Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46097 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »

Damn, that picture is great.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 09:25:26 pm »

so, how did we get on the orc side in the first place?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »

Very carefully....
All generalizations are false....including this one.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, 1st of Hematite, 202

It was with great ceremony that we laid the first block in the Wondrous Bridge of Idiocy.

Ha!

The Ceremony consisted of yours truly laying some newly smelted iron bars down in a shape that, if looked at in the wrong light by a half blind dwarf who had gone without ale for far too long, could be interpreted as wall shaped. It'll probably be knocked down once I get an idea for what this mad bridge should actually look like, but until then, it's our sole sign of progress.

"Lord" Legon wandered by at one point (right after I had finished the job, naturally) and asked me “just what the hell I was up to”. I explained about the mad bridge project. He seemed puzzled, and more interested in some crazy little plot involving catapults or some such nonsense.

Perhaps it's time to call a founders meeting. Where did he get that idea from? Didn't he get the instructions from the Kin- oh gods I hope he got the right instructions from the King...

I need to call that meeting.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:56 am »

Agh, don't mind having a female, but she does like dog, if it is in a rather... Different way (speaking of which, did you bring any dogs?). The drawing is one of true skill, you must be at least a competent Diagram Drawer. Going great so far, but do you plan on getting to the other side of that Armok forsaken water? We don't want those ugly beasts tapping on the doors.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 01:30:58 am »

I'll take a woodcutter, named after the hero of my current fort, Lor Rimtarshin.

(I dunno what their name means, but they've got two mangled lungs, a mangled liver, and a mangled pancreas and they still cut down trees and goblins like grass in front of a... shreddy thing.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 01:52:05 am »

I like that idea, Moron. Do you have a name you would like to use, or is, well, Moron fine?

Moron is fine, and I don't mind a male or female dwarf.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 04:36:58 pm »

Agh, don't mind having a female, but she does like dog, if it is in a rather... Different way (speaking of which, did you bring any dogs?). The drawing is one of true skill, you must be at least a competent Diagram Drawer. Going great so far, but do you plan on getting to the other side of that Armok forsaken water? We don't want those ugly beasts tapping on the doors.

We have four dogs, so your gal should be quite happy once the puppy breeding program gets underway. As for getting to the other side, well, that's what the bridge will be for. (Though I would like to try catapulting unwilling sacrifices happy volunteers over it.)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »

If you do have a woodcutter open for me, train them up to legendary, give em a steel axe, and throw em over!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 07:01:07 pm »

What makes you think he has access to steel axes? Also, I think we're on the orc side.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

because you can embark with them.

if not steel, anything is possible. including mad axedwarves!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 09:46:34 pm »

We've got one steel axe, currently being used by Solon. I'm a bit curious about caravans and migrants. I think they should still come, even though we're on the orc side, but I'm not certain. If they don't, or if they appear on the opposite side of the map... Things would become interesting.

But the moment I get migrants, mad axedwarfs and all other requests are a go.

I haven't had a lot of time to run the fortress due to schoolwork, but I'll try to get an update or two in. Any ideas for the first Crazy New Plan to come from the king?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:14 pm »

I'll take a dwarf in the next migrant wave. I think I like where this fort is going.

Name: Jim
Special Profession Title: Groovesdwarf
Actual Profession: Gem related.
Purpose in life: To create a gem-encrusted disco ball, and after that, a discotheque with the gem-encrusted disco ball at the center, with gem-windows lining the walls with a multitude of different gems to simulate a disco ball effect.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:28 pm »

The First Annual Meeting of the Founders of Greatbridge of Oceans, Solon Wardbridges, Expedition Leader presiding.

Official Minutes, as taken down by Inaluct, Miner. Who would like to also note that she was in the middle of a very well deserved break just now.

10:35 am - S.W opens first official meeting. Takes own sweet time in doing so. A bit wordy, this one.

10:42 am - Down to brass tacks.

10:45 - 11:10 - S.W lays down the orders from the King. Massive bridge, built out of something, failure equals death. Varied reactions of disgust, disinterest, exhaustion. (Last one just me). Discussion.

11:15 - Traditional dwarven interest in insane projects begin to overwhelm objections. Exception: Red Fortune, who wandered off early. “Checking on the dogs” was the excuse.

11:20 -12:40 - Ideas flow fast and free. Mentioned are The Tower of Salt And Glass, The Perpetual Catapults of Pok-ing, repeated requests for menacing spikes of dog bone, and, it's like a waterfall, see, but there's ten of them, and they are huge!”

12:41 - Consensus is reached and a basic draft is completed.

12:42 pm - Frea asks inconvenient question involving orcs and building a path that will lead them straight to the Mountainhomes.

12:42 - 12:46 - Awkward silence.

12:46 pm - Motion to adjourn meeting to the booze stockpile.

12:47 pm - Motion carries. End minutes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:33 pm »

Build a HUUUUUUUGE generator using perpetual energy machines that may one day be able to drain an ocean.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28