Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46115 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2009, 06:40:25 pm »

Say, who do our dwarves worship?  I mean, individually.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:05 pm »

The gift from the rainbow goddess is... *spins wheel* A kick in the face!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2009, 10:53:12 pm »

Say, who do our dwarves worship?  I mean, individually.

Your guy worships Ninur the Defensive Renown, god of war and fortresses. The most dwarfy among the lot. Solon, of course, worships the god of rainbows. Cazador has Dumed (forgivenessm etc), Red Fortune and Pok have Bokbon (peace) and Frea and Inaluct have Dasel (hospitality).

The new migrants have introduced a few more gods, though. I'll have to check them out.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2009, 11:05:16 pm »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Granite the 6th, 203

Another day, another kobold. Inaluct made short work of this one with her pick. In light of the recent raids, and the always looming threat of the orcs, Cazador has requested an archery target or two to be set up, so he can improve his marksmanship. Once again, our hunter comes through with a sensible suggestion. Ah, common sense, that rare commodity. I'm just going to take a moment to bask in the glow.

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Granite the 14th, 203

The elves have arrived! I'm honestly not sure how they got here. One moment the forest was empty, the next,  camels and elves galore. Elves like doing that kind of thing, I think. It's part of their “charm”.

Well, I suppose we can throw a few of my crafts their way. Lord Legon says it's a fitting punishment. He's just a barrel of laughs these days. Now where'd I put that ax?

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Felsite the 10th, 203

Cazador just called down from the tower! It's either an orc army come to slaughter us all, or it's migrants fresh from the mountainhomes. Come to slaughter us all, possibly. We'll see!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2009, 11:21:28 pm »

(A bit later)

The tiny packed sand dining room had never been meant to hold this many dwarfs. All 21 of the new migrants were pressed into the small space, and the heat and noise were fast becoming unbearable. Solon, in a bid to gain attention, hopped up onto a jet table and shouted “Could everyone calm down and be quiet for just one second!” The noise continued unabated. Solon turned to Inaluct. “Give me a hand, would you please?” Inaluct shrugged, and with one smooth motion brought her copper pick down on the table, nearly cracking it in half. Near complete silence followed.

“Er... yes, that's sufficient I think.” She cleared her throat. “Now, I suppose you all probably know why you've come here, so there's no need for me to explain that all over again. And yes, I know that it's madness. Our King wants madness. He wants his name to be listed in the annals of Dwarf lore as something really insane. So he gave us this task, this mad, seemingly impossible task. But hell, if there's anyone who can manage to form madness into something concrete, it's us dwarfs! We can build this thing, and in the end perhaps it will be our names that go down in legend, too! And if we-” Solon paused as she noticed a politely raised hand. “Er, yes... uh, you?” The dwarf, who looked like a farm worker of some sort asked,

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Well, the King's project. The Bridge, you know?”

“Bridge? I thought we were here to fight the orcs!” Immediately the crowd began to swell with chatter again. “I'm just here to get away from my wife, you know”, “I was told we'd be draining the ocean!” “See, going to a dance hall is nice, but it's not flashy enough! What you need is one of these globe things - here, let me show you the design...”

“No, damn it! It's a bridge! A huge bridge!” Solon shouted. Gods! She'd been on a roll too. One of her best pep talks, she thought. Wasted. “That's it. Inaluct? Process these bastards. I'm going to bed.”

Inaluct's Official Record of the First Migrants to Greatbridge of Oceans.

(Would like to note that I'm apparently the Official Record Keeper and Secretary of Greatbridge. Won't let it go to my head. And that's a joke)

Felt I should organize this list into a few categories. Should make filing easier.

The Military - dwarfs eager to fight orcs.

Teach, marksdwarf. Assign to Cazador.

Rysith, axdwarf. Very eager this one. Very little experience. New squad.

Baltiel, axdwarf. With Rysith.

The useful few

Remalle, Woodcutter. Will be working with Solon.

