Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground River Oddity  (Read 780 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground River Oddity
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:06:41 pm »

Is it normal for an underground river to 'start' as a waterfall? Even though the z-level above and below the waterfall portion is solid rock?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Underground River Oddity
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:09:59 pm »

I have seen this on several occasions.  I just assume that means that it's coming out of a bunch of tiny cracks, or porous stone.  :)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:19:36 pm »

This is the only true start to an underground river that I have ever seen.  (Starting at the edge of the map isn't really starting; it's really just a continuation.  Had you embarked in a slightly different location, you would have discovered the true start, and it probably would have still been a waterfall from nowhere.)

It certainly does look somewhat odd, though, yes.  Maybe underground rivers will eventually acquire a similar merging-tributaries look that above-ground brooks and such have.  Perhaps even for next release, since Toady will be beginning on improving underground features tomorrow.  That's just pure speculation on my part, though; I don't remember him ever suggesting anything like that.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »

I have seen this on several occasions.  I just assume that means that it's coming out of a bunch of tiny cracks, or porous stone.  :)

But... But I made a factory beneath the waterfall, and a windmill farm above! :)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.