Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46103 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2009, 11:27:54 am »

Thanks! Currently, it's made of iron, slate, and kaolinite. Mostly iron. My idea right now is for the borders to be contstructed of iron (like girders), and the rest to be made of stone and other random metals. And glass. And madness.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »

Oh wow.  I hadn't realized the bridge had gotten so far.  It almost reaches the other side.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »

Next on the list, Solon though, was Teach. She didn't want to blame him for the strike, but he was the only one who might have a clue to what the soldiers had been thinking... She found him jogging up the front stairs. Nothing unusual there, Teach liked to keep in shape. She called after him, “Teach, I need to ask you-”

“No time! Goblin ambush! They're right on top of the gate!”

“Oh for the love of..."

Shiz the engraver and Sarvesh the woodcrafter were the unlucky pair who discovered the ambush. Sarvesh was cut down where she stood, and Shiz's right arm was very nearly crushed by a goblin mace. She was only saved by the quick actions of Cain, whose managed to kill the two closest goblins, and frighten off their companions. Cries of alarm from the dig site told her that they had brought friends, however.  Sure enough, two more squads soon came into view.

Caine stood over Shiz as she crawled back over the drawbridge, and watched apprehensively as the other two goblin parties drew closer. Teach and his boys should arrive any second now, she thought. But Grath was the first to join her, looking slightly out of breath, but enthusiastic. He was nearly hopping with excitement as he said. “Ok, you charge ahead, and I'll snatch any bolts that come your way right out of the air! It can't go wrong!”

Cain looked in confusion at him, and shifted her sword nervously in her hand. Why did the military always seem to attract the insane ones? “Or... we could wait here for Teach and the rest to arrive.” She paused when she saw how disappointed Grath looked. “Annnnd... You can keep me safe by grabbing bolts that they shoot at us here, right?”

“Ah, right!”

The irrepressible Sir Geo chose that moment to pop out of the tunnel of spikes, perhaps hoping to give some goblin the surprise of his life... or at least lighten the mood. He was shot and killed instantly. A partial success.

(To be continued. I'm tired, and I'm not even sure if this post makes sense.)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:33 am »

Pok makey heads go pok! Mace can make heads go pok pok pok! Pok want macey, make heads go pok!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2009, 01:33:10 am »

So is a update coming soon? And I think the king should order you to have a cat zoo in the middle of the bridge. And thats not only normal pet cats, but lions and other kinds of cats.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:59 pm »

Ok, I had every intention of keeping this thing updated regularly. Unfortunately, I also thought it would be a good idea to take some classes this summer. Five weeks of "intensive" (ie: hellish) class have left me pretty exhausted, as well as hating the very idea of writing. Still, I'm almost done, and I'd be happy to keep Greatbridge going if there's still some interest.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:41 pm »

I'm interested!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2009, 04:36:50 am »

I'm interested!

/\
                      ||
                     Same
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:15 am »

I'm interested!

/\
                      ||
                     Same

Ditto
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2009, 09:30:36 am »

Hell yeah!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2009, 09:40:20 am »

I'm interested!

/\
                      ||
                     Same

Ditto

Dildo
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2009, 11:16:39 am »

Keep going!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:53 am »

Right! Let's get back in to this!

First, a lazy summing up of the last couple months after that ambush.

The Last Few Months in Greatbridge: Some Perspectives

Solon:

All right, it's been a few months since Sir Geo and Cain were killed. Enough time that I'd thought things might be looking up. You know, to make up for the horrible start to the year. Yes, I know that was stupid of me to think that. Yes, I know I should know better. Yes, the orcs are back. It's spring, and we're trapped inside again, with the elfs. Oh, and Jurgen is trapped outside on the bridge. I'll have to figure out some way to save him...

Inaluct:

Record of Notable Deaths for 208

Sir Geo, Miner: Unfortunate to lose a miner. Less unfortunate to lose this one.
Cain, Swordsdwarf: Bad. This one was useful. Goblin spearman that killed her should have been spotted. Step up security around depot.

Jurgen:

Jurgen was hardly in the position to offer perspective on the last few months. Leaving out the fact that it was damn cold on the bridge, he was in serious danger of being torn apart in several horrible ways. He shivered, and huddled closer to the iron floor. His life was in Solon's hands now.

Oh dear gods no.

Teach:

We lost Cain to a second ambush. An ambush led by a human. That's got me feeling suspicious, though I don't know why. Now the orcs are here, prancing around in the fields, and half my boys are either dead or down with broken limbs of some kind. Not a good time.

Legon:

Legon was sitting at Frea's bar, telling one of his favorite stories. Let's listen.

"And then she said, 'Hey, that's not my beard you've been looking at, that was my-'"

...Never mind
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:23:36 am by varnish »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2009, 01:40:25 am »

Just to mention this: That last post was based off my notes from a month or two ago. After writing that, I loaded up the fortress itself to get a good look at the situation. My reaction is as follows:

Oh god oh god oh god what the hell is wrong with this place everybody is going to die nothing makes any sense where did I even put the fucking furniture stockpile...

More tomorrow, and I promise that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2009, 08:52:57 am »

So how is Lor Rimtarshin doing?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28