Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46106 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 05:11:44 am »

Find a way to use this perpetual power to generate enough heat to make magma.
There can be nothing more dwarven than breaking the laws of physics to kill stuff.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 10:02:30 am »

ooh! use it to power a magma geyser trap!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 11:29:37 am »

Build a HUUUUUUUGE generator using perpetual energy machines that may one day be able to drain an ocean.

Whatever you do, don't try to drain the ocean. The third fortress in the "All Dwarves are Bastards" community thread was ruined when the author tried to do something similar. There was a huge FPS drop.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 12:11:51 pm »

ooh! use it to power a magma geyser trap!

this seems to be the only viable one so far, then.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »

If anything other than orcs is going to break this fortress, it'll be fps problems. My computer has enough trouble with ordinary fortresses as it is.

Onward to progress!

Red Fortune kicked disconsolately at a piece of driftwood that had just washed ashore. Not only had her one idea been ignored at the meeting, Solon had had the gall to ban her from even going near dogs! When it came to the point that a dwarf was being denied her freedom of expression, she thought...

A cry of surprise and pain yanked her out of her reverie. She whipped around just in time to see Cazador shoot a bolt point blank through the skull of a kobold thief. The others were quick to rush to the scene and congratulate him on his luck and skill. Red Fortune just sighed.

Damn! If only the kobold had gone a few steps further, he might have killed the obnoxious cat that had taken to roaming the fortress halls.

There were times when just nothing seemed to go your way.

(ey Red Fortune, if you don't think the way I'm writing your character is right, just let me know.)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2009, 12:18:19 pm »

The cry rang out in the dawn air. “Ships! Ships! The sea is full of ships!” Solon scrambled up the hillside to meet Cazador as he bounded down the jet stairs of his watchtower. “Ships! And they have dwarfs on them! We're being rescued!” He paused. “Or resupplied!” Another pause, as they both considered the man who had probably sent the ships. “Or invaded!”

Their uncertainty was soon relieved when, as they watched from the not so high heights of the watchtower, they saw the two ships let down anchor just offshore and the dwarfs on board begin busily unloading several wagons worth of cargo. One small shape detached itself from the general chaos and confusion and began making its way through the stacks of driftwood, towards the tower. Solon groaned. No doubt it was the King's Liaison, which in turn meant that not only had the King remembered that they were there, he had remembered that he had sent them there for a reason. She could only hope the Onul the Mad remembered what that reason was.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009, 12:38:32 pm »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Limestone the 18th, 202

It's possible that I, busy with the essential business of running this fortress, have forgotten a few simple tasks. Like the task of producing goods for trade.

Woops!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009, 04:56:38 pm »

Ha. That's funny. Can dwarves actually come in boats, or did you just make it up? :P
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 08:16:15 pm »

Presumably it's a story aide to explain how the caravan showed up on the map edge that didn't have a civilization on it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »

Yup.

Fun Fact! This civilization has just about the wimpiest set of gods I've ever seen. Dasel Fishpepper is the god of hospitality, Bokbon the god of peace, Dumed the god of forgiveness, mercy and healing, and Anriz is the god of rainbows.

These are some real tuff dwarfs here.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 11:02:05 pm »

wait until they get attacked by Orcs who believe in the god of happyness.  :D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »

I'm gonna say the orcs believe in gods of doom, pain, and murder.

maybe the 'good' gods broke the ancient rainbow bridge, and the minions of the evil gods are developing a weapon. Thus, the 'good' gods send a prophecy to the dwarven rulers, saying they must rebuild the rainbow bridge and smite the evil orcish menace!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:50 am »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Limestone the 19th, 202

All throughout the meeting with Zulban, I felt that something was wrong. Everything was conducted at a rush, from the opening formalities to the “requests” from the mountainhomes. (The most prominent among which is earrings. Something about our beloved Mad King that I was unaware of?) When we had reached the end, she hesistated a moment, pulled a small envelope from her vest, and handed it to me, saying “Oh and there's this I look forward to our meeting next year goodbye good luck!”

She was out the door and legging it over the beach before I could protest.

I think that the letter speaks for itself, so I'll just reproduce it here with minimal comment.

“My dearest Solon (Dearest?). We hope this missive finds you well. We certainly are! The summer finds the geraniums blossoming in the gardens (Geraniums?) We sincerely hope the testament to our Grandly Marvelous Madness is coming along nicely. Oh! Have you given consideration to perpetual motion machines? We find them wonderfully baffling! Just a thought*" ~ Mad King Onul

Under that, in a different script, it read:

*Wardbridges. This is not just a thought. Do it. - Signed the Royal Hammerer.

(Note: It's now late spring of 203, and the migrants have just arrived. Some catching up to do.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:43:28 am by varnish »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:53 am »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Winter 202

What can be said about the winter of 202 that has not been said before?

Very little. It was a boring winter.

Moonstone the 1st, 202
I've taken up stonecrafting, to pass the time. I'll admit that I'm new at this, and that some of my earlier creations may lack that... certain something, but that was still no reason for Legon to call that bracelet I made “Abomination in Stone, #23”. That's just impolite.

Obsidion the 1st, 202
Outside, Cazador is watching Red Fortune watching the dogs bark at the waves. And I guess I'm watching him watching them now. And I think the dogs are trying to get at the salmon they can see leaping about out there. So I'm watching Cazador who's watching Red Fortune who is watching the dogs watching - oh gods, I think cabin fever is starting to set in. I've got to go smelt something

Granite the 1st, 202
Spring has arrived! Yes!

It's still raining! Damn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:05 am »

don't worry, after the rain ends, the god of rainbows will appear with a gift!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28