Jim, Gem cutter. Calls self Groovesdwarf. Big plans, odd words, still useful. Says he is awaiting arrival of Urist Tex and his Sexolettes. Puzzling.

Lor Rimtarshin. Woodcutter, wood worker. High demand for charcoal means high demand for trees. Working with Solon.

Dunar, Herbalist. Irritable, irritating. Still useful.

The Masses

1 carpenter
1 gem cutter
1 trapper
1 woodcrafter
3 fisherdwarfs
3 farmers (cheesemaker, thresher, miller)
various peasants.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »

Yay, I'm useful!  Also my guy has almost the same personality as me, nice trick.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2009, 04:44:50 am »

That was hilarious :D
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2009, 06:41:15 am »

I'd like to request a dwarf.
Name: Jurgen
Profession: Mechanic or mason. Any migrant will do if you train them up and use the magic of imagination.
Background:
Jurgen is a deeply eccentric and very old archeologist who has ended up here due to skills he has picked up in several centuries of traveling. A deeply conservative and dusty dwarf, he has spent his life going to foreign lands with a group of burly dwarves and taking priceless archaeological artifacts, occasionally by force.
He dedicated fifty years to finding the site of Olonkulet, only to find the gates locked, and a filthy wooden shack occupied by a stinking mad engineer, who was promptly sent off to a sanitarium.
Ech, I feel really pushy now.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:38 am »

Name: Keilden
Job: THE LAW (sheriff,hammerer etc)
Keilden wants all off his rooms to be in a tower with windows so he can watch over the criminal scum, and by criminal scum he means all dwarfs who ain't following his orders.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:37 am »

I'd like to request a dwarf.
Name: Jurgen
Profession: Mechanic or mason. Any migrant will do if you train them up and use the magic of imagination.
Background:
Jurgen is a deeply eccentric and very old archeologist who has ended up here due to skills he has picked up in several centuries of traveling. A deeply conservative and dusty dwarf, he has spent his life going to foreign lands with a group of burly dwarves and taking priceless archaeological artifacts, occasionally by force.
He dedicated fifty years to finding the site of Olonkulet, only to find the gates locked, and a filthy wooden shack occupied by a stinking mad engineer, who was promptly sent off to a sanitarium.
Ech, I feel really pushy now.

Oops, sorry! Missed the "any migrant will do" part.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:45 am »

"From the journals of Solon Wardbridges, Hematite the 4th, 203

As if to show that nothing sane can ever happen around here, Lor Rimtarshin has begun babbling and shouting. Cazador says that she grabbed two blocks of alder, a turtle shell, and set to work in the bowyers workshop. He was none to pleased about it, as he had just asked for a crossbow to be made there.

From the journals of Solon Wardbridges, Hematite the 12th, 203

Well! As it turns out, Cazador got what he wanted, and then some. Lor just produced this:

Not too shabby."

Solon closed her journal. And that was that! She'd heard of strange cases like that of Lor Rimtarshin, where the dwarf involved seemed to be posessed by an otherworldy force. It was said to be a bad omen, by the kind of people who liked to say that sort of thing. Still, all that resulted from this one was an excellent quality crossbow, so she'd start believing in bad omens when she saw -

“Solon, you'd better get up here quick! There's something coming up the coast!"

Shit.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2009, 11:52:32 am »

What, already?  Have you even started the bridge?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »

OH GOD OH GOD

At least I'll be underground when the pain train comes. I'll be one of the last to die.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »

Well, at least I had a dwarf, even if it turns out to have only been briefly. If I've got an axe, I'll take some down with me!

Assuming we are fighting, that is. If we aren't, I'll keep training with Baltiel so we can kill them all next time.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:12 pm »

While I hate to disappoint anyone, there probably won't be much fighting this time around. I want to get at least a little bit done on the bridge before the inevitable massacre.

That said, there have already been a few deaths. And Cazador may or may not be forced to go out in a blaze of glory. Unless he wants to starve to death.

More later!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28