Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Omega- an old roguelike that looks fun.  (Read 4346 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Omega- an old roguelike that looks fun.
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:39:57 am »

Windows download:
http://www.prankster.com/winomega/

This is definately an interesting game, although you can easily cheat on it (not that it seems to help much in my case).

The inventory system is the same one used by incursion, and the screen is fairly clean for a roguelike, and it can be funny at times.

The only problem is that I seem to be increadably bad at this game.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega- an old roguelike that looks fun.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:10:47 pm »

this was a fun game.  i remember the dungeons being really hard, but you could hang out in the city joining guilds and doing quests for them, and leveling up a little in the arena.

it came out when i was pretty young though, and during character creation i had thought "sexual preference?  well i prefer to be male.  what an odd way of wording that question."

i realized what went wrong after visiting the brothel.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:12:46 pm »

it came out when i was pretty young though, and during character creation i had thought "sexual preference?  well i prefer to be male.  what an odd way of wording that question."

i realized what went wrong after visiting the brothel.
Sigged  ;D
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:14:32 pm »

There are brothels? Now I really need to get to the bottom of the first dungeon. If you to canabalize people, it calls you disgusting because you didn't bother cooking them. :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

Wow, I remember playing this such a long time ago... I remember it made fun of me when I said I could see auras. :(

I also remember it being hard to play and navigate around.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:33:45 pm »

Where do I find the first dungeon?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:05:29 am »

Leave town, go south-ish until you see a mountain range

Code: [Select]
.-^.
.^*^
Should look like that, but the star looks like a mountain untill you "s"earch.
Also, dungeons are Fun until you get to level one. (but that is not a guarentee that you will survive)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:41:56 am »

I just downloaded this, and while it simply reeks of potential fun, I have practically no idea where to go or what to do.

Since I took the "play as yourself" option and answered as honestly as I could (although the questions could not adequately define me), my character is not what one might call "the fighting type".  As such, I'm wandering around town with 149 gold pieces in my pocket, no equipment except for the hedge maze potion, and no real means of beating anything up to get equipment.  I suppose I should have just lied outrageously on that test...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a brand-spankin'-new character with 15 constitution, 14 intelligence and 9 strength.  Not to mention a brand-spankin' new player who still hasn't figured out all the controls.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »

I just downloaded this, and while it simply reeks of potential fun, I have practically no idea where to go or what to do.

Since I took the "play as yourself" option and answered as honestly as I could (although the questions could not adequately define me), my character is not what one might call "the fighting type".  As such, I'm wandering around town with 149 gold pieces in my pocket, no equipment except for the hedge maze potion, and no real means of beating anything up to get equipment.  I suppose I should have just lied outrageously on that test...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a brand-spankin'-new character with 15 constitution, 14 intelligence and 9 strength.  Not to mention a brand-spankin' new player who still hasn't figured out all the controls.

Well, you're too weak to join the mercenaries, too stupid to be a sorcerer, and without doing stuff first to define what your character "acts" like, none of the Gods will be interested in having you as a follower, nor will the paladins allow you to join them.

My tip: buy a cheap weapon from the pawn shop and fight in the arena games. The first two or three enemies are pretty easy and you'll get money and experience.

Pro tip: there are monsters to fight in the hedge maze (and a hidden dungeon IIRC, although it's been a long time) but some of them are pretty strong, so be ready to run. If you HAVE to, you can run *through* the bushes, although you move really slowly doing that, so only as a last resort.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 06:56:50 pm »

Well, I gave 100 gold pieces to that orphanage.  Stunningly brilliant move on my part.  The other 1 gold piece was spent on a pint of ale.

HollowClown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 07:12:34 pm »

It's been a long, long time since I played this game.  As far as I remember the start:

At the start of the game, you can easily raise your alignment a bit by donating 1gp to the orphanage.  This is enough to worship the good gods and join the paladins.  The paladins are a great guild for new players -- any time you go there, they'll heal and feed you, and give you a horse.  But if you join the paladins, be sure not to fight in the arena (since killing things for spectator enjoyment is evil, and being evil will get you kicked out of the guild).

Alternatively, you can easily lower your alignment a bit (and get a handy chunk of starting cash) by robbing the ATM.  (Hint:  open an account, then come back and enter the wrong password.  Read all the text carefully).  This is enough to worship the evil gods and join the thieves' guild.  Find the thieves' guild by trying every door in town.

You can also get some good, randomly-generated stuff by robbing the castle vault.  (Hint:  if you aren't carrying very much weight, you can swim across water.  You'll also have to wait around for quite a while).  Get all the loot identified at the thieves' guild, if you go this route.

Once you've joined either the good or evil guilds, you should explore the hedge maze until you find the oracle.  Ringing the bell will give you a clue as to where you should go next.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »

Thanks a lot, Hollow! I'll try that. I've had this for a while but never got off my feet, so to speak. Joining the Paladins should be enough to get me started so I can learn the ropes.

Some fun notes and occurances:

* Fidgeting around with the inventory system (and failing) led me to wander town naked save for a bucket of lizard bits strapped across my waist.

* Got locked in a jail, as the gates closed behind me. My friend was playing the game at the same time as me, and I joked that he could come over and open the gate for me. He tried (in his game) for amusement and ruptured himself.

* Fell into raw chaos, leveled up twelve times, then died. Erp.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:17 am »

you can also change your alignment by kicking the altars of gods, as if i remember correctly.  just dont kick them enough to draw down divine wrath.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:13 pm »

Clearly, the character generator has issues, as it has given me 10 strength(hah!) 15 Con(double hah!) 9 Dex(triple Hah!) 18 Int(quadruple hah!) and 10 Agility(sextuple hah!)

I should be slightly stronger, far less durable, far more dexterous, not quite as smart, and slightly more agile.

Other than that, still reading documentation.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 04:17:56 am »

Lol, I loved that game! It's one of those rogulikes which don't have much storyline or whatever that makes a game a game, but are just plain enjoyable for all the surprises and things you could do.

Haha, I played it when I was like 11 or something, and my sister told me that visiting the brothel gives XP.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2