Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hero Cults  (Read 5783 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hero Cults
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_hero

Suggestion: If an adventurer dies, he has a chance of being deified as a God. The more famous he is, the more likely he is to be deified. Will go well with any Religious Arc in the future.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Cults
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:43:43 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_hero

Suggestion: If an adventurer dies, he has a chance of being deified as a God. The more famous he is, the more likely he is to be deified. Will go well with any Religious Arc in the future.

DeathStalker - Killed Every Elf with only a hammer.  Ascended to Valhalla after 73,000 human druids set a trap for him using Chinese food as bait and killed him with silver spikes while he was confused with their bad logic like "meat is murder" and "Please, Please we speak for the trees"

Now worshiped by dwarves and smart humans everywhere.

Opposed by liberal tree hugging cowards.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:27 am »

What would happen to Captain Ironblood and the rest of the dwarfs of Nist Akath?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:11:54 am »

Obviously, they actually would become gods.

This is an awesome suggestion

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:09:23 am »

Yeah, I also like this idea, not to mention that it would fit well into the "DF gameplay theme".  :)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:11:31 am »

as long as it's a 'god', not a God.
Then I support this suggestion!

Edit: Yeah, it's fixed. It was just my grammar nazi spirit coming up...
Edit 2: Actually, I meant as long as it's not a God, as in, deitified as a supreme deity. Hah. So I put back my 'a'
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:19:36 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:11 am »

as long as it's a 'god', not a God.
Then I support this suggestion!

Uhhh if you mean what I THINK you mean... then the second "a" is very out of place and ultimately makes your second "god" a capitalisation mistake.

I disliked this whole "Capitalising god is a sin" that I got from children in elementary school.

The suggestion isn't exactly new but I am surprised that it is being received much better then all the other many incarnates. So good work Corps!

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:13:02 am »

Love the idea, mostly for legends mode.  If goblins can worship demons, dwarves can give their heroes similar respect.

Should this deification happen during the hero's lifetime, or after he's invariably snuffed it?  Both kind of make sense, but need to be implemented differently.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:55 pm »

And if they have enough woreshipers they gain power?

Like a god could randromly "pocess" a unit or animal witch then trys to kill/do the things that god/hero did when he/she was alive.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:36:49 pm »

I think having in-game effects is a bit above and beyond the idea. I like the idea of raising truly epic heroes to legendary proportions, even "demi-god" status but actually implementing a D&D style "# of worshipers = gods power level (currently hovering at around 9,000)  is crossing the good/bad line and entering horrid-ville.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 04:08:20 pm »

Yeah, I hate the idea of "more worshippers=more power". That's rarely how real religions works. You worship a diety because the diety has power, not, "I want this diety to have power, therefore I worship him."

As for if deification should happen when a person is alive, hm, I can't see why not. Alexander The Great got himself deified when he is alive. I suppose that there need to be a priesthood you need to go to, and then you need to have enough fame and convince the priests to make you a God.

But if you haven't gone through the process, and you die, you may still turn into a God anyway.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »

Unfortunately according to DMCA and the updated copyright laws the makers of Xena and Hercules has copyright on all Greek mythology (the prior arts objection was waived after evidence to the contrary had been deposited into the judge's account) and you'll have to licence any concepts you wish to use.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »

Unfortunately according to DMCA and the updated copyright laws the makers of Xena and Hercules has copyright on all Greek mythology (the prior arts objection was waived after evidence to the contrary had been deposited into the judge's account) and you'll have to licence any concepts you wish to use.

That sounds absolutely rediculous.

Then again the Licensing laws have just been getting more and more rediculous so a TV-show that hasn't made an episode for years and years (and has ended) being capable of locking out concepts that have been around for thousands of years so nothing would surprise me.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 04:24:43 am »

Differing mediums? Obviously no one told the makers of the recent Jason/argonauts game. ::)
I smell a fool.

If they're worshipped after death, would that make them saints? Would it be possible for the game to differentiate in later versions? (say, if your character does enough pious quests for a civ, they will worship them after death)
Reminds me of something I heard - there was a town (iirc, Italian) in which lived a man who did a lot for the people there, but was ultimately quite an arsehole. Deciding they needed to get rid of him & show how much they appreciated what he had done ... they decided to make him a Saint.
I've never found the actual event this relates to, but I'm guessing it went something like this...
Them: "You've done so much for us; we can only think of one way to honour you enough. Sainthood."
Him: "Wait a minute, don't you have to be dead before you become a saint?"
Them: "Yes." *stab*
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 12:07:58 pm »

Differing mediums? Obviously no one told the makers of the recent Jason/argonauts game. ::)
I smell a fool.

What you should be smelling is a licence agreement. Relatedly, apparently Lucasfilms has filed copyrights for Biblic and Egyptian themes. South American religion and mythology was already owned by another studio though, so some negotiations (still not settled) are taking place.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4