Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire men  (Read 710 times)

Guillaume777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire men
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »

Hello,

How do I keep firemen from destroying my fortress? I thought putting bars and grates in the lava vent would be enough, but they can destroy them?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire men
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:35:03 pm »

there is one surefire way to defeat them.

wooden cages.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »

Guillaume777, may I direct you to here.  Should hold the answers to most of your questions, so you don't have to wait for someone else to look it up there and post it in a thread.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Guillaume777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:47 pm »

Guillaume777, may I direct you to here.  Should hold the answers to most of your questions, so you don't have to wait for someone else to look it up there and post it in a thread.

Actually I use wiki fortress most of the time,  however in many cases it is unclear or wrong.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:13 pm »

I'm sorry, but as I see more of your threads, I begin to have more and more trouble believing that.

The wiki has always proven more than adequate(and accurate) for anything I needed to research.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »

Use fortifications. They'll block magma critters while allowing the magma through, and they're completely indestructible. Not only will fire men and their ilk be unable to remove them, but you can build them out of wood and the magma won't melt/burn it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »

Losing is fun, especially when a magma man storms the fortress with nothing but 2,000 degree hands as weapons.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:04 am »

Actually I use wiki fortress most of the time,  however in many cases it is unclear or wrong.

I have trouble believing this as well.

Unless your version is incompatible with the wiki you're using. There are TWO wikis you know?
http://archive.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.