Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Indoor refuse pile?  (Read 3159 times)

Guillaume777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indoor refuse pile?
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:22:43 pm »

Hello,

Do items stored in an inside - but overground! -  refuse pile, disappear at the turn of the seasons?

Would such a pile produce miasma?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor refuse pile?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »

Wouldn't make miasma, but bones and other remains would eventually decay, yes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »

Not sure about that. I thought it was the Inside tag that mattered, not the Subterranean

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:53 pm »

Miasma doesn't move diagonally.  You can use this fact to create self-sealing refuse piles and workshops.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:04:33 am »

argh, didn't catch the inside part.

yeah, just use diagonals or use fortifications as a vent to the outside.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Guillaume777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:16:53 am »

Not sure about that. I thought it was the Inside tag that mattered, not the Subterranean

So, would the bones and remains decay or not... ?

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:49:08 am »

Does bone decay on stockpiles? If not, you can make a stockpile right next to the dump zone.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

Bones do not decay, which is handy if you've got a Bonecrafter.  Load him up with work and you'll find him making regular trips to your refuse pile for fresh bones.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:57 am »

Bones do eventually decay, but only after they've been sitting in your stockpile for YEARS. The refuse pile is really just a place to toss things that might have further value. Bones can be used to make bolts and armor, skulls can be made into totems, leather can be made into crafts (Crafts are great for trade, but not as good as the clothing of dead enemies) and armor,and shells can be made into armor and crafts (Though, shells are often a common requirement when it comes to fey/secretive moods). Be warned however, that an indoor refuse pile will generate miasma, so it's best to have a 2 square entrance, sealed with doors.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:12:14 am »

Refuse pile's just a place to put stuff to keep miasma out of your dwarves' way.  Mine generally double as partial-progress stockpiles and where the meat goes when it doesn't make it to the butcher/tanner's shop soon enough.  Nothing ever stays there permanently.

And as I mentioned earlier(and someone else backed up), it's much, much more efficient to make your refuse pile entrances diagonal.  No doors required, and miasma doesn't move diagonally, so it doesn't leak out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:13:46 am by Volfram »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:51 am »

this, for example, wouldn't leak.

|X_X_X_X_X_X_X_XX|
|_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X|
|X_X_X_X_X_X_X_XX|
|_______________X|
|____stockpile__X|
|_______________X|
|_______________X|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:53:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure bones will never decay if they're inside. Outside, though, they decay after a couple seasons.

Does someone have the answer to the OP's question? Would bones decay if above-ground, but inside a constructed building?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23:41 pm »

Hello,

Do items stored in an inside - but overground! -  refuse pile, disappear at the turn of the seasons?

Would such a pile produce miasma?

can't be sure of the first part. I would assume -not-, but I haven't tried it. I usually have an outdoor refuse pile where everything goes, then an indoor stockpile that takes just the bones and shells from the first.

for the second question, no, it would not generate miasma. if a tile has ever been exposed to outdoor light, it will be miasma free forever.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »

Hmm. I use my refuse piles as just that; refuse. Corpses, remains, and rotten food and skins. Any skulls, shells, or bones are dragged off to underground stockpiles.
Mostly, they're just used as temp storage for bodies. I tend to have big piles, because otherwise I literally run out of places to put the bodies.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »

[....] because otherwise I literally run out of places to put the bodies.

Skorpion USED to know where all the bodies are buried, but he lost track after the first thousand.
Pages: [1] 2