Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46174 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2009, 07:40:27 am »

Pok-pok how many?! How many die to pok-pok when go pok-pok wit a da crossabow?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2009, 07:44:33 am »

I keep telling you, archaeology is where you dig up things that have been dead a long time!
No, a long time is not a week!
Who's idea was it to send me here?
The king? Explains it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2009, 01:34:27 pm »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, 13th of Limestone, 205

Well, despite everything, we failed. The orcs only left when they were good and ready, so it looks like no supplies for us again. It's a good indication of how desperate we're all feeling when we actually want to hear from our wonderful king.

Still, I've been talking to Teach, Legon, and Inaluct, and I think we've got a plan for the next time. A plan involving spikes, levers and a whole hell of a lot more bolts. I'll probably be unable to prevent a certain someone from making those levers make a certain sound that I won't repeat, but I'm resigned to that by now.

I've also sent Rysith and Baltiel out to kill some horses. Damn horses were prancing around with the orcs like they were best friends. This ought to teach them.

(Note: Teach's actual name is Meng Slaughterschamber the Helmed Relief. How do I keep getting these names?)

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, 15th of Limestone, 205

Well, all right. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

(oh, and end of siege report time. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but Atis killed six orcs, Pokpok-whatever and some gem cutter killed three apiece, and Teach and Bustedlung killed 19, including Incestspattered. So that's... 31 or so.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2009, 01:38:01 pm »

Nice.  Not bad for a young fort.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »

Bu..bu... no kills for Pok-pok?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2009, 03:01:23 pm »

Bu..bu... no kills for Pok-pok?

Pok has three kills.

Meanwhile:
The caravan had arrived safely and anvils had been purchased, but that was a long way from making everything all right. Solon knew this perhaps better than anyone. In her hand she held a small envelope, handed to her by the king's liason. She sighed. No use putting off the inevitable.

Inside, the note read:

My dearest Solon! My closest advisers have informed me that the last of my several missives have failed to reach you! Truly, I find it difficult to comprehend how you must feel, having so long been without the wonderful words of your famously mad monarch. But fear not! As sure as magnolias and snails blossom in the spring, so shall I send you new orders for advancing my glory!

It has come to my mind that, while a bridge crossing the ocean is fairly mad, and one going under it is at least moderately mad, there's nothing quite as mad as a bridge going through the ocean! Why, that redefines the very concept of bridge! The mind not only reels, it does cartwheels, somersaults, and performs in a  local gymnastics tournament. Why not give it a try? Well, sadly I must potter off now. These socks are not going to fling themselves about madly without me!

Yours, Mad King Onul.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

I request that my character be requested by the king to sacrifice him/herself in honor of the bridges completion, when it is complete obviously.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »

The king tosses socks?  I bet he just burns through his advisers and guards.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »

From the notes of Jurgen, Archaeologist, 17th Sandstone, 205

I've not been particularly happy since I arrived in this madhouse, and today does not look as though it will improve my mood. Solon proves to be a constant thorn in my side, blocking my requests for a few able bodies dwarfs to help me with an exploratory dig. This is a virgin continent, where dwarf has never set foot before. We have a golden opportunity here to study the artifacts left behind by the orcs and kobolds who inhabit this land, and Solon refuses to see it. I understand that she does not want to have a single dwarf distracted while the orcs are attacking, but we are not always under siege, my dear Solon. Why must every dwarf be busy then? So we can waste them in the building of this idiotic bridge? What I would give for a leader with an ounce of imagination, a mere speck of foresight! I do not claim to be an ivory tower intellectual, but there is more to life life than simply “trying to survive the season”.

A moment, there seems to be a bit of a fuss in the upper levels. This, at least, may be interesting.

And it is! Migrants have arrived, against all expectations. Hmmm... perhaps this will be sufficient cause for Solon to grant me my requests. There's bound to be a few dwarfs that she'll be unable to draft into the doomed army.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2009, 11:16:39 pm »

Teach and Bustedlung killed 19, including Incestspattered.

huzzah!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »

Yay! Migrants!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:21 am »

They also seem to have arrived right in front of a wave.
I noticed that dwarves I have in forts are either grumpy old dwarves or mad mechanics.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2009, 07:06:39 am »

They also seem to have arrived right in front of a wave.
I noticed that dwarves I have in forts are either grumpy old dwarves or mad mechanics.

They are probably all going to drown, as is the fortresses' luck.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:38 am »

Inaluct Records The New Arrivals (It doesn't take long)

Of Note:

Sir Geo, Miner.

New miners always welcome. This one, though... Asked him to dig out some limonite for the bridge. Took him three days to do it. “Checking the supports, boss.” “Need to sharpen my pick, boss.” “Need a drink, can't work on water alone, boss.” Watch this one.

Cain, Glassmaker

Wants to be a swordsdwarf. Sounds fine. And thanks to the anvil, she'll have armor.

Moron, Soapmaker.

Less “of note”, more “annoying,” Didn't even notice this one until he started asking where our bathhouse was. Bathhouse? The ocean is right over there! Why would we need a bathhouse?

Also arrived:

1 fish dissector
1 farmer
1 brewer
1 peasant.

It's a start.

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2009, 10:17:34 am »

Hey, this is actually the first community fort I ever got interested in sufficiently to read it to the present date. If you find a fitting dward, maybe you can put in this one:
Name: Qwick
Profession: Some Melee specialization
Quite confident in his own fighting skills, also likes cooking. Happy when he can combine both.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28