Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46154 times)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »

So your actually going to sacrifice me? Awesome!
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2009, 08:00:19 pm »

The underground bridge should be a huge open area with a tiny twisty trapped catwalk of doom. Somehow, parts of it should be able to be dropped into the depths.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2009, 08:04:32 pm »

The underground bridge should be a huge open area with a tiny twisty trapped catwalk of doom. Somehow, parts of it should be able to be dropped into the depths.

"urist, are you sure this is safe?"

"completly! i know this place like tha back of my ha-"

*KA-THOONK!*

"-aaaaaaaaandddddd!..........." *falls into oblivion*

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:53 am »

Anriz the god of rainbow demands that his/her(?) part of the temple is rainbow colored. How do I know that? Well I am the law and that is my god.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06:18 am »

Events During Granite, 206. Part One

Greatbridge was buzzing with conversation these days, for a wide variety of reasons. Aside from the election of a new mayor and the opening of yet another construction project, there was always the bed shortage to talk about, the booze shortage to bitch about, and the fact that Olon had seen Kivish and Titoo out together by the iron tower, doing Anriz knows what, and well, you know...

That and the fact that the King's messenger had arrived with the fall caravan. Solon and Frea had been in the main office for quite some time now, and bets were being taken on which one, if any, would come out alive.

Meanwhile, Rysith, Aban, Geshud, and Cain were “out on patrol”. These days, patrol consisted of wandering around the outdoor compound, poking at various bushes in the vain hope that something kill-able would hop out. It was the lack of alcohol that concerned them the most, despite the fact they weren't allowed any booze while patrolling. But as Aban would have said, “Rules are made to be shattered into one thousand pieces, melted down, and reformed into whatever obscene shape you like.”

In short, they were drunk, worried that they might not be able to stay drunk, and almost completely surprised when the goblins sprung out of ambush right in front of the front gate.

Rysith was, of course, over the bridge first, crying out “You are all going to die in no uncertain manner!” Naturally, by the time he reached the battlefield the caravan guards had already dispatched  the goblins, settled back down, and started playing a hand of euchre. It was perhaps the least exciting ambush in living memory.

Aban glanced over at Geshud, and shrugged. “He'll get it one of these days, man.”

“Hey, I didn't say a thing.”

“You were thinkin' it, though. Hmm...” Aban paused and looked thoughtful for a moment. “Say, Geshud...”

“Yeah?”

“When you look up at the Ozor Temple, does it look like there's some people up there? You know, up on that little bridge thing there?”

Geshud peered over to where she was pointing. “Yeah, man, you might be right. Looks like a big guy and some little guy. Probably building something or other.”

“Yeah, probably.”

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »

Rysith was, of course, over the bridge first, crying out “You are all going to die in no uncertain manner!” Naturally, by the time he reached the battlefield the caravan guards had already dispatched  the goblins, settled back down, and started playing a hand of euchre.

At least I was right!
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2009, 10:46:00 am »

So your actually going to sacrifice me? Awesome!
I can advise on many kinds of sacrifice!
Most of Archaeology seems to bee people sacrificing people.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2009, 04:19:39 pm »

So, before I thought that when a drawbridge was lifted, it would launch anyone standing on it skyward. And it does!

But! Apparently, it can also crush them at the same time. Huh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More details after I eat some god damn dinner.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:19 pm »

Events of Granite, 206: Part Two

Solon was up the stairs and onto the rickety framework of Ozor's as fast as dwarvenly possible. (not terribly fast). Atis, Kat, and Erith were already there. Solon couldn't help noticing that Kat was standing upon what looked like slate stone drawbridge. This was worrying.

“Damn it, Erith, just what the hell do you think you're doing?”

“Preparing a glorious offering to Ozor, Lord of Dreams! And I'm quite glad you could make it here to see, Solon! Ozor is quite pleased!”

“What? Wait, when did I say you could do anything like this? I didn't even want you to build this... thing!”

“You did not! But Frea gave me permission to complete the temple! And so here we are, preparing an offering for Ozor, Lord of Dreams! As I said!”

