Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Long-term playability  (Read 2114 times)

cparax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long-term playability
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

profit: You've done the affinity thing, right? Speeds it up immensely - having most of a 3.5ghz core available to DF is still better than having all of a 2ghz core, but I find it's still livable.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:44 am »

Depends on the chip.. Some it does speed it up setting affinity to a single core.  Mine, it does not change anything speed wise.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »

There's something about new advances in CPU technology involving better methods of manufacturing Graphene that could allow us to make processors with power in excess of 1000GHz, or 1THz.
Probably in the next five to fifteen years, I think.
They'll be FLOPpier than ever before.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

gizbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Core 57. Isn't it trivial?
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 05:46:15 am »

How much simpler would all of the workshop automation be if we just had a "Use Nearest Material" option?   Even as a new player, I'm finding fun fading away as my growing empire suddenly becomes a world of 'watch my mason march past the stone pile, across the screen, and down into the pits to find a stone'.  Imagine your life in this way:

Monday, 8:15  Wake up, want coffee.
Friday, 10:45   Arrive in Bangor, Maine.  Get coffee from Starbucks.  Need Shirt.
-- Winter is upon you --
Tuesday, 3:15  Buy shirt in San Diego, California.  Need breakfast....

Equivalently stupid, a 'go grab object more than 60 squares away' should be a 'march towards it for 25 squares, think again'.  That one is harder, as it makes a new non-user subtask of 'march that-away' or 'wander towards work'.

Yes, it would be nice to have stockpiles store five identical items in a square.  Yes, it would be nice to build a wheelbarrow that would carry five items, or a mule wagon for twenty, picking up items it happened to pass over.   That seems like work; I just want the stupid to be less.

This is my first post, so please spare me the "we talked about that in 1930" or "but it wouldn't be DF without stupid dwarves" responses. 

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 06:04:43 am »

The idea of having wooden or stone platforms hooked up to power sources would be cool. You designate a rail line, the dwarves build it and hook up the platform to the power source, and voila, transit system that is perfectly dwarven. You would need a lot of them to adequately process every dwarf through long stretches of tunnel, but that's why you either

A: Build a lot of them, dig out vast sections of tunnel to accommodate the array
B: Assign only the most important jobs or dwarves to them, to ensure they're always ready when that time-critical task comes around.

By doing this, you could actually make it so that butchers and tanners etc could be ages away from each other by foot, but in a straight line which is doable faster by platform.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:54 am »

Chip technology is not going to save DF, only vastly improving pathing and fluid-flow algorithms will make a significant impact in performance.  Even Multi-threading could at most multiply performance by the core total but algorithm upgrades can give SEVERAL ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE.  Pathing and flows are the main things slowing down the FPS rate and their is HUGE potential for improvement, an upgrade to even a well designed algorithm can be hugely more efficient, and the current algorithms are no ware near perfect.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:03 pm »

Complaining about walking taking a long time doesn't hold water when it's the ridiculously quick construction and short years that are the problem

Short years aren't doing any favors to "short lived" human civs either
Pages: 1 [2]