Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf won't put down "named" Weapon  (Read 1891 times)

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf won't put down "named" Weapon
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:41:18 am »

Hy!

One of my dwarfs is wielding a "named" bone-longsword that i have since the beginning, when one of my guys got hit by a mood. The Problem now is, that i want him to change to a Hammer to train his attributes some more. He is a champion, so i can't just undraft him and draft him again.

I tried to forbid it and change the weapon, NOT forbid it and change the weapon, just forbid it etc. He just keeps it.
He now found a hammer, lieing around. He walks towards it, tries to pick it up, shows a questionmark, goes away, turns around, goes back, tries to pick it up again etcetc.

HALP!
(btw... this game is so awesome, when you got a little into it  ;D)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf won't put down "named" Weapon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:31 am »

Named weapons made by dwarves with moods are called "artifacts."  Champions not releasing artifacts is a well-known bug.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:18:11 am »

Well thanks a lot :D. This was fast.
It's kinda sad, that he can't wield my awesome weapons... well, who cares.
Now my dwarven champion will need to get into the historybooksWALLS by slaying goblin armys with his mountain-goat-bone sword inlayed with the beautifull image of a mountain goat bone sword in mountain goat bone... (also known as the redundant sword of redundancy)

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:50 am »

Artifact weapons and armor get an enormous bonus to their effectiveness.  I think he's probably best off with his death-grip on that sword.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:37:56 am »

If you're willing to experiment, you might be able to make him drop it: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30554.msg413093#msg413093

But yeah, an artifact bone sword is thought to do even more damage than a masterwork steel sword (lots) and is just enormously badass.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:01:15 am »

Named weapons made by dwarves with moods are called "artifacts."  Champions not releasing artifacts is a well-known bug.

Perhaps this should be linked to personalities later on. So specific dwarves -who have the appropriate personalities- should _NEVER_ ever drop an artifact.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:30 am »

Artifact weapons and armor get an enormous bonus to their effectiveness.  I think he's probably best off with his death-grip on that sword.

I disagree. I made my first champion drop his artifact axe after sparring 'accidents' where he ripped the throat out of three dwarves in a season.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:17 am »

Perhaps this should be linked to personalities later on. So specific dwarves -who have the appropriate personalities- should _NEVER_ ever drop an artifact.

Yeah, personality could factor interestingly into this List item (under Squads):

# Familiarity with individual weapons, attachment to them, weapon mentions in legends

I disagree. I made my first champion drop his artifact axe after sparring 'accidents' where he ripped the throat out of three dwarves in a season.

This generally only happens when you give soldiers weapons they don't have any skill with.  Once they know how to use the weapon, it's much less of a problem.  The OP makes it sound like his champion became a champion wielding that sword -- i.e., is a legendary swordsdwarf -- so the dangerous phase should be over already.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:20:04 am by Footkerchief »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:38:25 am »

you can lock him in a room with fortifications on one side, then cause a cavein on the other side of the fortifications. the cavein dust will knock him unconcois, and he should drop his weapon. i dont think this is a bug, its just that only champions can wield artifacts, and any dwarf that picks up an artifact will never ever put it down.

in some long ago versions, whoever crafted an artifact used to carry it around with them for the rest of their lives, and use it to fight with if the need arose. this led to hilarity when you got things like a mason  who would create a diorite cabinet and refused to ever put it down, taking it to bed with him and using it to beat the evil chasm creatures to death with.

if you want to train his stats try getting his armor and shield use up. sword, armor and shield use should give him maximum stats. also, once he hits superdwarvenly tough and perfectly agile and whatever, getting him legendary in other weapons wont improve him further. artifact weapons are great, ive never gotten a longsword before. oddest ive seen on the wiki is a blowgun, which happens very very rarely, although you cant make ammo for it.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

I won't experiment with that... if my dwarf decides that he likes the "redundant longsword of redundancy" more than the Steel-maul, than so be it...
Only problem is, that his agility is low as fuck, so i rly need to train him some more skills... we'll see.

Next time some artifact weapon is made, i'll forbid it as soon as it is created. Then i'll give it to some brave warrior as a gift, after he fought some glorious battles...

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »

Only way I got my champion to drop his legendary spear was he got it stuck in a goblin.

Otherwise, just enjoy the champion artifact weilder. Also, forbid your artifact weapons until they are to be put to use.

HalEmmerich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:21 pm »

Is the bonus enough to overcome the original quality of the material though? I've got two legendary armorers thanks to strange moods now, so I can put out masterpiece steel armor. One of them made artifact platinum greaves. According to the wiki, the defense modifier for Platinum(presumably listed under the 'other' section) is only 50, while steel is 133. So, masterpiece steel greaves would have a modifier of 266 since masterpiece quality modifier is 2. Would artifact platinum greaves really have a higher modifier than that? If so it's time to strip my 89 kill champion again...

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 04:24:12 pm »

I think its like this:

Artifact shell armor>masterwork addy plate

Not sure though, ive only ever gotten useless crap from my moods, with 2 exceptions: a short sword and a bitching coffin.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:14 am »

artifact bone or shell is certainly as good or better then masterwork steel. though even artifact steel is probably not quite as good as even base level adamantium gear.

but seriously, i did not realize for years that my entire multi legendary army had only silver and wooden weapons, as i never changed them out after their training. they still butchered the goblins and sent their limbs and heads flying high enough to get stuck on top of my walls and inside the fortifications where i could not get them out. in vanilla DF so long as your champions are wearing iron or steel plate they are invincible to everything except bowmen and some megabeasts and demons.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 03:51:40 am »

I remember early on...

I had an artifact iron coffin that the dwarf refused to drop. When he was drafted into the military, he used to slowly drag his artifact coffin with him and BEAT GOBBOS TO DEATH with it.

As he became a champion, he would rush into battle sending gobbos flying with an artifact coffin in his right hand, shield in his left.

The mental image of a legendary champion wielding a gigantic artifact iron coffin covered in spikes of bone and gems, sending gobbos flying and fleeing for their lives still makes me grin like an idiot today. Holy shit it'd be terrifying to run into him on the battlefield.
Pages: [1] 2