Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Climbable Enemies  (Read 4292 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Climbable Enemies
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:47:48 pm »

I know that Climbing will be put in, as well as multible tile monsters, so what if it was possible to climb enemies Shadow of the Colossus style?

And yes, someone already beat me to it, but that topic died a year ago.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Climbable Enemies
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:55:27 pm »

Needs multi-tile creatures, first. Also, I doubt it'd be very effective.

That said, a good idea.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:44:50 pm »

Then, we can use rope ladders to hang off of their arms, and build stuff on them. Woopee.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:33:18 am »

Needs multi-tile creatures, first. Also, I doubt it'd be very effective.

That said, a good idea.

Not necessarily.

If we make size "accurate", then you are only able to attack certain parts of a creature at melee range unless you climb on it.

Example: a 100-foot tall Bronze Colossus. You cannot strike it in the head at ground level, but you can strike its legs, and its hands when it reaches down to attack.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:17 am »

Example: a 100-foot tall Bronze Colossus. You cannot strike it in the head at ground level, but you can strike its legs, and its hands when it reaches down to attack.
Surely you know its just a matter of removing the nail from their ankle? :P

On topic though, climbable creatures makes sense, remember the hobbits climbing treebeard? Would be amusing if you did so in game and the tree ate you.

I didn't know Toady was going to add multitile creatures, has he said as much?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:01:48 am »

I don't think he commented much on Multitile creatures other then explaining the code limitations of such.

I wouldn't really expect too much since he has only seemed to refer to it when speaking of sieges.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:51:43 am »

I meant in a combat sense. The creature could really just flick you off.

That said, I'm sure there's a use for it.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:10 am »

Creatures have to be multi-tiled for this to work? ... yeah probably. walls are 2 tiles so I don't see why creatures couldn't be.
I ... don't really see what they'd be for though. A troll climbs a troll who climbs a troll who climbs a troll and suddenly goblins pour out from the central shaft?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:04:32 am »

I meant in a combat sense. The creature could really just flick you off.

That said, I'm sure there's a use for it.

No Nothing that I am aware of. It likely won't ever happen appart from Wagons, boats, and similar.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:59:54 am »

I don't think he commented much on Multitile creatures other then explaining the code limitations of such.

I wouldn't really expect too much since he has only seemed to refer to it when speaking of sieges.

Yeah. I've done a search.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5801.msg73147#msg73147
Aside from display, the main issue for me and multi-tile creatures is path-finding.  It's more annoying to move large blocks around on the grid, and it might not be very clear to a player during adventure mode when they are allowed to move if there's a lot of overlap in that numeric system.  Just moving into empty squares is much easier to think about.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21498.msg384144#msg384144
I'm pretty comfortable with not specifying square sizes.  It's a ginormous mess to get into that.  At the same time, some of the plans will require steps in that direction, such as large item piles (so you could have a giant skull mound to slide down in adv mode for instance) and multi-tile trees to hop around on.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=1788.msg28203#msg28203
It's not the same effort; it's a great deal more effort.  Just having a chase routine isn't sufficient -- if the multi-tile creature chases something and manages to get around a corner, it'll then be stuck or have some very rudimentary routines to try to get out, which would be anticlimactic.  I prefer the large creatures to have brains (or at least potential brains) than extra tiles.  The main issue is path finding and how it currently handles it via connected component numberings, which really only work perfectly for creatures that move like dwarves now.  Other creatures currently work mostly okay with them, but multi-tile creatures wouldn't work at all.  I don't think it would be impossible to change this, but I don't have and have not seen any feasible ideas for handling the issue.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:17 am »

This reminds me of the story of the ants that are attacking an elephant.

The elephant just shakes em off easily, but one is holding on tight to the throat of the big beast.

The ants on the floor stare at their brave brother in awe(yea, in reality it's a sister, actually) and scream "CHOKE HIM, CARL, CHOKE HIM!"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 01:47:34 pm »

Tormy I wont quote your post but this is a reply to you; That sucks, I know he said its not impossible and but its something I'd like to see in game, multitile creatures I mean, Ivan has some multitile creatures but I haven't got far into it yet and haven't found any moving ones.

Good job finding the official line on this one.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:12 am »

To me the obvious extension of this is a pair of Goblins using each other to spring over walls?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 07:31:30 am »

Tormy I wont quote your post but this is a reply to you; That sucks, I know he said its not impossible and but its something I'd like to see in game, multitile creatures I mean, Ivan has some multitile creatures but I haven't got far into it yet and haven't found any moving ones.

Good job finding the official line on this one.

Yeah, I am with you mate. I would like to see multi-tile creatures to get implemented also. Let's hope that Toady will be able to code it in eventually..  :)

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 06:32:26 am »

Why do people in the forums have an obsession bordering on the fetishistic about making DF more like other games or Lord of the Rings other fantasy sources? If you want to play Shadow of the Colossus, then play Shadow of the Colossus.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2