Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF on a netbook?  (Read 2107 times)

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on a netbook?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »

For what it's worth I have run it on my Dell Mini 9, though it's really more enjoyable on my main PC.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

I've been running DF on my laptop (no clue on the specs, although it is vista) with few problems (I have slightly different key settings for every version though).

It'll occasionally do annoying things with full screen, but I make do.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 02:34:09 am »

Back to the TOPIC of netbooks

The ASUS EEEPC 1000 has the Fn keys that allow you to use a numpad, which I've been using on my laptop for a while so I'm used to it.

I disabled weather, cave-ins, temperature, and set the embark location to 2x2 but it still barely crept up to 50fps. Playable, but pretty sluggish and when I'm used to playing at, i dunno, 250-400 fps that's pretty unbearable.

I'm contemplating actually using my netbook as a VNC window to the other computer's DF instance. Over the LAN, it should be able to refresh pretty quick.

I'm still interested in the potential of compiling for Atom-based machines. But of course, we've all been interested in recompilation (like for multi-core) for a while and it seems the answer is later, when it's closer to being done.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 09:22:55 am »

Do you have Partial Print turned on?

Are you running anything in the background?
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:56 pm »

Update:
On a 2x2 embark  with Partial Print turned up to 18-ish (on ASUS 1000HE) and on battery power (auto performance mode) it runs about 90fps on a new embark, slowing to 40-50 when it rains.

2x2 is pretty small... but without AC power I am afraid it would be impossible to go with a larger area, much less have a hundred dwarves.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 07:43:54 am »

STOP WITH THE NUMPADS

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 09:26:27 am »

Last night, I sat down and played DF for several hours for the first time in months(turns out I needed that).

Intel Celeron M
1.5Ghz RAM
Windows Vista
Version 40d11 with the new render system(seriously people, use it, it works miracles)
9x9 diagonal walls tileset, running 111x78 tile window(yeah, the 9x9 tilesets do funny things to your resolution)

Now while my laptop isn't exactly a netbook, at a year and a half old and having been in the same price range as modern netbooks, it's a reasonable comparison(aside from the fact that my screen's a lot bigger).  My sister's new EEEPC manages to outperform it just slightly.

4x4 embark: 166 FPS

2 years later with 60 dwarves killing each other from miasma, trying to get a fog machine up: 60-ish FPS.

After the fog machine was completed: typically 90 FPS, dropping occasionally when all of my idlers suddenly went to haul furniture around.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.
Pages: 1 [2]