Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)  (Read 46136 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatbridge of Oceans (community fort, why not)
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2009, 07:54:47 pm »

Rysith roared into the fray and promptly had his knee snapped by the butt of Thisot Bindbad's spear.
But damn it, she was still worth more than Rysith.

Curse you, weak dwarven neck! Curse you, weak dwarven legs! Why must my body fail my mind's most grand plans?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:00 pm »

In character:  "Though art weak minded, dim-witted axeman."
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »

Yes! Some action

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:23 pm »

The party celebrating Greatbridge's first real victory had really been something. At least that's what Solon assumed. She knew that she had just awoken in her office, and she didn't recall walking there, or putting so many socks on her head before doing so... Yes, it had definitely been something. A few more hours and she might figure out what.

She removed the sock that was covering her eyes and was surprised to see Legon sitting in front of her, tapping his foot impatiently.

“Gah! Legon, what are you doing there?”

“Waiting.” He answered, looking insolent as always.

“Waiting for what?” Solon said, making an effort to be polite. Her head was still spinnning...

“For you to get out of that chair.” He was grinning now. “See, this office belongs to the mayor, and me and my wife would like to start moving in soon. Today, in fact.”

“What? Wait... what? You... you can't possibly think that you're the mayor... somehow?

For a moment he looked dissatisfied. “Not me. Frea was elected last night, at the party. A bit after you left, we all decided it would be fun to throw a surprise election. See for yourself.” He handed her a sheet of paper, marked “Election 206 Results.” Sure enough, there it was. And in Inaluct's handwriting too.

“This... this is ridiculous. We aren't even a democracy! The king made me the leader of this expedition! How is Frea going to explain this to him?” Solon's brow furrowed “Come to think of it, how did she win in the first place?

“Sheer merit, of course. Not hard, considering the competition. Also, she's the one who brews all the beer, and it seems that's a popular job. Now, are you going to clear the hell out, or should in the Captain of the Guard? I know how much you and Keilden get along...

Approximately two minutes later, Solon was out in the hall, alone, hung over, and unemployed.

This was going to take some work to fix.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2009, 08:55:11 pm »

What an odd turn of events.  Also, Legon is such an ass, keep it up  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2009, 12:05:57 am »

Yes!  Bring on the Black Bronze Goblets!  And the Dark Pink Greaves!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:34 am »

Aww you left without a fight, I was going to use the VIP hammer on you if you refused.
*Puts away the spiked hammer*
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2009, 07:06:33 am »

*Taps foot*
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14:25 pm »

Still here, just haven't had access to my computer for a few days. Getting back to the fortress tonight.

Frea is pretty much the most boring mayor possible. So far she's mandated one goblet. Just a plain goblet. Come on!

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »

just a single goblet? O_o

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2009, 12:41:00 am »

Not just a goblet.  A chalice.  A golden chalice.  A golden chalice which must be encrusted with multiple jewels and placed on an alter to Idrath the Oily Luxuries.  There's your "real" mandate.  Go.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2009, 01:37:47 am »

Not just a goblet.  A chalice.  A golden chalice.  A golden chalice which must be encrusted with multiple jewels and placed on an alter to Idrath the Oily Luxuries.  There's your "real" mandate.  Go.

Not just an alter. a shrine. A temple. a luxurious temple with grand pillared halls and long flowing tapestries and many a great statue arorning acloves in the walls. Theres your "real" alter. Go.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:26 pm »

Not just an alter. a shrine. A temple. a luxurious temple with grand pillared halls and long flowing tapestries and many a great statue arorning acloves in the walls. Theres your "real" alter. Go.
Not just a temple.  A great building spanning the entirety of the gulf, with the roof at sea level forming a bridge.  Large enough to seat a thousand dwarves.  Grates forming the floor at points to pull and drop unruly dwarves into the magma.  Parallel to the existing bridge.  There's your "real" temple.  Go.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2009, 12:06:23 pm »

Not just a temple.  A great building spanning the entirety of the gulf, with the roof at sea level forming a bridge.  Large enough to seat a thousand dwarves.  Grates forming the floor at points to pull and drop unruly dwarves into the magma.  Parallel to the existing bridge.  There's your "real" temple.  Go.

Urist McDwarf also makes a mandate: Drink Booze

There's your "proper" mandate, do it!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29:09 pm »

(First, the boring part)

Frea Calls a Meeting

Recorded by Inaluct

Attending:
Frea, Mayor
Legon, Hanger-on
Erith, “High Priestess” (note sarcasm)
Solon, Former Mayor
Keilden, Captain of Guard

Transcript Follows:

“So! Now that we've got everyone important together- Solon, dear, what are you doing here?”

“Well, Frea, as I'm still the official manager and broker here, and seeing as how I, you know, founded this place... I figured that-”

“Oh, all right. Moving on to real business! Temples. I know that most of you feel the same way as I do. We've been here for over four years, and there still isn't a proper temple built for any of the gods. Oh, of course we began construction on one, but it seems as though the previous administration”

“Hey!” (Note: At this point Keilden makes threatening motion towards Solon with hammer. Protesting from Solon, snideness from Legon, etc. Not worth writing.)

“Sorry, Solon, but it's true. Anyway, it seems the previous administration just didn't feel it was necessary to put our full effort into this. I think the results of that foolishness are pretty clear. We've had nothing but disaster since setting foot here, and that says to me that the gods are unhappy. There's only one way to appease them, which is”

“Sacrifice! We must make a sacrifice to Ozor, Lord of Dreams!”

“Maybe later, Erith, dear. No, I'm talking about a grand temple, one with room for all of our respective gods! Naturally, Idrath will have the most prestigious spot...

(Much shouting and argument here. Went to get a drink. Came back, and meeting was over. Considered that a job well done. Went to get another drink.)

From the Journals of Solon Wardbridges, Late Summer 206

Frea asked me to do a rough sketch of all the various construction projects that we have going on. She's been nothing but irritating ever since she stole my job (her latest demand is for a solid gold chalice), but I figured, why the hell not? If nothing else, it'll show her just what she's got herself in to.

Time to get to work, Frea! I also wonder how she's going to deal with the king's messenger come the fall. Well, it's not a question that I have to worry about, because I'm not the mayor any more, am I? Heh.

(Next! Merchants! Goblins! Possibly an execution or two!)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28