Atis looked puzzled by the whole exchange. “Hey, guys, do you really need me up here? It's a good view, but I should be down with Teach training-”

Solon began edge towards Erith, taking care to avoid stepping on the bridge itself. “Um, ok Erith, let's not do this-”

“Solon...”

“I mean, it's not like Kat here is even a worshiper of Ozor... That's hardly appropriate, right? Just step away from that, uh, lever... that I'm sure you have behind you there-”

“Solon! Solon!”

“What?!”

“The lever is in the basement, Solon.”

There was a sudden, violent pok.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2009, 07:42:37 am »

"What's that?  Kat dead?  And you're telling me this . . . why?  Oh, you think I care.  Nope."

OOC:  I love this story.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2009, 01:34:56 pm »

Events of Granite, 206: Part Three

Keilden slept fitfully, dreaming of happier times, of his days in the mountainhomes. Back when, thanks to the mad king's whims, not a day passed without a mandated beating or execution. Days when he was free to practice JUSTICE. Nothing like this irritating (seemingly) law-abiding hellhole...

“Captain! Captain! Wake up! It's Alath, Atis's husband! He just attacked some farmer, and now he's in the storage room, throwing bolts at anyone who comes near him! You've got to-”

“At last!” Keilden roared, leaping out of his bed (and backhanding the messenger through the door for good measure) “A call for JUSTICE!”

By the time he swaggered in to the storeroom, Alath had calmed down considerably, and was in fact sitting on the floor with his head in his hands. A nice try, Keilden thought. Pity I can see right through that innocent act. “On your feet, man. You are hereby charged with disorderly conduct and destruction of property. The sentence is normally imprisonment, but considering we still don't have a fucking jail, I'm just going to kick th' shit out of you instead. And after that, I'm going on break, so you can haul your own ass to the barracks to recover.” He smiled. “If you can...”

Ah, dwarven justice. There was nothing quite like it in the world.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Slate the 6th 206

Well, it was a busy month. Hahaha, and by that, I mean it was the month from hell.

I'm still not sure just what happened up on the tower. I do know that Atis and Kat were somehow crushed in between the gears of the drawbridge. I know that Atis's daughter Kikrost was also on the bridge, and that she fell three stories, breaking both legs. I know that Erith is only unhappy because neither of them “flew to meet Ozor, the Lord of Dreams!”. And I know that Legon thinks the whole thing is a good laugh.

Oh yes... I know a lot of things.

In the meantime, I've got other stuff to deal with. Frea refused to let me see the kings message (even though it was addressed to me), but apparently he's not pleased at our progress. We've spent too much time fighting orcs, and “why are we doing that anyway, I sent you over here to make friends and frolic in the tulips with them”. Anyway, that means orders for charcoal, stone blocks by the dozen, and lots more iron. And I get to handle them all. What fun.

(note: the main body of the bridge is being built too, and has almost caught up with that part, but I keep running out of stone blocks, and the aquifer isn't helping. Any advice?)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »

The Notes of Jurgen, Archaeologist. 21st of Sandstone, 206

There's been a great deal of fuss up above regarding the recent unpleasant events, some of it even reaching my small office. Not worth it, I feel. These religious types will follow their gods through a whole spectrum of idiocies, and it's a fool who expects them to act any differently. I have other concerns.

Frea has seen fit to grant my request for a limited exploratory dig, over in the small eastern valley, though frankly, I could have used a better set of assistants than the few who have been offered to me. Renna is a fine dwarf with many positive qualitities, but subtlety and finesse are not among them. And what can be said about Red Fortune and Pokpokpok other than... I'll hold my tongue here. “What can be said”, indeed. Ms Fortune, at least, is pleased at the prospect of finding ancient bones and burial chambers, though on the off-chance we did find such things, I cannot imagine them surviving the experience with her.

Still, we are on the great journey now, however it may end. It's a long and difficult road to knowledge, and one should not be surprised that most dwarfs take one look at said road, shrug, and head off to the tavern for a drink instead.

(Next! What will Jurgen find? Artifacts? Bones? Nothing at all? PS, it is the last one.)

Faylone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:40 am »

I think drawbridges will crush anything that is on a tile that becomes like a wall

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2009, 06:16:59 am »

At the very least, we'll find some 3rd century Orcish Sandcastles.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28