Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cats and vermin  (Read 805 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cats and vermin
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:10:51 pm »

is there any thing i can do to keep my cats from going out side to kill all the phantom spiders (and other vermin)?
its getting really annoying that all my cats are out side killing vermin when my food stores have a bad demon rat problem
i tried using doors that are set to not allow pets but my cats always follow my dwarves outside then get locked out

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: cats and vermin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:13:03 pm »

is there any thing i can do to keep my cats from going out side to kill all the phantom spiders (and other vermin)?

Cook them.  Although this will not help with your demon rat problem.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:14:13 pm »

the thing is the cats stayed out side of their cages to long and they all got adopted except for 1

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:23:05 pm »

[HOMEOTHERM:40000]

Thermonuclear catsplosion!

Seriously, though the only way I'm aware of to keep a cat from going somewhere is to ensure that there's absolutely NO PATH to get there.  You may end up having to install some pits/drawbridges or something. 

If you've got spare wood and a spare dwarf, you may be able to make several small animal traps, and set a dwarf to perma "capture a small land animal" duty rather than waiting for a cat to do it..  On the plus side, your dwarves will probably eat the captured vermin more often than the actual food, leaving more materials for brewing...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:37:43 pm by Mount »

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:32:13 pm »

ok thanks for the help

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23:11 pm »

I still use cats to keep vermin out of my food store: I've put them in a cage just inside the doorway. I don't know if the caged cats are able to attack vermin in adjacent tiles, but it at least seems to work as a deterrent.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.