Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46169 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:24 am »

Ah, the timeless tradition of using a baby as a shield.
Truly, we dwarves are the greatest of races.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:03 am »

(Yeah, Frea and Legon are both ecstatic. Sure, they lost a kid, but... "Have you seen this door? It's amazing!")

In the meantime:

“Hey, Wardbridges, we got migrants. Why don't you get upstairs and do your job already?”

“Oh! Uh, Legon... Um... Listen, I'm sorry about what happened to Lokum”

“Who? Oh, the kid. Yeah, whatever. We have a spare. You gonna get up there and deal with this shit or not?”

Migrants: An Inaluct Report

We have:
5 peasants
2 fishers
3 craftsdwarfs
6 farmers
1 pump operator
1 animal caretaker
1 engraver
1 recruit

The recruit is named Titoo. No skills, wants to be a wrestler.

A buffet of uselessness. Something is up here.

Events on the Twentieth of Slate, 206

Considering the large number of new (and confused) migrants arriving, Solon had decided that it was as good a time as any to have a fortress-wide meeting. Now she stood in the main hall, with Inaluct at her side, listening to the self declared leader of the migrants, Bembul Lenslands, drone on about something or other.

He appeared to be finishing up. “And so, it is with great anticipation that we have arrived in the colony of Greatbridge. We thank you for preparing this resort and spa for us, and if you could just show us to our rooms-

“Wait, resort and spa? What the hell are you talking about?”

For the first time the Bembul looked uncertain. “This... this is a resort, correct? The king clearly explained it to me. He said “I know this little out of the way place by the ocean, it's wonderfully relaxing. Fresh air, the sea breeze, friendly natives, and- Why are you laughing at me?” This was directed at Solon.

“Oh, it's nothing, nothing. A private joke. You'll understand soon.” She looked at him reflectively. “Tell me, how good are you with a sword?”

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:17 pm »

Certainly, the place is healthy.
It's just an orcish axe to the chest that's bad for you.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2009, 12:24:18 pm »

I'd like the pump operator please. Name him Blorg and give him an axe.

Shizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Last as long as you can Monkey boy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »

Could I get the engraver name it "Shiz" also wouldn't mind being a Marksdwarf in it spare time. So I can engrave our epic battle with the orc hordes.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »

Everytime I see a dwarf with the name Lokum, I start snickering. Because Lokum means toilet in Danish.

"Its Toilet McDwarf!"

Hee...
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »

I'd like the pump operator please. Name him Blorg and give him an axe.
Could I get the engraver name it "Shiz" also wouldn't mind being a Marksdwarf in it spare time. So I can engrave our epic battle with the orc hordes.

Done and done. I will put the profiles up later when I am not drinking beers.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2009, 01:19:43 am »

Aha! He raised his axe over his head and screamed “AXE ME IF I CARE!” (still needed work), while charging into the fray blindly.
This is hilarious.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2009, 10:06:21 pm »

(Oh yeah, this thing! Forgot about this. It's been a long... several days. A short entry for now.)

Inaluct's Record:

Two more for the mob. Think the nicknames these guys choose are starting to get to me. Suppose it's better than “Whip Chainedlash”. Shiz's real name, there.

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, 21st of Felsite, 206

Apparently I'm the mayor now! I know this because one of the newer migrants came into my office asking for “the mayor's assistance”, and after a bit of confusion, I realized he meant me. Of course, it's all for show. I can't imagine our wonderful king allowing any real vestige of democracy, unless he thought it would be funny to do so. I won't let it get to my head.

Still, I could use a nicer office. And a dining room! Oh and crowns! Got to have a few crowns!

(I think Solon is getting ambitious.)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2009, 11:54:13 am »

Solon put down her pencil and sighed, something she'd been doing a lot lately. Even with Inaluct as her official secretary, she still had to handle a hell of a lot of paperwork. Days like today, it just didn't seem worth it. So much to deal with... there was a serious bed shortage, and most of the new migrants were sleeping on the floor of the barracks.

