Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF on a netbook?  (Read 2106 times)

ChadSlambody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF on a netbook?
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:28:39 pm »

Hey has anyone tried running DF on a netbook (like the Asus Eee PC)?  I imagine that it might be slow as tar, but the idea of a super-portable fortress is just too appealing...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: DF on a netbook?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:06:57 pm »

I've genned a few (medium-sized) worlds on an Eee before. Took longer than usual (as compared to my desktop) but still at a decent speed. A few minutes (1-3) for each world.

I haven't actually tried doing anything beyond genning and exporting world files, though. =/
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:53 pm »

Lack of numpad makes it annoying to play on my EEE.   Really though, buying a netbook just for a dedicated DF-machine isn't a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »

I have successfully got 40d9 to run on my Toshiba Satellite... with Vista.

The lack of a number pad is annoying, though.  So is having portable DF -- it tends to chew into places it shouldn't when on the move.  Like... seminars.  Boring boring seminars.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:57 pm »

What's the problem with having no number pad?

Just redefine the keys via the start menu..   er, that's what I did to play on my laptop while on the go.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:58 pm »

I actually went the extra distance and bought an external USB number pad for my laptop, like so (same model as below):

I paid something like $15 for it.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

ChadSlambody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:19 am »

Lack of numpad makes it annoying to play on my EEE.   Really though, buying a netbook just for a dedicated DF-machine isn't a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

Oh, ha, no...not buying one just for DF! ;)  I've been on the knife-edge of getting one for a while for a bunch of small convenience reasons.  This may push me over the edge.

So, besides the number pad, how do you like it on your Eee?  Is it overly slow?

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:22:47 am »

I have it on the eee as well.  It runs d11 ok I guess, but you'll really be feeling the larger forts.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »

before I got this laptop (HP dv9847ca), I had an Acer 2Ghz without a numpad on it.  I find that the ()_+ keys work well for the secondary selectors
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

ChadSlambody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:41 am »

Just found on that a friend of mine plays DF on her Acer One netbook and she loves it.  Huzzah!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:08 am »

The newest Eee PCs have stats slightly ahead of my laptop, which is my primary computer and is slightly better than my desktop(save for the video card.  Intel GMA vs. Ati Radeon.  Even at that, I think the Intel can crunch more polygons than the Radeon, it just doesn't have as good shader support).  I've gotten solid 50FPS since I started playing DF, and the newest graphics patches have pushed that into the 100+ FPS area, so yes, your typical netbook should handle the game just fine.

Lack of a numpad is a bit annoying, though.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:48:03 am »

I just recently ran a world on my rinky-dinky laptop, it actually ran really well, 200 FPS with 7 dwarves, I was impressed.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:55:38 am »

What were your specs, Smew?

I am running DF 40d11 and get about 24 fps on a good gen. Very slow on the Intel Atom processor, despite 1.6 ghz.

I heard it's an architecture limiitation that makes software like DF run slowly. Can this be solved by recompiling for this architecture?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 06:08:14 pm »

I actually went the extra distance and bought an external USB number pad for my laptop, like so (same model as below):

I paid something like $15 for it.
I have that exact number pad. My brother got it for me for my B-day, after hearing me complain of just that.

If it wasn't for Vista, my laptop would be great. If I ever get around to installing Linux again, it will really be great. Stability and better compatibility (sadly) than Vista. I just wish I remembered how I got HOMM1 working in Wine. 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:41 pm »

I have a laptop; I mapped the secondary select keys to the - and = keys to the left of the number line, and secondary page select to shift+ those keys.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2