Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hero Cults  (Read 5778 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Cults
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:44 pm »

lolwut.

There was no Hell in Greece, there was only Hades, ruled by Hades, which was where everyone went. And he didn't kill Hades, it being really really hard to kill a God. He just got his love back from him. Not that that's not impressive.

Sorry, wrong again. Lots of people went to the underworld to reclaim lost loves, but Hercules (or "Eracles as he would be in anglicised classical Greek) was not one of them.

EDIT: He did go nuts and kill his wife and kids though.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:01 pm »

lolwut.

There was no Hell in Greece, there was only Hades, ruled by Hades, which was where everyone went. And he didn't kill Hades, it being really really hard to kill a God. He just got his love back from him. Not that that's not impressive.

Sorry, wrong again. Lots of people went to the underworld to reclaim lost loves, but Hercules (or "Eracles as he would be in anglicised classical Greek) was not one of them.

Ah. Figures. Either way, he was a smug git.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 08:15:29 pm »

Actually there was a Hell in Greece, Several of them.

But mainly here is how it is:

There is Hades, that is the nexus
Then there is the Ellesion Fields (spelled incorrectly) which is pretty much heaven
Then there is Tartarus which is basically modern day hell

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »

Greece is confusing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »

I don't see a difference (programatically) between a hero cult and new religion...  A hero cult is just a nacent one that will probably die out when the hero does.

Not exactly what was intended. What the OP meant was that a suitable dwarf could "ascend" onto godhood upon his death, in the same way as Heracles, Achilles, and other mythological figures
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 02:47:06 am »

I like the idea of great heroes either becoming minor demi-gods, saints, eternal champions of some god, etc. etc. so on and so forth.  Diverse and plentiful pantheons are fun, especially if they war and clash with other incompatible pantheons.

Thus did Copyright laws become incredably stupid.

While I believe there should be copyright... I don't think you should (You can but you shouldn't) be capable of copyrighting something that has been around for thousands of years.

Well at least Copyright laws arn't entirely silly. Apperantly you can't copyright function... or at least that is what I got from when Hooters tried to sue another restaurant for using sexy clothing.
-Note: Don't read too much into this. I have no respect for Hooters.

I normally refrain from political pitches, but I fear the world is slipping away from caring about the individual mad genius anymore.  If you don't like copyright abuses, patent abuses, governments supporting and propping up failures of undead corporate giants (*cough cough*  GM  *cough cough*), it's worth it to take a look.  They currently have representation in Sweden and a seat (possibly two in the near future) in the European Parliment.  Why be a dirty tree-hugging, fur-spray-painting liberal when you can raise high the Jolly Roger!
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 06:39:12 am »

Whether this makes any sense is largely dependent on how Toady's religion in general works

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 10:06:52 am »

I don't see a difference (programatically) between a hero cult and new religion...  A hero cult is just a nacent one that will probably die out when the hero does.

Not exactly what was intended. What the OP meant was that a suitable dwarf could "ascend" onto godhood upon his death, in the same way as Heracles, Achilles, and other mythological figures

That's exactly what was intended...  Unless you are claiming that Christ's literal ascension into heaven (Atheists: I mean the story goes literally ascended, not that that's exactly what happened historically... Chill out) is functionally different?  Fine, so according to the OP, the hero gets real world divine power and the cult doesn't die and it's not a new religion, but an addition to the pantheon, but these are all metaphysics questions to be handled by the metaphysics raws, not innate differences in the system.  It's a question of scale and variables, not basic process

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 12:03:25 pm »

No, there is a functional difference. The religion only gets formed AFTER he dies.

There is no indictation that the hero is acutally a god, just that the hero gets worshipped as a God.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »

No, there is a functional difference. The religion only gets formed AFTER he dies.

There is no indictation that the hero is acutally a god, just that the hero gets worshipped as a God.

Semantics based on the system... It's a single tag in the raw <NEWGODPOWER>  Just set it to zero.  I'm pretty sure that Buddhism and Christianity qualified as religions before their founder died.  They may have changed rapidly and drastically without a central authority, but they were still religions

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 08:35:16 pm »

lolwut.

He was driven insane by Hera because she hated him for being Zeus's bastard child. Hercules wasn't crazy, just stupid. Hercules ascended to godhood when he died mostly because of his fame and his relation to the gods.

He did, however, rescue the wife of one of his friends (mostly out of guilt because he got completely wasted while his friend was mourning) by putting Death in a headlock until he agreed to put her spirit back in her body.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 10:35:26 am »

Ah. did wikipedia tell you that or is it a genuine knowledge of classical mythology? I hope it's the latter, because it gives me hope that the entire earth hasn't become the intellectual wasteland I think it is.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:02 pm »

Well, I checked with wikipedia, but most of it I got from Edith Hamilton's book on mythology. It's a pretty good summary of Greek mythology, albeit a short one.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 12:50:33 pm »

Wasteland it is, then :D

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 04:37:03 am »

if heros are going to become worshippable then hero status should be harder to attain. It's ridiculous that by just having some dudes spar in the barracks ad nauseam they will become objects of worship.

Albeit, TBH, one did kill a patrol of a hammergoblin and several bowgoblins without suffering any damage (which I didnt expect). Seems armor and shield do add survivavility.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4