Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46184 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2009, 12:48:38 am »

Or do as above(build a floor above them) then you drop anvils at them, as long as none have any umbrellas they should get splatted.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2009, 04:50:22 pm »

(Working my way up to the actual siege.)

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges: Winter 204 - Spring 205

9th of Obsidian
"Today, Kat has officially become a child. And I get to feel good about it, because both of his parents are still alive. At least, I think they are. Let me check.

Yes, still among the living. Whew!

14th of Obsidian
Frea's got another kid! Also a boy. Unfortunately, this one takes after Legon. I came to see Frea after the birth, to check in and such, and when I leaned in to get a good look at the little fellow, he punched me in the nose! Oh, Frea says it's being just playful, but I know. I know.

Siege ended uneventfully. Teach shot at them until he ran out of bolts, and it had about as much effect on the things as the rain does.

Later

It was a fairly ordinary day in Greatbridge. Solon and Lord Legon were bickering over the latter's tendency to leave stones strewn all over the halls, Jurgen was trying to explain to Teach just why the interestingly shaped rocks he'd been finding all over  were so interesting, and Red Fortune was stalking the halls, muttering about bones and skin. Perfectly ordinary, until she disappeared into a vacant craft workshop.

Shortly after, she emerged bearing a... rather unpleasant little mask, emblazoned with the name, “Doctrineembraced the Beak of Flashing.”

What it meant was anyone's guess.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »

"Orcs! Orcs in the hills!” Solon swore and dropped the stack of charcoal she'd been carrying.

“Okay, who did they kill this time? Oh, and are the gates up yet?”

“Looks like... no one. We've got the gates up in time. Everything's fine, Solon.”

“No, Teach, everything is not fine. That's the... fourth? Fifth time we've been attacked by these things. Every time they stick around just long enough to keep any sort of trade from reaching us, and I'm sick of it. I want news from home. I want an anvil, and some dwarfs who know what to do with one. Damn it, I want to drink something other than prickle berry wine! We need... a plan.”

“A plan?”

“A brilliant plan. Something devious and evil.” Solon paused for a moment. “I've got! Let's build a giant tower, and topple it over on them! And we'll fill that tower with groundhogs!”

“Or we could just shoot them.”

“Come again?”

“Shoot them. We've got a bunch of extra crossbows lying around. Just let me get some likely dwarfs together, and we'll drive them off handily.”

“Oh.” Solon looked almost disappointed for a moment. “Yes, I suppose that works too. Well, get to it.”

(For those people who are suggesting we use iron bolts or anvils or umbrellas, a brief note:)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2009, 05:06:02 pm »

Spike traps can also be effective, they slow the orcs down and disarm them (by impaling their legs and arms) if not kill them outright and so give your dwarves more time to pincushion them.

This, coupled with single-tile corridors (with twists if you're worried about snipers) so that the melee dwarves can engage exactly one orc at a time. Proficient armor/wrestling/shield/weapon with a sword or axe will go through the normal orcs pretty easily as long as they can't be swarmed, and you can easily use floodgates to break them into manageable groups. As an example, check out the northern entrance-bridge-thing in deathquest, which I built to deal with orcs because the military was incompetent or dead.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »

They won't engage just one orc at a time is the problem. All the people can pile up in one square and all still fight. The best it will do is decrease the chances of it.

I see no bridge, anywhere on the north side of that fort.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2009, 10:37:01 pm »

I think we need to recreate the Death Star with a real working magma laser, steel blast doors, ballistae all over it, and thousands of giant war eagles (TIE-Fighters) to defend the skies.

Oh yes, and it should have a jail cell.

Ooh! and two bridges that compact (atomize) trash!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »

I think we need to recreate the Death Star with a real working magma laser, steel blast doors, ballistae all over it, and thousands of giant war eagles (TIE-Fighters) to defend the skies.

and it needs to be above the ground!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »

and it needs to be above the ground!
And it needs to have a small, critical, opening that leads directly to the center of the meeting area! Wait...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »

No, don't wait Eagle.  That's perfect.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »

No, don't wait Eagle.  That's perfect.

no, not yet. it needs to lead into some insane channel of tubing so we can have a destroy-the-world machine ala boatmurdured. but it only kills the orc-half

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2009, 07:03:44 pm »

Sweet, I made a.... Something.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »

Crossbows make pok-ish sounds, right? I volunteer to be on the team.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2009, 07:32:07 pm »

The Fifth Siege of Greatbridge: Shootin' Stuff

“All right, Dwarfs, listen up! Out there, just past that bridge, our enemy waits. Among them is Incestspattered, the foul creature who - all of you stop that giggling right now - the foul creature who slew our friend Dunar. Now, vengeance is at hand. Remember, you only have one mantra now: Kill the orc. No matter where you are, kill the orc. When you-

“Excuse me? Mr. Teach?”

“Yes, Atis. What is it.”

“Just to make sure, I mean, I don't want to mess this up, but I am pointing this crossbow thingy the right way, right?”

“Yes, Atis, that is the right direction. Well done.” Teach drew another deep breath. “As I was saying, your mantra will be-” Suddenly, the bridge's gears began to grind, and daylight flooded the hall. Teach rolled his eyes.. “Oh, forget it. Just shoot in the general direction of the ocean, and try not to kill yourself while doing that.”

Later:
The first battle had been, to Solon's surprise, a massacre.

Incestspattered had fallen almost immediately, dead at the hands of Teach and Bustedlung. Atis Voicedpapers did surprisingly well, killing five orcs on her own, all while carrying her infant son on her back, just next to her quiver. That she hadn't mistaken one for the other during the fighting was, Solon reflected, pretty damn lucky. The last thing she needed was for her soldiers to start flinging babies around.

Meanwhile, by the upper gate:
There were far more orcs out on the fields than even Teach had expected.

Most of the new recruits, Atis excepted, were looking very nervous. He considered trying to raise morale by shouting something like “The thicker the wheat, the easier it is to reap!”, but it'd probably go over everyone's head. He settled on. “Orcs over there. Note that it is the opposite direction of the way we were shooting before. Try to remember that, boys. Now... fire!”

As the dwarfs did just that, and as orcs began to fall all around, Teach himself began to worry. It wasn't just the fact that the creatures still seemed completely unfazed by the heavy fire. It wasn't just the sight of the orc with a bolt through each eye, laughing as if it were a wonderful joke. (Though that wasn't helping) It was the fact that, after losing nearly a third of their number, not a single orc had made any move to run. If it kept up much longer... “Out of bolts over here!” Atis called out.

“Yeah, Same here” Renna said. “Er... what do we do once that happens?”

Teach shrugged. He hadn't quite expected this. “I supppose, now we wait. Can't do much else.” There was a moment of uncomfortable silence.

“Well, I'm going to throw stuff at them,” Atis said. She picked a small rock up and threw it towards the remaining orcs. It made a satisfying ping sound as it bounced off a helmet. “There! It's good to feel useful for once!” Teach sighed, and went down to report to Solon. She wouldn't be too happy about this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2009, 09:34:38 pm »

They didn't run from the thirty thousand armor piercing bolts? Unthinkable!

Anyways, new idea. Bustedlung should be sentient!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:49 am »

Wow, this is actually going well!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28