This in turn was frustrating the soldiers, who were trying to spar, and kept tripping over sleeping dwarfs. She'd tried to convince them that it made for better training, as they'd probably be tripping over some random herbalist's body on the battlefield, but they weren't buying it.

As she started to draft an order for a dozen or so beds, one of said new migrants (the woodcrafter, Monom), dashed into the room, yelling at the top of his lungs.

“Orcs! Orcs coming from... everywhere! Hundreds of them! Maybe even fifty! We're going to die!”

“Finally! What a relief!” Ignoring Monom's shocked expression, she continued. “Get me... let's see. Teach, Inaluct, and Legon. It's time for The Plan!”

Monom looked puzzled. “Uhhh... who?”

“Gods. Um, get me the big guy with the crossbow, the dwarf who registered you, and the asshole. Got that?”

“Oh, them! Right, got it!”

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »

the big guy with the crossbow, the dwarf who registered you, and the asshole. Got that?”

“Oh, them! Right, got it!”

awsomeness!  ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2009, 05:20:37 pm »

The portrayal of the characters in this story is wonderful.
Those last two lines make me laugh every time I look at them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2009, 12:56:27 am »

Cain began to stretch as word of the siege filtered through the barracks.

Finally, I'll be able to test my training. She thought with a smile.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »

(This would have been up sooner, had I not had a terrible revelation: I can't write a good action sequence! Please accept this instead.)

The Plan, as explained by Teach:

Mobilize the Citizens Brigade

Head to the walls, and shoot until there ain't nothing left to shoot.

If that doesn't work, open up the back entrance, invite the orcs in for tea and impalings.

Fightin' if necessary.

Siege should be broken by now.

Head to the dining room for beer and waffles.

The first phase of the siege went pretty much the same way that the last two or three had. Teach and his squad went to the walls, peppered the orcs with bolts, and managed to wipe out a squad and it's leader. This time it was Renna who claimed that honor. And, as usual, the orcs stubbornly refused to leave.

That was when phase two went into effect. First, it was Inaluct's job to draw the orcs into the narrow tunnel that Solon had fled to so many years ago. She accomplished this by digging around the channel, running to the entrance, and hopping up and down shouting random curses at them. Not subtle, but quite effective. The orcs charged after her as she fled back into the tunnel, the spearmaster Thisot Bindbad close behind her. They were promtly met by the impalings, but tea was in short supply these days.

Rysith roared into the fray and promptly had his knee snapped by the butt of Thisot Bindbad's spear. The massive orc stood over him, preparing to finish the job, and likely would have if Aban hadn't smashed his face to a pulp (followed by his neck, spine, stomach, and legs).

Teach stood at the far end of the tunnel, firing aimlessly into the writhing mass and somehow managing to only hit orcs. When Solon asked, (or screamed towards him) “What the hell are you doing?!” He simply answered, “Bustedlung knows who to kill.” Somewhat disturbing, but it was hard to fault his accuracy.

Cain proved herself to be actually worth the price of the sword she was using, killing her first orc there in the hall. Of course, the sword had been free, taken from an orc's body in one of the earlier sieges, so she wasn't worth much. But damn it, she was still worth more than Rysith.

For a few moments, it looked as though the orcs would break through, but soon Teach was joined by the rest of the squad. The combination of unerring crossbow fire, the solid dwarfy wall presented by Aban and Geshud, and (Solon though privately), the irritating and constant pok-ing sounds proved to be too much. The orcs, for the first time in five years, broke and fled.

In the end, astonishingly, not a single dwarf had died in the battle. Rysith and Baltiel had both had a leg broken, and Bembul was down with an unpleasant head wound, but otherwise they were casualty free. (Though Rysith couldn't stop looking out for Aban whenever she walked by, that only marked him as a casualty... of love.)

It really was amazing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »

Holy cow. if things ever get under control, ban the use of all non-artifact crossbows. There seems to be no challenge anymore.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28