Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46177 times)

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:06 pm »

does the water go all the way to the bottom zlevel? it could be cool to dig below it and make a secret underground dwarf bridge

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:54 pm »

We could make a bridge through the middle of the ocean! (Not the surface, and not the bottom. The MIDDLE.) And THEN we add floodgates, pumps and supports, allowing any section of the bridge to flood instantly with water and scary fish!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »

We could make a bridge through the middle of the ocean! (Not the surface, and not the bottom. The MIDDLE.) And THEN we add floodgates, pumps and supports, allowing any section of the bridge to flood instantly with water and scary fish!

even better! and while we are at it, why not make one reeeaaalllyyy big 2 or 3 tile wide bridge atop a big stair set (acessable only via the secret middle of the ocean one) and we can have marksdwarves up there to snipe the orcs XD

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2009, 10:45:24 pm »

Or, we have our fortress in a biodome underwater, only accessible by the underwater bridge

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2009, 12:45:52 am »

Or, we have our fortress in a biodome underwater, only accessible by the underwater bridge

we do both! only the most unfortunate dwarfs are drafted for the marksdwarf squard. then they must brave the surface level and the harsh sun.

of course, this needs an elaborate system of special seperate rooms on the edge, with deep pools and ledges on the edge. pumps will fill the pool area inside safely, and then we can fish from the saftey of the fort!

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:18 am »

Something insane and unlikely, surrounded by water and dangerous fish, with orcs waiting to tear our limbs off...?

I LOVE THIS FORTRESS  ;D
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:58 pm »

Something insane and unlikely, surrounded by water and dangerous fish, with orcs waiting to tear our limbs off...?

ofcourse! its completly retarded  insane  just what the king likes!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2009, 08:44:39 pm »

Wow. I have no idea how to do any of those things, and I would likely get lots of dwarfs killed if I tried.

Which makes them perfect. So, I'm now picturing a three tiered bridge/fortress/madhouse: Above water, in the water, and underground.

Of course to get to all of that, I've got to break this siege first. Any ideas on how to drive off 60+ orcs? Keep in mind, we have a total of 21 adult dwarfs, and only five have military training. And two of those five have neck injuries.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2009, 09:10:18 pm »

wait it out or give everyone crossbows.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »

Barbossa spoke it well. Slaughter all your critters and get a bone crossbow for every dwarf, then turn the rest into bolts. Open the main gates. 21 dwarves can't lose in that situation because you figure that each bolt that hits will cause a grey or yellow wound. 21 dwarves firing about 8 shots per second means that those orcs = pincushions.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »

Build straight up from the middle of the fort, high enough that orcs wont interrupt the dwarves. Make a bridge out over the orcs. Then drop a train on em. Or some floor tiles, whichever's easier.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »

I can't believe you got BustedLung as the name of an artifact crossbow. It keeps getting more and more apt.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2009, 10:55:40 pm »

it's was already at maximum aptness when it was made by a woodcutter named after my woodcutter who has two mangled lungs.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »

just build some underground tunnels connected to the river and fill em with pumps. have floodgate'd exits in the ground around where your orcs go

throw a switch, and bam, they get washed away into the river. let the carp take 'em

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:07 am »

A simple way to destroy orc sieges are crossbows. I've beaten off plenty with a squad (5 - 10 dwarves, mostly proficient or above) behind fortifications. Make sure to desquad them and micromanage their positions for best results. Use livestock to keep the orcs occupied while you pincushion them if your melee dwarves are dead/resting/drinking.

You don't need much more than the bones of the orc sieges to train them up. Simply make about ten to fifteen stacks of iron bolts after each siege, from the orcs melted armor if you have no iron.

Spike traps can also be effective, they slow the orcs down and disarm them (by impaling their legs and arms) if not kill them outright and so give your dwarves more time to pincushion them.

EDIT: Grammar
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:51:23 am by Martian »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28