean with this fort.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28